The Student Room Group

US Sutton Trust Summer School

Scroll to see replies

when they say 'by the beginning of May' do you reckon they mean before May, so like tomorrow or day after, or beginning of May, like a week or so away...
I don't know, but I would hazard a guess at later as they're liable to have a substantial number of applications for only 64 places across the country.
I'm really worried... I don't think I'll have done enough to get a place if you know what I mean...

Then again, it might be easier to narrow down people...
Reply 23
I emailed them a couple of days ago, and they said they were planning to let us know on May 1st. I'm hoping that as it's the first year it's being run there won't be quite so many applicants...
Reply 24
Original post by ib95
I emailed them a couple of days ago, and they said they were planning to let us know on May 1st. I'm hoping that as it's the first year it's being run there won't be quite so many applicants...

Nice, only two days to wait! My year will be made if I get in but I'm not too confident as there are probably hundreds of people that have applied.

Did they say if they'd email or send a letter?
I am terrified... I hate to think that I won't get in y'know :/
Reply 26
Original post by Part A

Did they say if they'd email or send a letter?

No, the email just said "We will be letting students know on the 1st May."

Not long to wait at least, even if it's a disappointing result...
I'm going to be checking my emails every 5 minutes tomorrow :P
Reply 28
Were you guys the only ones from your schools to apply? I wonder how much competition we have...
I think I was, were you?
Reply 30
I just wondering how well informed students across the comprehensive/state school are about this summer school? I know that my old school definitely never heard of it :/ and I will never be if I stayed there for sure. And therefore I believe not too many school had well informed students about this opportunity. We've got a pretty 'active' tutor who will tell us everything that's how I get to know it.
And does anyone know whether they only allow 1 student from the same school? Because 3 of us applied here.
Reply 31
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was the only one from my college. People hadn't been told about it at my old school, but they were pretty useless for stuff like that anyway...

asas78978, I can't see why they would arbitrarily limit it to one applicant per school, so long as all 3 were good enough/"disadvantaged" enough to otherwise merit a place.
Reply 32
Original post by ib95
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was the only one from my college. People hadn't been told about it at my old school, but they were pretty useless for stuff like that anyway...

asas78978, I can't see why they would arbitrarily limit it to one applicant per school, so long as all 3 were good enough/"disadvantaged" enough to otherwise merit a place.

We got ours mentioned in a sixth form assembly so I guess quite a few might have applied that I don't know of - however, the criteria are pretty strict? A lot of people at my school are well-off and those who aren't, aren't amazingly clever - but you could have got 8 A's and applied I suppose which isn't too bad.
I go to a grammar school so I hope that it doesn't go against me...
Original post by hannahdavies
I go to a grammar school so I hope that it doesn't go against me...

It does; they prioritise state-maintained schools (i.e. complete comprehensives) first and foremost.
Original post by MirandaPanda
It does; they prioritise state-maintained schools (i.e. complete comprehensives) first and foremost.

I thought grammar school students couldn't apply at all!
Original post by MirandaPanda

Thanks, I haven't really got much of a chance then :frown:

Original post by Goodii2Cutii

Grammar schools are state-run but slightly different to comprehensives.
Reply 37

I think it depends on whether it is an independent school or private school, in that case you are not allow to apply. But co-state grammar schools are allowed to apply. That is why there is posters in my sixth form centre. But I am not sure if that will put me at a disadvantage...
In terms of parental income, do they consider students with less income first or treat students whose parental is below 40k equally? I am really worried about that :/
I thought it was anyone below 40k was considered equally but I'm not sure now because of the income bracket question on the application :/

If its a state-comprehensive, I think you can apply, but you are at a huge huge disadvantage to students who are from pure/proper state-maintained comprehensives (for obvious reasons).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending