Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wow! I'm really surprised how costly petrol is

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mczakk)
    Have to confess to being a bit confused by this theory, does anyone actually make a special trip out just to get petrol? personally I just get some when my journey takes me past a filling station!
    If you put more petrol into the tank you can often just fill up when you drive past one, but if you put a tenner in and then run it till almost dry often you have to make a detour to find one, at least that's how it used to be for me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Diesel is even worse, well on its way to £1.50 a litre now, supermarkets even want £1.44 a litre in places.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol, i've been honing my sarcasm muscles for the past thirty odd years

as for keeping it to 57-59 mph, in the words of the yoof of today - meh!
    haha well working on a construction site part time while i gain my teaching qualification has allowed me to have perfectly toned sarcasm and narcism muscles.

57-59 on the motorway also allows me to get in the way of big trucks, who often hold me up down the back lanes on my way to work.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    lol you cant beat a c63
    Thank you.
    Yeah yeah yeah, lol

Tbh, there is a slight tinge of jealousy in my comments!
    ha no problem, noticed with the neg reps you're not the only jealous one!
    Tbh i've worked hard including 6 days a week and I saved up for ages and have always wanted a nice car.

(Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    Love the car, but you have no right to complain about petrol. If you can afford a C63 but hate the petrol cost you should probably invest in a run around car like a 1.9 tdi golf and treat yourself to the speed at the weekends or for the odd time you just want a smile on your face for the journey to work. You'll probably save more money in running costs as well. I know quite a few people with performance cars (one day I'd like to join them ) but they all have either extremely short journeys to work or other run around cars. Heck even a RR TDV8 is economical when compared to a Gallardo Spyder. Also, if your only getting 11mpg in that car your probably not driving with fuel economy in mind.
    I do love my journeys to work in the C63 AMG, the best thing about going to work is the drive there and back. Dont think i could bear going if the drive there and back was boring. Work is boring enough, the drive there and back is so enjoyable it makes up for it.

What car you looking at getting?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do love my journeys to work in the C63 AMG, the best thing about going to work is the drive there and back. Dont think i could bear going if the drive there and back was boring. Work is boring enough, the drive there and back is so enjoyable it makes up for it.

What car you looking at getting?[/QUOTE]

At the moment I'm a student and just have a little 1.2 8v Punto, when I graduate and get a decent paying job I'll get something more exciting, I've always had a real soft spot for the BMW M-Coupe (Z3M Coupe) and less so it's new brother the Z4M Coupe. We'll see though, hopefully I'll be able to get insured on some of my Dad's cars soon though. Really now I can't justify and don't need anything more than the Punto though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    How much of your life do you really want to spend at petrol stations?
    Petrol stations do smell amazing though, I can see the appeal.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm a student and just have a little 1.2 8v Punto, when I graduate and get a decent paying job I'll get something more exciting, I've always had a real soft spot for the BMW M-Coupe (Z3M Coupe) and less so it's new brother the Z4M Coupe. We'll see though, hopefully I'll be able to get insured on some of my Dad's cars soon though. Really now I can't justify and don't need anything more than the Punto though.
    I think i prefer the looks of the Z4M but its slower than the Z3M not by a long way though.
    Very small car though! hope you dont plan on having kids soon lol

What does your dad drive?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you put more petrol into the tank you can often just fill up when you drive past one, but if you put a tenner in and then run it till almost dry often you have to make a detour to find one, at least that's how it used to be for me.
    Fair point, depends on where you live i suppose!

(Original post by Mr. Approachable)

57-59 on the motorway also allows me to get in the way of big trucks, who often hold me up down the back lanes on my way to work.
    I'd go mad doing under 60 on the motorway, but seing as i live in north wales I've not driven on one for over a year!
    (Original post by united2000)

Tbh i've worked hard including 6 days a week and I saved up for ages and have always wanted a nice car.
    Negging you for having a nice car is a bit childish!

I just want an upgrade on my volvo V40!, E55 amg estate or the RS6 avant is my dream!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    the only benefit with rising fuel prices is you get more vouchers for schools or whatever...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

What car you looking at getting?
    whats your colour combo??? and has it got perfomance pack??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think i prefer the looks of the Z4M but its slower than the Z3M not by a long way though.
    Very small car though! hope you dont plan on having kids soon lol

What does your dad drive?
    I'm 6'4 so I'd probably have to put after market seats in order to fit, not a problem, I'd just garage the originals for re sale. I prefer the Z3M Coupe personally but they are similar prices, a bit more dangerous and not quite as good looking, the Z4M is more of a Cayman competitor really.

As for my Dad, depends on the weather!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    That's how much I get on a 1.2 Skoda Fabia...
    How? I get 250 miles to just over half a tank in my 1.6 astra.

(Original post by JC.)
    It'd probably do 300 on one tank, but letting a car's fuel tank run very low is a bad idea on any car. Inevitably there will be crap and silt from the petrolstation storage tanks in the bottom of your petrol tank - let it run too low and it can be drawn through and potentially block a carb jet or an injector.
    I know thats why I never really let the petrol light on.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arron17)
    How? I get 250 miles to just over half a tank in my 1.6 astra.
    I don't have a clue, no matter what I do I can't get over 300 miles to the tank :confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I don't have a clue, no matter what I do I can't get over 300 miles to the tank :confused:
    It's either your driving, of there's something wrong with the car then. You should be able to get 300+ easily.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Maybe for that short journey but if you're going further than a couple of miles then forget it, it costs over £40 for me to get to uni about 3 1/2 hours driving time away and that's with a railcard. Yeah maybe it's okay with one person if you're rich but if there's more than one of you then good luck with that, £80+ to go with my boyfriend, on a twotogether railcard...yeah, no.
    But still the cheapest form of public transport, like I said.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    same way you would
    I feel sorry for your car
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) Do 'big shops' at morrisons
    2) Get a 15p off a litre voucher
    3) Fill your tank (where I am morrisons is 134.9 per litre) and pay 119.9 per litre
    4) Win at life
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    What about when you factor in the cost of the car, insurance, maintenance, tax and parking costs, considering you can buy cheaper long-term tickets for most public transport services?

(You drive a lot so it probably would add up for you, but some people really fail when it comes to these kinds of cost assessments. I reckon plenty of people, generally those that only use a car intermittently, could save money by selling their car and actually using a taxi to go where they need to, let alone public transport).
    The reason I travel a lot is for work. If I got public transport I would be breaking even and earning no money whatsoever for my shift.

It works out a heck of a lot cheaper for me to drive, even included insurance and maintenance then it would on public transport.

Even if it was more expensive for me to drive then get public transport I think I would still drive everywhere, in my opinion it is more than worth it for the freedom as the life style I live would be impossible on public transport due to the lack of transport where I live.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before I passed my test I paid £20 a week to travel 250 miles to and from work by bus which is obviously a lot cheaper than going in the car.

Where using the bus starts to go wrong is their convenience and reliability. Being a Stagecoach fleet and being in a rural part of the country meant they broke down once a week or were late half the week. That combined with needing to catch a connecting bus left me with a headache at the end of every day. Oh, and what was meant to be a 4 hour part time job was actually extended by three hours because of the bus journey.

As much as I liked the bus when it worked, being able to sit there chilling out to music while staring out the window, I couldn't go back to it. Not now my job is now full-time. I'd be getting up at 6am to get the first bus and not getting back until almost 7pm.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im spending about £30 a week at the moment and doing about 150 miles. I brim my tank each Saturday evening as Im paid cash in hand at my job in the day.

And petrol isn't the worst, add everything together since I passed in July 2011 and I have spent around £4k on 7000 miles!

I won't need a car when I start my apprenticeship in September, thank god!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 14, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.