Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TTT Training

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    You have? Where?

Also, deciding to stalk your old posts is hilarious.

Of your started threads at least 50% were in the bin though and they were the funniest ones...
    http://www.esnpro.co.uk/carlsberg-do...nals-t268.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thatold blog you kept.. my lifts are at where you started on it... At least it gives me an idea on how long i have to keep at this
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OK today was shoulder day and I bro'd so hard I wasn't really counting sets or anything. Workout started at 3:50 and finished around 4:50.

Listened to this before I went. brilliant band:

Push press
    60x3 cleaned first rep
    60x5 cleaned first rep
    80x3 cleaned every rep
    90x3 cleaned first and second rep
    95x4 cleaned first rep
    90x2 cleaned first rep
    The clean takes quite a bit out of me, so I'm pretty pleased with 95x4

Strict press
    60x5
    60x5
    60x5
    55x5

Machine press giant set - same notation as last giant set except I can remember even less.
    45x6
    45x4
    40x5
    40x6
    35x6
    35x7
    25x6

Superset lateral raises (actual weight) with rear delt machine (don't know weight)
    8kgx10
    some machine weight x 15
    10x10
    machine x15
    13x10
    machine x15
    6x10 slow negatives
    machine x12 slow negatives
    drop set 13x4, 10x4, 6x4
    machine x15
    10x10
    machine x15
    6x10 slow negatives
    machine x15

Might have done more than this, I was paying so little attention this may aswell be completely made up but it gives a good impression of the volume I did

Concentration curls giant set
    13x7
    10x8
    8x10
    same giant set notation except this set wasn't that giant

In other news my housemate will be on the radio at urn1350.net from 1 until 3 tonight so if you are nocturnal-ish and like indie music it's the place to be.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Legs - after 2 massive workouts I was due a worse one and that's what I got. Training time was probably about an hour.

Squats
    60x5
    100x5
    140x3
    160x1
    170x1
    160x1

RDL
    60x10
    100x8
    100x8
    100x8
    130x4
    need some straps to make this an effective ham exercise I think

Leg extension
    basically did sets of 10 on each leg, trying to focus on the contraction, until I couldn't walk.

Leg curl
    Giant drop set, same method as usual, probably ended up with about 50 reps or so

Calf raise
    50x15
    drop set 50x10, 40x7, 30x10, 15x15

This workout made me think. I reckon a lot of strength trainers have a bad idea of what to do on a bad workout. There's Jim Wendler's idea of "go in, do a top set and get out" which I've done in the past and I know Michael did since people called him a drama queen for it. It's short term thinking that kind of misses the point. Your goal for a bad workout should not be to make it into as good looking a workout as possible by taking extra rest, cutting assistance and trying to put up a relatively big number. It should be to relax a bit, forget about numbers and get some work done so that you build some muscle and strength so that your next workout on that bodypart/exercise isn't crap. I think the wider repertoire of exercises BBers have combined with their caring less about numbers is something a lot of people could learn from in this situation. I still don't think I did a great job of dealing with it, but better than I would in the past. Food for thought.

On a less bodybuildery note, I'm going to change my squat form back to the old days. I have briefs in case my hip feels it. I think the form I use at the moment and have been since for ages may have left me with weak hips, particularly adductors.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    This workout made me think. I reckon a lot of strength trainers have a bad idea of what to do on a bad workout. There's Jim Wendler's idea of "go in, do a top set and get out" which I've done in the past and I know Michael did since people called him a drama queen for it. It's short term thinking that kind of misses the point. Your goal for a bad workout should not be to make it into as good looking a workout as possible by taking extra rest, cutting assistance and trying to put up a relatively big number. It should be to relax a bit, forget about numbers and get some work done so that you build some muscle and strength so that your next workout on that bodypart/exercise isn't crap. I think the wider repertoire of exercises BBers have combined with their caring less about numbers is something a lot of people could learn from in this situation. I still don't think I did a great job of dealing with it, but better than I would in the past. Food for thought.
    I think I'm coming around to this way of thinking too. My log doesn't really reflect it, but I don't always put everything I do in my log. But yeah, I'm starting to agree with this too.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    To make RDLs a more effective hamstring exercise, rather than using straps and no doubt thus even more weight and reps, you could try focusing more on form, time under tension and feeling the weight in the correct areas.

My philosophy on RDLs used to be that whilst they were a secondary exercise it was still important to use as much weight as possible on them. So I'd break out the straps and stuff and go balls to the wall on them and I think at one point I did up to three plates, or close to it (I know I definitely did 130 x 5/6 and I think it was without straps).

But then I watched the Rippetoe video on them and read the 70sbig post on them and changed my view a lot.

Before, I wasn't getting the full benefit of them on the hamstrings as what was happening was that I was essentially doing a ****ty SLDL from the hang rather than the type of movement that would be of particular benefit to the hamstrings. Felt them a lot in my back but not so much my hamstrings.

Now I treat them as a lift where the actual weight used is fairly irrelevant and as a lift to get a good stretch in the hamstrings, learn to keep the low back tight and the bar close to the legs. Doing them this way gives me the sort of DOMS that makes you walk about like you've just been sodomised. I definitely prefer them this way and get much more benefit out of them now.

Regarding bad workouts, I slightly disagree with your hypothesis. I think that being able to turn bad workouts into good ones has a massive mental boost. Long term progress is made by stringing a long series of successful workouts together and a ****ty workout can break this chain, especially mentally.

Not every workout can be entirely successful (where success equals hitting your planned weights, sets and reps on all of your target exercises) but I've found that even if you have one disappointment then you can make up for it via other PRing on other exercises. A string of PRs builds momentum that can be lost if you have one poor workout and just give up altogether that day.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rest day, here are some things I liked from around the internet

Music:
    Childish Gambino

Football:
    Combine "busts."

Big Balls Pete Carroll

Other stuff:

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chest and triceps. Hungover

Incline press
    20x10
    60x5
    80x5
    80x5
    75x5
    70x5
    70x5
    70x3
    75x3
    80x3
    60x10
    drop set 50x12 40x6

CGBP
    60x5
    80x3
    100x1

triceps
    25x15
    20x15
    15x15
    15x15
    10x15

fly
    varying weights, all with peak contraction

Just watched this. Don't even know the context but it's hilarious IMO.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back day. My favourite

Deadlifts
    60x5
    100x5
    140x3
    170x1
    170x1
    170x1
    170x1
    170x1
    170x1
    200x1

Barbell row
    60x5
    80x5
    80x5
    100x5
    100x5
    60x10

DB row giant set
    70x5
    60x8
    60x7
    46x8
    46x6

Straight bar pulldown
    50x10
    50x10
    50x10

BTN pulldown
    30x10
    30x10
    30x10
    30x10
    30x10
    30x10

EZ preacher curl
    25x7
    25x8
    25x6

Everything felt a bit weaker until the DB rows which felt very strong compared to last week. Hands felt stronger on them which is probably a big part. Then again everything up until them was heavier than last week so overall good workout.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol at GG/SNSD they're catchy (and hot) but dont know what the **** they're saying. My sister loves them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There needs to be more SNSD love in this thread IMO.

(Original post by Addzter)

Something for everyone else:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A bit ill over the weekend, not the best couple of days ever. Played football yesterday and just felt really bad. Didn't hit a single person in the face all morning. Thing about playing safety is if you're feeling **** it's easier to just avoid stuff like that and carry on feeling **** the whole session. Had a few moments of good coverage, a few terrible moments. The scheme I was learning doesn't make as much sense to me as the ones I know either, probably just because I haven't had it explained to me in detail.

Shoulder day. Still didn't feel good but I feel like I made the best of a bad session. Started at about 5:35 and finished around 6:55.

Push press from rack
    20x8
    20x5
    20x5
    60x5 used sleeves on this but they bunched up between my arm and forearm and hurt my elbow. took them off
    60x5
    80x3
    wraps
    90x2
    95x2
    100x2
    80x3
    80x3
    every rep from the first triple with 80 felt like almost a miss. Pleased with 100x2 given that but I'm sure I'm stronger than this

Machine giant set
    50x3
    50x1 (spotted)
    40x6
    40x5
    30x6
    30x8
    20x10
    20x10
    20x9
    20x9

After this I decided to do 10 sets of lateral raises alternated with face pulls. Ended up with 8 sets of face pulls, 1 set of curls and 10 of lateral raises. Just grabbed whichever DBs I could really so there's not much point writing it down.

Had a fairly broerific pump I think. Here's a picture. I dunno. I don't think my shoulders are usually this big. Maybe they are in which case it's more a picture of how cool I am. Or how crappy I am. I don't really know anything about bodybuilding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2wrde7q.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	137255
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Legs. Suffering with some asthma, probably the after effects of being ill. Not serious but enough so that I can't think about much except my breathing

Squats
    20x10
    60x5
    80x3
    100x3
    120x3
    140x2
    160x2
    briefs
    160x2
    160x2
    briefs off
    140x3
    140x3
    Sitting back but pretty high bar. Can't be arsed with low bar. Felt better than the narrow stance squats I have been doing, breathing notwithstanding

About 10 sets of leg curls, ascending until I could do only 5 and then a few back off sets

About 5 sets of leg extensions.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Legs. Suffering with some asthma, probably the after effects of being ill. Not serious but enough so that I can't think about much except my breathing

Squats
    20x10
    60x5
    80x3
    100x3
    120x3
    140x2
    160x2
    briefs
    160x2
    160x2
    briefs off
    140x3
    140x3
    Sitting back but pretty high bar. Can't be arsed with low bar. Felt better than the narrow stance squats I have been doing, breathing notwithstanding

About 10 sets of leg curls, ascending until I could do only 5 and then a few back off sets

About 5 sets of leg extensions.
    I literally developed asthma this past year at the age of 27. Never had it in my life, but apparently it can develop in some adult cases. Really annoying. Mine's year-round though, not just when I'm ill.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I literally developed asthma this past year at the age of 27. Never had it in my life, but apparently it can develop in some adult cases. Really annoying. Mine's year-round though, not just when I'm ill.
    Man it sucks doesn't it? I've had it forever but I only seem to get it about a couple of times a year so I never keep meds around. Salbutamol hardly works anyway. Was on a nebuliser for nearly 10 minutes once and felt exactly the same after. Last time I saw a doc I got some pretty sweet steroids that actually worked, so I'm gonna ask for some of those tomorrow.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Man it sucks doesn't it? I've had it forever but I only seem to get it about a couple of times a year so I never keep meds around. Salbutamol hardly works anyway. Was on a nebuliser for nearly 10 minutes once and felt exactly the same after. Last time I saw a doc I got some pretty sweet steroids that actually worked, so I'm gonna ask for some of those tomorrow.
    Luckily, the salbutamol works very well for me. I now keep one in my gym bag and just hit a few puffs before training. If I forget to take it, and start having trouble, few puffs and I'm fine in 45 seconds. Mine's not severe, just annoying.

If you go on steroids, they only really work properly if you're taking them all the time. But if you're going to go on them, make sure you're on the lowest possible effective dose - as corticosteroids can have long term side effects, but if asthma is severe, then the sides are obviously not as bad as the asthma.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    But if he goes on steroids he can no longer be called Natural Noble any more.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Luckily, the salbutamol works very well for me. I now keep one in my gym bag and just hit a few puffs before training. If I forget to take it, and start having trouble, few puffs and I'm fine in 45 seconds. Mine's not severe, just annoying.

If you go on steroids, they only really work properly if you're taking them all the time. But if you're going to go on them, make sure you're on the lowest possible effective dose - as corticosteroids can have long term side effects, but if asthma is severe, then the sides are obviously not as bad as the asthma.
    The time I took them I almost collapsed walking to the doctor's, had salbutamol on the nebuliser, still felt the same, then took a bunch of the pills the Dr had lying around and they pretty much cleared it right up IIRC. I only took them once. I got prescribed three things that day, steroids, salbutamol and something else, can't even remember what. I didn't even collect any of them and I never had problems for another few months. Based on that they seem like a nice thing to have around.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're sounds quite severe if you're collapsing. If it was oral steroids, they're a much higher dose than the inhaled steroids so can have a much stronger effect, and can rapidly help. Nebs should've been helping though, that's odd.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    My granddad has some sort of inhaler thing that makes him almost collapse when he takes it. The doctor said it's perfectly normal and that he should take it whilst sitting down.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2013
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.