Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Film Studies at QMUL Vs. Media and Communication at Goldsmiths

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've received unconditional offers for both of the above courses, without having to attend an interview - Which has left me pretty much in the dark about each course, as I didn't get the opportunity to ask any questions to course tutors/leaders!
    Does anyone have any information what so ever about either of these courses?
    Thanks a lot!:confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently studying Film and English at QMUL, in the first year. As I'm doing a joint honours degree, I can tell you only about the core modules in Film Studies. In the first year, you have to take three compulsory modules, of whom the biggest (30 credits) is Introduction to Film. The other two are Auteurism (15 credits, Nouvelle Vague etc) in the first semester, and Stars (also 15 credits, about the structured polysemy of a star's persona) in the second semester. The ITF-course is quite fun, you watch a series of older films, as it is quite a historical approach to cinema starting in the early days (1890s). The course aims at the development of the ability to analyse a film with the use of the different key concepts in film, e.g. sound, narrative, mise-en-scéne, editing, genre etc. and you have to write 4 quite complex essays about those key concepts, each about one film from the module. The other two courses are much more aimed at encouraging you to assess films more freely. You'll have lively discussions in the seminar groups about Godard, Truffaut, Kieslowski and Jarmin as well as about stars like Rita Hayworth, Jane Fonda or Belmondo.

If you're doing a full-time Film degree, you'll also have a Screenwriting course, Film Noir and Practical Filmmaking in your first year as far as I'm concerned. In the 2nd and 3rd year you can choose freely from a long list of modules and do lots of practical filmmaking if you want. The only compulsory course in year 2 is 'What is Cinema?', as far as I know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    But, if you want to do film, i'd go for the Film course at QMUL, as Media and Communications is surely something completely different, correct me if I'm wrong! If you want to do the film course though, you'll have to be really into films as this is a very specific course, and you gotta love your film!
    If you just 'want to do something in media', then you should probably go to Goldsmiths, their reputation for those courses are higher than QM's anyway, and I'm sure they'd be more practical than at QMUL. After all, Queen Mary is a public research university, and most of the course is theoretical.

X

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.