The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 ~ 21 May 2012 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by khalidpatel
If I get 458 out of 600 what overall grade is that??

It always works as follows:

80% UMS is an A

70% UMS is a B

60% UMS is a C

50% UMS is a D

40% UMS is an E

< 40% UMS is a U

458/600 is a B.
I was wondering if anyone could help in total for my as biology I got 206 ums in the 2 exams I got 68 ums and 105 ums but we did two ISA in the year and they have used my bad one which I got a D in with 33 ums to make my overall grade. However in the first ISA we did I got a B with a raw mark of 38 (don't know how to work out ums) would this have changed my overall grade to a B instead of a C if they used the correct ISA result? The maximum ums was for all three combined. And because they have made this mistake what do I do to sort it out?
Original post by kristy-jade
I was wondering if anyone could help in total for my as biology I got 206 ums in the 2 exams I got 68 ums and 105 ums but we did two ISA in the year and they have used my bad one which I got a D in with 33 ums to make my overall grade. However in the first ISA we did I got a B with a raw mark of 38 (don't know how to work out ums) would this have changed my overall grade to a B instead of a C if they used the correct ISA result? The maximum ums was for all three combined. And because they have made this mistake what do I do to sort it out?

I would guess yes bcause you only need 4 more UMS overall to get into the B range. One grade in the ISA is 6 UMS, so you will defo go up a grade if you have indeed got a B instead of a D in the ISA.
The bad news is that I think it is too late to sort it out. Maybe you could get your school to apply for a remark of your coursework, but I think they have to be odered in bulk (i.e. entire class), so I'm not sure that would be available. You certainly can't submit that ISA for 2013 certification/moderation, because it uses the old experiment/exam if that makes sense. Maybe you should resit it.
Are you 100% sure that your school sent the wrong one? It is possible that your class's ISAs were just moderated down.
Anyway, I'm sure if you tell all of this to your teachers they will predict you a B, so it won't affect your uni application too much. You are also only 4 UMS of a B, so if you get a B at A2 that should cancel this out.
Original post by When you see it...
I would guess yes bcause you only need 4 more UMS overall to get into the B range. One grade in the ISA is 6 UMS, so you will defo go up a grade if you have indeed got a B instead of a D in the ISA.
The bad news is that I think it is too late to sort it out. Maybe you could get your school to apply for a remark of your coursework, but I think they have to be odered in bulk (i.e. entire class), so I'm not sure that would be available. You certainly can't submit that ISA for 2013 certification/moderation, because it uses the old experiment/exam if that makes sense. Maybe you should resit it.
Are you 100% sure that your school sent the wrong one? It is possible that your class's ISAs were just moderated down.
Anyway, I'm sure if you tell all of this to your teachers they will predict you a B, so it won't affect your uni application too much. You are also only 4 UMS of a B, so if you get a B at A2 that should cancel this out.

Thanks, its just really annoying because when they told me my second ISA result of a D my teacher said so obviously we will send of the B! and then didn't. i know that it will probably get pulled up next year its just not really fair because i havnt been awarded what i deserve :frown:. i tried to ring my school when i realised but it was shut and has been since which means there was nothing i could do. thanks for the advice anyway and i will have to see when i go back to school next week
Reply 3724
so err have the mark schemes been released yet? Because I have my requested script back and want to go through it all. xx
Original post by Wigg
so err have the mark schemes been released yet? Because I have my requested script back and want to go through it all. xx

What did you get in unit 2?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Wigg

Mark schemes aren't officially released by AQA until approximately 9-10 months ago after the examination. This is mainly so that teachers can use the exam as a fair mock for the following year's students.

Here is the policy: http://web.aqa.org.uk/pub_policies/past_papers.php

If you have requested a script then when you receive it you'll have to show it to a teacher and get them to check it for you (as they'll have access to the mark scheme via e-AQA). They should go through it with you and show you where you lost marks and how you improve.
Reply 3727
Original post by Tullia
Mark schemes aren't officially released by AQA until approximately 9-10 months ago after the examination. This is mainly so that teachers can use the exam as a fair mock for the following year's students.

Here is the policy: http://web.aqa.org.uk/pub_policies/past_papers.php

If you have requested a script then when you receive it you'll have to show it to a teacher and get them to check it for you (as they'll have access to the mark scheme via e-AQA). They should go through it with you and show you where you lost marks and how you improve.

Ah that seems fair enough.

I got 100/140. :frown: A lot lower than the mock to tell the truth.
Original post by Wigg
I got 100/140. :frown: A lot lower than the mock to tell the truth.

Which past paper did you use for your mock? It may have been that the questions were kinder to your understanding in that particular paper.

I wouldn't be too disheartened though, as you're only about five marks from an A and so although there is room for improvement, you know that you must have a reasonable understanding of certain topics.

When the script arrives ask your teacher to go through it with you and show you the breakdown of your marks so you can see where you lost individual marks and what the mark scheme was looking for in those particular questions. You'll probably find that you understand some topics completely but there were a few weaker areas that let you down.
Reply 3729
Original post by Tullia
Which past paper did you use for your mock? It may have been that the questions were kinder to your understanding in that particular paper.

I wouldn't be too disheartened though, as you're only about five marks from an A and so although there is room for improvement, you know that you must have a reasonable understanding of certain topics.

When the script arrives ask your teacher to go through it with you and show you the breakdown of your marks so you can see where you lost individual marks and what the mark scheme was looking for in those particular questions. You'll probably find that you understand some topics completely but there were a few weaker areas that let you down.

I believe it was Jan 2010 - I remember it had a lot of questions about seahorses (which I mistakenly called 'starfishes' for no real reason).

I got the paper back and it's pretty much what I expected - good on the zoological sections, less good on the ones with cyanide and stem pressures. I seemed to do quite bad on the HSW questions as well.

Do you know whether it would be possible to do BIO at a good university now with (an admittedly) C? It's the only course I can see myself doing - even though I scored much higher in CHEM and ENG...

It was the damn EMPA that killed me; I probably need to superrevise next years one. :frown:
I have a really good resource for Biology Unit 2, however, it is too big to place on studentroom, I know it is a bit late but if you are thinking of retaking in Jan, PM me your email address if interested because my teacher gave this out for Unit 2.

Is extensive but you can always cherry pick what you want from it. =)
I would put on here but is too big for TSR.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
I have a really good resource for Biology Unit 2, however, it is too big to place on studentroom, I know it is a bit late but if you are thinking of retaking in Jan, PM me your email address if interested because my teacher gave this out for Unit 2.

You can always upload it somewhere that allows such a large file to be hosted and then put the reference link in a post on here.
Original post by Tullia
You can always upload it somewhere that allows such a large file to be hosted and then put the reference link in a post on here.

I don't have an account on any websites other than MSN, YouTube and TSR. =l
I don't have an account on any websites other than MSN, YouTube and TSR. =l

You can always make an account on a hosting website for this very purpose. In the long run it's easier on you and everyone else, as having to PM you and wait on your reply and you actually having to reply is a bit of a hassle. Trust me, I've been in your situation.

Send it bro here's my email: [Mod edit: Email address removed. Please use PMs]

Just lemme kno once u sent it!!
Thanksssss

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3735
anyone got the june 2012 markscheme?
Lost mine and now cant find it anywhere *sobs*
help please :frown:
Reply 3736
Original post by StutZz
anyone got the june 2012 markscheme?
Lost mine and now cant find it anywhere *sobs*
help please :frown:

If you had looked at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2193054
22 hours ago, you would have seen that I uploaded it :/
at the end of the first cycle = 2 cellsat the end of the second = both cells divide so 4 cellsat the end of the third= these 4 cells each divide so now there are 8 cells

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending