The Student Room Group

i desperately need help!! ...

hi all,,,
uh...in my school, i'm generally regarded as 'intelligent', in that i answer questions well when i am asked, but....whenever it comes to tests, i just do not do well....i get 50s 0r 60s, which (if you ask me) is really disheartening. i study now like i never have....i work hard, but the result does not change.....what do you people think might be my challenge? my exam starts in May and i feel i have wasted my time.....study tips, etc. would be highly appreciated too.....:frown:

thank you in anticipation...
Reply 1
maybe you could find a different way to revise? try doing past papers to improve your exam technique
not really sure what else to say because sometimes i find myself in the same position but i hope this helps
Reply 2
hmmm...past papers... yea. i hardly practise questions. i spend more time studying...trying to understand the theory et al...thank you, though
Reply 3
its good to study but you also need to know how to apply the knowledge which is where most people slip up on
Reply 4
In my experience, exams are not a test of intelligence, they are a test of your ability to retain information for a short amount of time. However this isn't always strictly true, problem solving requires intelligence. Maybe i'm just bitter because I have completely failed exams in the past because I thought I just didn't need to study because I understood the concepts in class. It comes down to the fact that exams are marked of key words and phrases, learn these words and phrases, burn them into your skull! Do this and I'm sure your intelligence will make up the rest :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Jugman
In my experience, exams are not a test of intelligence, they are a test of your ability to retain information for a short amount of time. However this isn't always strictly true, problem solving requires intelligence. Maybe i'm just bitter because I have completely failed exams in the past because I thought I just didn't need to study because I understood the concepts in class. It comes down to the fact that exams are marked of key words and phrases, learn these words and phrases, burn them into your skull! Do this and I'm sure your intelligence will make up the rest :smile:

hmmm....i see.... 'burn them into your skull'. thanks so much!
Experiment with different revision techniques.
I always found repetition to be the best way for me to revise but others use colourful stuff and cue cards and stuff. Just try a few different ones and stick with the one that works best.

Good luck.
Reply 7
Original post by SuperheroSam
Experiment with different revision techniques.
I always found repetition to be the best way for me to revise but others use colourful stuff and cue cards and stuff. Just try a few different ones and stick with the one that works best.

Good luck.

thank ya....i just started the card stuff. revision works for me too. i've always used colors (very helpful):colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending