Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TTT Training

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was very severe, worst I've had that I can remember. I didn't actually collapse but it was about a 20 minute walk and for basically all of it I was tempted to just sit down and phone an ambulance. The nebs helped a bit with that test where you blow into the thing to see how ****ed up you are. I went from really ****ed up to just ****ed up. I'd trained just before, deadlifts and rack pulls I think and couldn't continue after my first set of rows. Getting through the workout by using more ammonia than usual was not the smartest thing I've ever done. I don't think I really overdid it today though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    My granddad has some sort of inhaler thing that makes him almost collapse when he takes it. The doctor said it's perfectly normal and that he should take it whilst sitting down.
    I have no idea what that is but it sounds completely different. Maybe SMed knows.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    I have no idea what that is but it sounds completely different. Maybe SMed knows.
    It probably was given that he's like 87 but it was worth pointing out in the odd chance that it wasn't.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It probably was given that he's like 87 but it was worth pointing out in the odd chance that it wasn't.
    And it's for asthma? It might be a normal inhaler, when I had mine as a kid I used to have a big plastic box that it went in to dilute it. I think it gives you a bit of a head rush if you take it, so if you're very young or very old that could be it.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    And it's for asthma? It might be a normal inhaler, when I had mine as a kid I used to have a big plastic box that it went in to dilute it. I think it gives you a bit of a head rush if you take it, so if you're very young or very old that could be it.
    I think so, yes.

By the way, does ammonia actually help? With getting psyched up and stuff?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, definitely. I haven't used it for ages now though. I think it's good for that little extra for the platform, but probably not healthy to use consistently.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

This workout made me think. I reckon a lot of strength trainers have a bad idea of what to do on a bad workout. There's Jim Wendler's idea of "go in, do a top set and get out" which I've done in the past and I know Michael did since people called him a drama queen for it. It's short term thinking that kind of misses the point. Your goal for a bad workout should not be to make it into as good looking a workout as possible by taking extra rest, cutting assistance and trying to put up a relatively big number. It should be to relax a bit, forget about numbers and get some work done so that you build some muscle and strength so that your next workout on that bodypart/exercise isn't crap. I think the wider repertoire of exercises BBers have combined with their caring less about numbers is something a lot of people could learn from in this situation. I still don't think I did a great job of dealing with it, but better than I would in the past. Food for thought.

(Original post by Smack)
    Regarding bad workouts, I slightly disagree with your hypothesis. I think that being able to turn bad workouts into good ones has a massive mental boost. Long term progress is made by stringing a long series of successful workouts together and a ****ty workout can break this chain, especially mentally.

Not every workout can be entirely successful (where success equals hitting your planned weights, sets and reps on all of your target exercises) but I've found that even if you have one disappointment then you can make up for it via other PRing on other exercises. A string of PRs builds momentum that can be lost if you have one poor workout and just give up altogether that day.
    Im going to agree with you both, but I don't follow either protocol - these days anyway. There have been times in the past were I have been in the gym literally 5 minutes, and it's enough to indicate I'm going to have a rubbish session. So I leave, rest and recuperate and train a day earlier then I would normally, and am better for it. When I was more enthusiastic I used both of your theories. I think all three can work.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what Smack's granddad was taking exactly, but I doubt it was for standard asthma. There are many reasons an 87 year old man would need some breathing/respiration assistance.

As for those devices for kids, it's not to dilute it, it's that the normal little inhalers are too difficult for kids to use properly. They can't time the inhalation properly with the actuation nor aim the spray to the back of the mouth/airways. The devices just hold the aerosolised salbutamol whilst the kid breathes in and out normally, usually 10 breaths per puff.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? I could use them I just didn't want to cos they tasted like ****.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't really be hitting your tongue much with them, should hit the back of your throat. *insert hilarious fellatio joke*
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Were the pills you had the fun little red ones?

I have had those for a week about 2 years ago, and my bro had them a few months ago. I got them after i had run out of the inhalors i took with me to uni and eventually it got so bad i had to go to my gp, and on the day it really flared up, after 2 days on those little red pills my breathing was better than ever.

I have to use a cortisosteroid "turbohalor" atm, but have the salbutamol also for when its needed.

Not fun having asthma
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember what colour they were.

God I hate going to the doctors. They didn't give me the oral steroids. Apparently I have bad technique on the peak flow thing. WTF is that **** anyway, can't you just believe me when I say I can hardly breathe? I can understand checking someone's really ill if they're trying to score morphine but why would I lie about something like that? Come on man.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not about that so much as it is being able to empirically measure treatment. Before/after etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chest/Triceps

Incline bench
    20x10
    50x5
    70x5
    80x5
    85x3
    85x3
    87.5x4
    85x3
    80x5
    70x6

Pushdowns 4 sets of 10

CGBP
    60x5
    80x3
    90x3
    80x4

DB extensions
    15x10
    17.5x10
    20x5
    15x10
    17.5x8
    drop set 17.5x5 15x6 7.5x15

Superset flys with pushdowns for 4 sets each

Straight arm pulldown 5 sets of 10

Recovering from asthma, had 14 hours sleep
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Chest/Triceps

Incline bench
    87.5x4
    Pushdowns 4 sets of 10

CGBP
    90x3

Recovering from asthma, had 14 hours sleep
    Some lovely PBs there Becca... Very impressed.

Your bench is above mine again like it was when i first joined...

And so this is how his blog is being updated when he#s not here...

In b4 Becca changes the post owner and i then look like a muppet.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Some lovely PBs there Becca... Very impressed.

Your bench is above mine again like it was when i first joined...

And so this is how his blog is being updated when he#s not here...

In b4 Becca changes the post owner and i then look like a muppet.
    :lolwut:
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    :lolwut:

Well played...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back

Deadlifts
    60x5
    60x3
    100x3
    140x3
    140x3
    140x3
    140x3
    140x3
    180x8
    pretty good for not wearing a belt IMO

Barbell row
    straps
    60x8
    60x8
    80x8
    80x8

DB row giant set
    70x8 straps
    70x3
    60x3
    felt weird to wear the straps at first and then take them off. in future i will just use them on the second exercise to give my hands a break then take them off for this. the set wasn't that giant as giant sets go

Pullups

Lat pulldown 4x12, BTN pulldown 3x12

about 1h15 training time

*more like 1h05 on reflection
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shoulders, ~1h10

Push press
    20x5
    20x5
    20x5
    60x3 felt really tight
    60x3
    60x5 finally felt OK
    80x3
    wraps on
    90x3
    95x3
    100x2 missed 3
    still a little improvement over last week so good(ish) times. More volume next week.

BTN PP
    60x8 not really much leg drive

DB press sitting down
    25x6
    25x4
    20x5
    15x5
    15x7

DB tricep extension
    15x7
    15x7
    15x7

Machine giant set
    40x5
    40x3
    30x6
    30x7
    20x10
    20x12
    Not worried about weight going down on this since it was way later in the workout.

Face pulls 4x12

Curls 3 sets including a drop set

Lateral raises 6 sets of varying reps/weight

Not as much isolation shoulder work so a less cool pump, but decent weights and felt good to get some arm work in. Need to back off with the weights on push press or it will plateau worse than it already is.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Legs, didn't pay attention to the time

Squat
    20x5
    glute activation
    20x5
    glute activation
    60x5
    80x5
    100x4
    140x5
    160x3
    165x1
    170x1
    175x1
    Technique is probably terrible

Front squat
    100x5
    100x5
    100x5
    focus on going very deep

Squat
    60x20
    narrow stance, also very deep

Leg extensions about 6 sets of 10

Leg curls 3 sets of 18

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: October 3, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.