The Student Room Group

WJEC - PY2 - Case Studies and Research methods

So if you're reading this, you're either currently studying PY2 or you've completed it.

What is this thread for?

Discuss PY2, along with our PY1 which we just finished.

Offer advice on PY2.

Post your results here if you're in Sixth Form.

Create a community here, we can regularly chat to one another.

Study tips

So hey guys! Welcome!

PY1:
So I've got my results back from PY1, I got a B with 62 UMS, 2 marks from an A :angry: which is nice because I completely missed out a fifth of the paper. I ended up getting the highest in my school so I'm pretty chuffed about that.

PY2:
So far I've finished the Research methods and are currently on the Case Studies. I've completed Asch, Loftus & Palmer and Buss and I'm currently doing Rahe and Milgram.

So what're you guys favourite Case Studies? Any tips for answering PY2? And what did you guys doing PY3/4 find harder.. PY1 or PY2?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You've already started =O I'm going to start next week. As for the perfect essay for PY2, I haven't got a clue :b I'm just going to try and do a really good essay and give it to my teacher and hope I get really high and then just all my essays similar to that.
Have you completed all the core studies? You know when the exam is?
Got to say though, Rahe study is just so boring xd
Reply 2
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
You've already started =O I'm going to start next week. As for the perfect essay for PY2, I haven't got a clue :b I'm just going to try and do a really good essay and give it to my teacher and hope I get really high and then just all my essays similar to that.
Have you completed all the core studies? You know when the exam is?
Got to say though, Rahe study is just so boring xd

Omg Rahe is dull as dishwater! Have you seen all the results we have to learn?!?

I copied some model answers out of the WJEC Psychology book, and say an 12 mark answer plus a few things I added on got marked down to 7/12.. -.-

Obviously as I need 99/120 to get an A overall I need my answers to be almost perfect.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Bump.
Reply 4
This website was a godsend to me - http://tonyryan.net/ contains tips, tricks and example answers for all the questions you may be asked in PY2 (or most of them, at least) - they're worth about 8 marks so it's better to combine what you get in the lessons and text books with these essays but it helped me tremendously (I got an A in the exam last year).

It seems like a hell of a lot, but if you break it down into the bare minimum facts, use flashcards for revision etc, it will really help. And don't get too hung up on remembering the names for alternative evidence etc - it's not necessary, as long as you remember what they found, apparently you don't lose any marks for not remembering the names.

The hardest question is by far the alternative evidence, because it's so easy to get confused, so as soon as you study each piece of research, pick out 4 or 5 alternative evidence studies that will be easy to remember - I think I got rid of my PY2 notes, unfortunately - and learn them, stick them on your bedroom wall, read over them, record them as an mp3 - whatever you can do to help you remember. The rest of the stuff is fairly easy. The exam itself is not hard because it will always be the same questions (the only thing that differs is whether you get two evaluate methodology or two alternative evidence questions), it's the remembering which is the hardest part.

A good memory should see you fine (I didn't do that much revision, to be honest, and got through on a good memory), but I can't stress enough the importance that you DO revise - if nothing else, it'll set you in good stead for PY3 and PY4, where a lot of revision is required.
Reply 5
Original post by madders94
This website was a godsend to me - http://tonyryan.net/ contains tips, tricks and example answers for all the questions you may be asked in PY2 (or most of them, at least) - they're worth about 8 marks so it's better to combine what you get in the lessons and text books with these essays but it helped me tremendously (I got an A in the exam last year).

It seems like a hell of a lot, but if you break it down into the bare minimum facts, use flashcards for revision etc, it will really help. And don't get too hung up on remembering the names for alternative evidence etc - it's not necessary, as long as you remember what they found, apparently you don't lose any marks for not remembering the names.

The hardest question is by far the alternative evidence, because it's so easy to get confused, so as soon as you study each piece of research, pick out 4 or 5 alternative evidence studies that will be easy to remember - I think I got rid of my PY2 notes, unfortunately - and learn them, stick them on your bedroom wall, read over them, record them as an mp3 - whatever you can do to help you remember. The rest of the stuff is fairly easy. The exam itself is not hard because it will always be the same questions (the only thing that differs is whether you get two evaluate methodology or two alternative evidence questions), it's the remembering which is the hardest part.

A good memory should see you fine (I didn't do that much revision, to be honest, and got through on a good memory), but I can't stress enough the importance that you DO revise - if nothing else, it'll set you in good stead for PY3 and PY4, where a lot of revision is required.

Thanks! Apparently the model answers on that site aren't 12 marks :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Miracle Day
Thanks! Apparently the model answers on that site aren't 12 marks :frown:

Nah like I said, they're 8 marks, but combined with the knowledge you get from textbooks (there is one textbook my teacher says you should avoid like the plague, can't remember the name) and handouts in the lesson should bump it up to an 11 or 12 mark answer :smile:

My favourite studies in terms of ease of understanding were Milgram and Asch (mainly because I studied them at GCSE so I had an easy couple of weeks whilst everyone else learned it from scratch), and in terms of interest were Rahe (I'm particularly interested in the psychosomatic field) and Rosenhan, the study on how easy it is to get a diagnosis of mental illness.

The ones I found hardest were Gibson and Walk, because there was loads of alternative evidence to learn, and Buss because there was just so much data for the findings!
Reply 7
Nah like I said, they're 8 marks, but combined with the knowledge you get from textbooks (there is one textbook my teacher says you should avoid like the plague, can't remember the name) and handouts in the lesson should bump it up to an 11 or 12 mark answer :smile:

My favourite studies in terms of ease of understanding were Milgram and Asch (mainly because I studied them at GCSE so I had an easy couple of weeks whilst everyone else learned it from scratch), and in terms of interest were Rahe (I'm particularly interested in the psychosomatic field) and Rosenhan, the study on how easy it is to get a diagnosis of mental illness.

The ones I found hardest were Gibson and Walk, because there was loads of alternative evidence to learn, and Buss because there was just so much data for the findings!

Yeah there's a lot for Buss >:frown:

Any tips on how to structure the answers?

I love Milgram also <3
Reply 8
Yeah there's a lot for Buss >:frown:

Any tips on how to structure the answers?

I love Milgram also <3

I shall post how I structured my questions either later tonight or tomorrow (boyfriend's coming round in a minute and I don't think he'd appreciate me snubbing him haha :tongue: ) :smile:
Reply 9
Okay, I'll split them up into spoilers otherwise it might be a rather long post :redface:

Aims and Context

Spoiler

Procedures

Spoiler

Findings and Conclusions

Spoiler

Evaluate the Methodology...

Spoiler

The Dreaded Alternative Evidence :eek4: :eek4: :eek4:

Spoiler

The most important thing about this exam is (other than revision) time management, and the way in which you decide what order you'll answer in is crucial. I did mine -

1. Alternative evidence
2. Evaluate methodology
3. Evaluate methodology.
4. Procedures
5. Aims and Context
6. Findings and conclusions.

Basically, getting the worst one out of the way first, then doing the three which are the longest and where I thought I had the most chance of getting good marks because they're my strongest points, and then the last two are the shortest questions - and with the findings and conclusions, there's so many statistics to remember that I thought, if I end up making up a load of statistics and missing out on the points here, I might also have wasted time I could have spent working on the other questions.

Hope this has helped!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks for this thread!
I'm finding PY2 harder than PY1 and I think my problem is remembering all the details.
Reply 11
Okay, I'll split them up into spoilers otherwise it might be a rather long post :redface:

Aims and Context

Spoiler

Procedures

Spoiler

Findings and Conclusions

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The most important thing about this exam is (other than revision) time management, and the way in which you decide what order you'll answer in is crucial. I did mine -

1. Alternative evidence
2. Evaluate methodology
3. Evaluate methodology.
4. Procedures
5. Aims and Context

Basically, getting the worst one out of the way first, then doing the three which are the longest and where I thought I had the most chance of getting good marks because they're my strongest points, and then the last two are the shortest questions - and with the findings and conclusions, there's so many statistics to remember that I thought, if I end up making up a load of statistics and missing out on the points here, I might also have wasted time I could have spent working on the other questions.

Hope this has helped!

Thanks! That is so helpful!
Reply 12
Did you revise the research methods part?
Revision tips?
This exam is stressful haha -_-

Aims and Context

Spoiler

Procedures

Spoiler

Findings and Conclusions

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. Alternative evidence
2. Evaluate methodology
3. Evaluate methodology.
4. Procedures
5. Aims and Context

Hope this has helped!
Did you revise the research methods part?
Revision tips?
This exam is stressful haha -_-

I revised the research methods part a bit, but not much at all to be honest - I basically just made sure I knew the definitions of the different things (reliability, validity, confounding variables etc) and the issues that might arise (and trust me, this knowledge will help you SO MUCH for PY3, so if you work hard at it now it'll be worth it). There's not much else you can do.

Revision tips.... lots of past papers and lots of practice essays really. It is stressful but the relief when you've done it is immense!
Reply 14
I revised the research methods part a bit, but not much at all to be honest - I basically just made sure I knew the definitions of the different things (reliability, validity, confounding variables etc) and the issues that might arise (and trust me, this knowledge will help you SO MUCH for PY3, so if you work hard at it now it'll be worth it). There's not much else you can do.

Revision tips.... lots of past papers and lots of practice essays really. It is stressful but the relief when you've done it is immense!

How do actually learn the info/stats etc?

and how many practices for each possible questions ?
How do actually learn the info/stats etc?

and how many practices for each possible questions ?

Get a little notebook and keep a glossary, an A-Z of all the important terms and what the definition is (because you can pretty much guarantee you'll be asked for the definition of SOMETHING in the exam), and then an example of an issue of it, and just keep looking through it, making sure you know it :smile:

Also, anything you're struggling to remember, make posters and put them up everywhere, in your bedroom, all over your house, your car if you have one - stick up as many as you possibly can and just look at them. Record facts to mp3 and fall asleep listening to them. All of these are tried and tested revision methods :smile:

As for how many practices... if your teacher is kind, keep bombarding him/her with them until you have an 11/12 mark essay in every combination (there may be a few you can put less effort into because they've come up before, but I can't remember which ones those are), and then just learn them, as much as you can - condense them into bullet points, stick them on flashcards and posters and paper your bedroom in them! :smile:
Reply 16
Only done 6 Case Studies so far.. annoying me ffs
Reply 17
Get a little notebook and keep a glossary, an A-Z of all the important terms and what the definition is (because you can pretty much guarantee you'll be asked for the definition of SOMETHING in the exam), and then an example of an issue of it, and just keep looking through it, making sure you know it :smile:

Also, anything you're struggling to remember, make posters and put them up everywhere, in your bedroom, all over your house, your car if you have one - stick up as many as you possibly can and just look at them. Record facts to mp3 and fall asleep listening to them. All of these are tried and tested revision methods :smile:

As for how many practices... if your teacher is kind, keep bombarding him/her with them until you have an 11/12 mark essay in every combination (there may be a few you can put less effort into because they've come up before, but I can't remember which ones those are), and then just learn them, as much as you can - condense them into bullet points, stick them on flashcards and posters and paper your bedroom in them! :smile:

Can you help me? I don't get the aims and context of Rosenham sane in an insane place :s-smilie:
Can you help me? I don't get the aims and context of Rosenham sane in an insane place :s-smilie:

I can't at the moment sorry, got a bad kidney infection and don't know when the next time I'll be on the computer will be, but when I'm back I'll see if I can help :smile:
Just to add to my last post I'm currently in hospital, might be out tonight but I'm going to be recovering for a while, sorry x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending