Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students opinion of Apprentices studying degrees?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much as the title says, I am wondering how students who pay tuition fees themselves think of apprentices/people with scholarships who get it paid for for them.

I ask because I have just accepted a place on a Higher Apprenticeship with Rolls Royce in Derby, and start September this year. I am looking to get a room in shared student house as it is much cheaper and I would like to have some sort of social life!

Basically I am a little worried that people might be a bit resentful and I might be a bit exluded, especially when tuition fees go up to £9k next year!

Thoughts?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wjenks)
    Pretty much as the title says, I am wondering how students who pay tuition fees themselves think of apprentices/people with scholarships who get it paid for for them.

I ask because I have just accepted a place on a Higher Apprenticeship with Rolls Royce in Derby, and start September this year. I am looking to get a room in shared student house as it is much cheaper and I would like to have some sort of social life!

Basically I am a little worried that people might be a bit resentful and I might be a bit exluded, especially when tuition fees go up to £9k next year!

Thoughts?
    Why should they be bothered? :dontknow: It's not like you're really going for free because you'll have a contract with the company etc. I wouldn't let it bother you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, could you tell me the grades you were looking at to get an offer at rolls royce? I was looking at applying next year, saw on the website it said 3 C's, just wondering what grades you'll actually need due to competition etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wjenks)

Thoughts?
    Higher apprenticeships are the best way forward, dont take and stick from students that have never worked in their life and will be leaving university with no experience ( before anyone jumps on me, im not saying ALL students dont work)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for rehashing, however I'm in my last year of a BEng in mech with Royces now, completed the apprenticeship scheme.

Bad point: It's Sheffield Hallam or Derby Uni, and you need to stay with Royces for 2 years after (If that's a bad thing)

Good points: No debt, Guaranteed job, experience on the job, salary circa £26k min.

Trust me on this: Experience is worth more than a degree too (Well, in this company anyway).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and another thing I've noticed at uni:

Students get a bit jealous when we're talking about our own houses, and cars/bikes, what they can't afford yet ;-)
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds awesome! I wish my Apprenticeship lead to something like that. Mine however, only leads to a basic Apprenticeship/one year industry experience with NVQ's and Technical Certificates. I'll be finished late January 2013 and I'll be going to University next year as just a normal student (September 2013). The full-time experience and vocational qualifications/training will be useful in the coming years, though. It's always nice to have training on your CV.

Apprenticeships are awesome. Really useful.

To answer the question though. I have no problems with any students.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 25, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.