Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Roundabouts is holding me back, any advice please?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found them difficult aswell, just your time and relax, I used to get so worked up about them. Also look for a huge lorry to take cover behind :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	230px-UK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif 
Views:	90 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	136233

here ^
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice and feedback guys, and thanks for that gif above. very useful.

Well, i have had a few lessons since this thread and i feel my positioning and decisions have been a lot better then before. I have found that basically, just take your time when approaching roundabouts, approach it slowly and calmly and have a good luck to the right, if there's enough time to go then it's good to go. Just concentrate to the right, as you have the right of way to the cars of the left.

As i keep driving im sure i will even get better at it and a few months/years down the line, i'll be looking back laughing on how difficult i found big roundabouts! :P
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    When approaching a roundabout, don't look for cars on it - try and look for the viable gaps instead.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrueUnitedFan)
    Any advice when it comes to turning right on roundabouts, going straight, etc,
    Doesn't sound stupid. It's easy once you can do it - but if you haven't been taught well, you can't be blamed.

To start with, focus on having good lane discipline on the roundabout itself. Get into the correct lane early on approach and follow it right around to your exit.

On the roundabout, make sure you're making checks all around the vehicle so you know the positions of others and you give them enough space. Signal at the right times.

On the approach, watch the traffic flow patterns carefully and see what people are doing. Start to identify the gap you want, and adjust your speed to fit into it. If the traffic is heavy, you may need to stop and wait for a gap - absolutely fine. Just keep concentrating so you can take a suitable gap once you see one. Be patient, if there isn't anything, just continue to wait. Wait until there's a gap you're comfortable with.

But ideally, you want an instructor to talk you through the procedure well. That will be the most helpful thing.

HTH

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 25, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.