Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just found out I'm pregnant...

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yothi5)
    The teenage girl and her partner cannot afford to buy their baby nappies or milk. That's a denying it love, care and a safe and healthy environment to grow up.

Well, as a ball of cells, I wouldn't know, would I?
    No you wouldn't and if they did you wouldn't exist.

Your essentially saying someone should decide to deny a baby a life because it may not have the best life. Thats quite a bias view.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I feel that many of the posts on here are very harsh. Nobody knows the OP and nobody can say what type of a mother she will be. Hats off to you OP for being mature about this and trying to find out information that is important to find out now, rather than in a few months time. To me that demonstrates above all else that you are trying to work out the future for you and your baby, and trying to do what is best for them.

You may find some useful info here: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ring_pregnancy

or try contacting your local council to see what help you may be able to get. You should be able to put your name on a list for council housing.

And to those harping on about tax-payers money, I am assuming that you've never used NHS services, or attended a state school, or gone to university etc etc?
    • 142 followers

ReputationRep:
    The teenage girl and her partner cannot afford to buy their baby nappies or milk. That's a denying it love, care and a safe and healthy environment to grow up.

Well as long as it's done early on abortion is fine by me
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you seriously considered the impact of having a baby when you can't afford it? Would you be open to adoption?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DdotT)
    No you wouldn't and if they did you wouldn't exist.

Your essentially saying someone should decide to deny a baby a life because it may not have the best life. Thats quite a bias view.
    It's not a biasED view. It is the correct view. I suggest you know how to use your/you're and look up what 'bias' is meant.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmaleuk)
    I feel that many of the posts on here are very harsh. Nobody knows the OP and nobody can say what type of a mother she will be. Hats off to you OP for being mature about this and trying to find out information that is important to find out now, rather than in a few months time. To me that demonstrates above all else that you are trying to work out the future for you and your baby, and trying to do what is best for them.

You may find some useful info here: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ring_pregnancy

or try contacting your local council to see what help you may be able to get. You should be able to put your name on a list for council housing.

And to those harping on about tax-payers money, I am assuming that you've never used NHS services, or attended a state school, or gone to university etc etc?
    The OP is asking for what benefits she can claim, when she could have quite easily prevented her situation. Contraception and emergency contraception is free.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's not a biasED view. It is the correct view. I suggest you know how to use your/you're and look up what 'bias' is meant.
    heh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello and welcome to 'What's wrong with Britain' with your host, Anonymous. enjoy the show!
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    The OP is asking for what benefits she can claim, when she could have quite easily prevented her situation. Contraception and emergency contraception is free.
    Agreed. Our local Sainsbury's even offers free emergency contraception, for Christ's sake. What more do you want? Condom deliveries to your door when you feel up for it?... What's wrong with the pill? The injection? The implant? Abstinance?!

(Original post by Leighcakes)
    Agreed. Our local Sainsbury's even offers free emergency contraception, for Christ's sake. What more do you want? Condom deliveries to your door when you feel up for it?... What's wrong with the pill? The injection? The implant? Abstinance?!
    Haha so just another assumption that I wasn't using birth control, as other posts have said none are 100%!! I know 5/6/7 people who have had the implant and still got pregnant with it! I have not once stated that I never used a condom or whatever.

Thanks for serious replies. I am doing the best I can...I can guarentee most 18 year old mothers are claiming the benefits that they are entitled to so why not me? You have no right to judge me when you don't know the slightest. I had plans to go to university this September... accidents do happen!!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know 5/6/7 people who have had the implant and still got pregnant with it!
    Well that's hardly surprising :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...rol-fails.html

Hey
    My friend was a teen mum. She had a boyfriend who was working full time, and she had college, so they lived separately in different towns. She was registered as a single mum (though her boyfriend was supporting her financially and emotionally), and with all respect, she used to get s*** loads of money!!! I thought it was really unfair. She always had really expensive clothes, got absolutely EVERYTHING from the government. And me, who actually had a job and didn't have a baby couldn't afford all the things that she had.

So, don't worry... You'll be fine. Good luck.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Haha so just another assumption that I wasn't using birth control, as other posts have said none are 100%!! I know 5/6/7 people who have had the implant and still got pregnant with it! I have not once stated that I never used a condom or whatever.
    Some people use both because, as accidents do happen, it's good to have a back up and know that they can't look after a child atm. Shocking I know.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    When your midwife visits you to make your booking appointment which will be before your 12 week scan, she will give you a leaflet (if not, ask for one) which will show what benefits you may be entitled to, as well as a section on budgeting for a baby. If you live in England, you should also be entitled to free doctor's prescriptions andfree dental treatment. Depending on what you and your partner/family earn, you may be able to claim free milk and vitamins, as well as free fruit and veg. Ask your midwife.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Breast milk is free, and depending on financial circumstances, (most, if not all, teenage mums qualify for this according to my trust) mothers can claim free milk, and get vouchers for nappies. Or use reusable nappies - that would just mean having to wash.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody2Shoes-x)
    Breast milk is free, and depending on financial circumstances, (most, if not all, teenage mums qualify for this according to my trust) mothers can claim free milk, and get vouchers for nappies. Or use reusable nappies - that would just mean having to wash.
    Well then, this OP won't need benefits! But from her first post, it doesn't like she is prepared to use her breasts or wash soiled nappies though.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    So why did you choose to stick with just that, then? Surely if you know so many people that've become pregnant while using it that's kind of a sign to, you know, switch? Or even just use a condom too...?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, talk about being harsh on the OP. Good on you for asking the questions (Especially in an environment like this full of adolescent hormones trying to take the moral ****ing high ground all of the time). Somebody posted a link with details of what you're entitled to I believe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On most forums there would be a lot of posters banned by now. OP, maybe try asking in a pregnancy forum? Also helpful to pick up tips besides money-saving ones. No need to give up on university, you could go next year instead. Unis tend to be very understanding and loads of them have heavily subsidised creches for staff and students. Really worth looking into.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not my choice and people are being quite harsh in here but i do agree with them. I would strongly suggest that you get an abortion and go to university. You might be against it, but this is unplanned so i would never rule it out.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.