The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 ~ 21 May 2012 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

I was just wondering if someone could explain to me why a smaller organism has a small surface area to volume ratio?

Sorry I'm one of those people who doesn't understand the easy things!

Thanks.
Original post by starfish232
I was just wondering if someone could explain to me why a smaller organism has a small surface area to volume ratio?

Thanks.

A smaller organism will have a larger surface area to volume ratio.

Has that cleared up any confusion already or was it just a typing error in the initial post? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by starfish232

Thanks.

A smaller organism has a greater surface area:volume ratio.

As an object increases in size its volume increases as the cube of its linear dimensions while surface area increases as the square.

Basically, an objects volume increases at a greater rate than its surface area.
Original post by Mocking_bird
Good luck to you too :smile:

Just a tip though, don't rely on the CGP guide. They are good books in terms of explanation and easy to understand; but my teacher told us they only give you enough information to get a C (obviously slightly dependent on what the actual questions are but you get what i mean :tongue:). The Nelson Thorne books are always good; although it can be seen as the opposite way round as sometimes they give too much explanation :laugh:.

No revision guide should be relied upon as primary source for exam prep but they are excellent reminders of concepts already learnt along the way. I have several guides for each unit and various subscriptions to various help help websites...i need it!:banana:
Reply 124
Good luck to you too :smile:

Just a tip though, don't rely on the CGP guide. They are good books in terms of explanation and easy to understand; but my teacher told us they only give you enough information to get a C (obviously slightly dependent on what the actual questions are but you get what i mean :tongue:). The Nelson Thorne books are always good; although it can be seen as the opposite way round as sometimes they give too much explanation :laugh:.

I'm stressed!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have any of my unit 2 notes from last year and last year I used the NT book, but don't have it anymore..(Didn't think of resitting - clever thinking I had) and now i'm depending on the CGP guide for unit 2. I know it's missing a lot of the stuff but what can I do??! Argh I need more notes :frown:
Original post by EffKayy
I'm stressed!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have any of my unit 2 notes from last year and last year I used the NT book, but don't have it anymore..(Didn't think of resitting - clever thinking I had) and now i'm depending on the CGP guide for unit 2. I know it's missing a lot of the stuff but what can I do??! Argh I need more notes :frown:

This is screaming "GIVE ME SOME OF YOUR CLASS NOTES" :wink: :wink:

Give me a iccle bit and i'll pm you them.
Reply 126
This is screaming "GIVE ME SOME OF YOUR CLASS NOTES" :wink: :wink:

Give me a iccle bit and i'll pm you them.

Actually I wanted a little rant but omg that would be great hahah!
Do you type your notes up? :smile:

And when easter comes, i'm going to get this thread LIVE! Good old BIOL1 times :biggrin: :P
A smaller organism will have a larger surface area to volume ratio.

Has that cleared up any confusion already or was it just a typing error in the initial post? :tongue:

It was a typing error. Sorry about that and thanks! :smile:
Original post by Tullia
A smaller organism has a greater surface area:volume ratio.

As an object increases in size its volume increases as the cube of its linear dimensions while surface area increases as the square.

Basically, an objects volume increases at a greater rate than its surface area.

Thanks!
Original post by EffKayy
Actually I wanted a little rant but omg that would be great hahah!
Do you type your notes up? :smile:

And when easter comes, i'm going to get this thread LIVE! Good old BIOL1 times :biggrin: :P

Nah but the booklets we get given are on the intranet - they have a few bits and bobs missing that we've had to write in but the vast majority of it is there.

Does your college not have a library to take out any revision books or anything?
Does anyone know an easy way to remember the layers of the vein,artery and capillary?

Thanks!
Original post by EffKayy
x

"EffKayy has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

I see how it is!
Reply 132
Original post by Tullia
Sat it in January. Got 100UMS.

wow.. well done, i only got 70 :frown:
Reply 133
"EffKayy has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

I see how it is!

Nah but the booklets we get given are on the intranet - they have a few bits and bobs missing that we've had to write in but the vast majority of it is there.

Does your college not have a library to take out any revision books or anything?

Sorry - I just casually like to have a full inbox :wink: haha cleared it out no w=)

And ooh! We're not allowed to take books like those out, they're called 'reference books' at my school so we can only use them in the library itself.. so yeah \:

Thankyou!
Is there a thread like this for unit 1? Is it even worth making one as most people seem to have sat it in January?
Original post by FuzzBuzz
wow.. well done, i only got 70 :frown:

Thank you. :smile:

Are you going to be resitting in May then?
Reply 136
Original post by When you see it...
Is there a thread like this for unit 1? Is it even worth making one as most people seem to have sat it in January?

Go for it, many people will be resitting.
any one got access to jan 2012 paper? i found it somewhere but seem to have lost the link to which thread it was on :/ HELP
to be perfectly honest i found the January 2012 unit 2 paper very easy i can post some of the questions on if you want
Reply 139
Original post by Tullia
Thank you. :smile:

Are you going to be resitting in May then?

umm.. no I am gonna concentrate on unit 2 and then maybe resit in Jan next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending