Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First Car Choices

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Automatic licences make me sad.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsmush)
    I have been advised not to go for something too expensive or new because it is likely with it being a first car that I'm bound to get the odd scratch on it here and there. However I'm also thinking the more I can spend on my first car the more I will get come the time I sell it after which I will be buying my own car. Also the money I save from getting a cheaper car wont go towards anything else anyway because I already have my own house and it is specifically for a car.
    I would advise something cheap, you are probably going to put a dent in it at some point. I suppose its not your money though, and like you say you will have more to spend on your own car then lol. Also: You have a house! How old are you? How on earth did you get that lol, no particular need to save your money then.

I'm not after a classic car. Also personally I do not like Morris Minors. probably costs more to maintain an older car and I think insurance is more too as they have less safety features and are not that eco friendly.
    Dont like morris minors! How can you call yourself british! :P (lol, i am assuming you do)

Classic cars require a lot of DIY maintinence, but they arn't particularly more expensive than modern cars, in fact they can be a lot cheaper provided you don't get one that needs the chassis welding. A new headgasket for my car costs a whole £10, and I can fit it on my drive. I was talking to someone with a Golf and they spent something like £400 getting theirs changed, not something you can do at home.

Insurance is up to 10x cheaper. I spend < £300 on mine, quotes for any modern car were nearer £3000. It depends how young you are though. Safety features are lacking, this is the one thing I don't like about classics.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just been looking at Civics again eeven though I cannot have anything bigger than 1.4 and realised they all seem to be semi-auto.

Eh?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3685716.htm

There are loads on pistonheads, 1.6 for less than £3k!

In an auto, 1.6 will be similar in performance to a 1.4 anyway and I doubt the insurance would be much higher.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    I would advise something cheap, you are probably going to put a dent in it at some point. I suppose its not your money though, and like you say you will have more to spend on your own car then lol. Also: You have a house! How old are you? How on earth did you get that lol, no particular need to save your money then.

Dont like morris minors! How can you call yourself british! :P (lol, i am assuming you do)

Classic cars require a lot of DIY maintinence, but they arn't particularly more expensive than modern cars, in fact they can be a lot cheaper provided you don't get one that needs the chassis welding. A new headgasket for my car costs a whole £10, and I can fit it on my drive. I was talking to someone with a Golf and they spent something like £400 getting theirs changed, not something you can do at home.

Insurance is up to 10x cheaper. I spend < £300 on mine, quotes for any modern car were nearer £3000. It depends how young you are though. Safety features are lacking, this is the one thing I don't like about classics.
    I'm 22 (today) my parents investment. I don't want my car to be a hobby for which I have to learn DIY just something that looks quite sleek to get me from A to B. Do you have normal insurance with that or classic car insurance? I've been told today Ford is also cheaper to repair. The more I thought about it the more I want a Fiesta even though I've said in the past that I would never get a Ford but they rank highly in reviews so cannot argue with that.

(Original post by gbduo)
    Eh?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3685716.htm

There are loads on pistonheads, 1.6 for less than £3k!

In an auto, 1.6 will be similar in performance to a 1.4 anyway and I doubt the insurance would be much higher.
    Okay you're looking at the older model I was looking at the new shape which if I was to get Civic would have to be that purely because it looks great and my friend has a Type R of it which is pretty neat. Also why do you use pistonheads instead of something more well known like Auto Trader?

Been looking at Vauxhalls too but some reviews say the steering doesn't have much feel and is no longer one of the top superminis now that there's the A1, Polo, Fiesta
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pistonheads is a great resource when looking for cars in good shape, most of them are owned by enthusiasts so they are well taken care of instead of beat to hell cars thrown up on autotrader. If you are looking at going from at to b why not get a diesel? Better gas mileage and much cheaper on your wallet. I'm quite sure you can get a nice mk5 golf diesel for 7500£
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if I was going to go for a modern a-b car I would get a diesel.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Passed an automatic driving test.. that means you can never drive a manual I see no point in driving if you can only drive an automatic.
    You should pass the manual driving test..and then you can go to automatic cars, if you still desire.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    passed automatic test?.. so you still can't drive PROPERLY then?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiboz)
    Passed an automatic driving test.. that means you can never drive a manual I see no point in driving if you can only drive an automatic.
    You should pass the manual driving test..and then you can go to automatic cars, if you still desire.
    Marry me
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

passed my automatic driving test in December and looking for my first car. The cars I'm mainly considering are either a 2008 Mk6 Ford Fiesta or a 2008 Mk4 Volkswagen Polo. I would have preferred a 2009 Mk5 Polo but just cannot afford the prices those fetch or a Honda Civic but the 1.4 versions are rare and pricey however I could get a 1.8 but since my Dad is buying the car he won't pay for a car with an engine bigger than 1.4 .

Which would you recommend, 2008 Mk6 Ford Fiesta or a 2008 Mk4 Volkswagen Polo? Or perhaps you consider something to be better than either of these?
    Mini One 1.4 2008?
    http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...18rs?logcode=p
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I did pass my test in an Astra too and didn't feel that fun to drive.
    Seriously, no automatic is going to be fun to drive, unless it's a big power Mercedes/BMW/etc.

As for a car, Renault Clio mk2, and 1.2 or 1.4 automatic for you? Yes everyone has one, and yes it probably is 'chavy', but it's probably the easiest car in the world to drive, and *might* even be fun to drive... I've got a manual one and as long as you don't overload it it's a blast (well, as much of a blast as 75 bhp can be...). You're looking at about £3k/£4k max for a decent one. Also, I'd recommend the Mk2 over the Mk3 as having been in both, the Mk2 interior is nearly as good, better seating position, and has about the same space inside for a smaller car.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    Pistonheads is a great resource when looking for cars in good shape, most of them are owned by enthusiasts so they are well taken care of instead of beat to hell cars thrown up on autotrader. If you are looking at going from at to b why not get a diesel? Better gas mileage and much cheaper on your wallet. I'm quite sure you can get a nice mk5 golf diesel for 7500£
    In The UK reputable car supermarkerts post their cars on Auto Trader not just private sellers so I will stick to Auto Trader Pistonheads might be more popular in the States I don't know. I'd consider a Golf (not diesel, they aren't very good) but as already stated cannot get a car with an engine larger than 1.4.

(Original post by Aiboz)
    That's a silly response, no point in driving? How about so I can get to places? I need a car to get me from one point to another so it doesn't matter what the transmission is. Also, automatics make safer drivers I feel.

Mini would be okay if it wasn't for the speedometer in a stupid position and have heard that previous mini quality was sub-par.

(Original post by jeddows)
    Seriously, no automatic is going to be fun to drive, unless it's a big power Mercedes/BMW/etc.

As for a car, Renault Clio mk2, and 1.2 or 1.4 automatic for you? Yes everyone has one, and yes it probably is 'chavy', but it's probably the easiest car in the world to drive, and *might* even be fun to drive... I've got a manual one and as long as you don't overload it it's a blast (well, as much of a blast as 75 bhp can be...). You're looking at about £3k/£4k max for a decent one. Also, I'd recommend the Mk2 over the Mk3 as having been in both, the Mk2 interior is nearly as good, better seating position, and has about the same space inside for a smaller car.
    It doesn't have to be big an powerful for it to be fun I've already said from reviews I've read that they say the Fiesta is very fun to drive in terms of cornering and such. French cars are generally unreliable so I think I will steer clear. Also, not all manufacturers have got good automatic transmission I think the ones that have mastered it somewhat are Volkswagen and Ford (for superminis).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have to be big an powerful for it to be fun I've already said from reviews I've read that they say the Fiesta is very fun to drive in terms of cornering and such. French cars are generally unreliable so I think I will steer clear. Also, not all manufacturers have got good automatic transmission I think the ones that have mastered it somewhat are Volkswagen and Ford (for superminis).
    I haven't had a single problem with my Clio. My dad's Fiesta has had the trim on both door pillars fall off when driving, problems with the handbrake sensor, and the door seals are already starting to go, so go figure.
    And yeah, the Fiesta has always been a great car to drive, however I can't imagine how a small auto is going to be fun in the slightest. If you've got a decent size diesel, or a large petrol with plenty of 'lazy' torque, then an auto makes sense, but a tiny engine with a pretty small power band isn't going to be as enjoyable. Half the fun of a small hatch is being able to chuck it about and work the gear box so you're always in the power band, in other words dropping it down to second *before* a tight bend so you can power out of it. Can't see an auto being anywhere near as fun.

Anyway, this might be useful for you:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/www.autocar...+-Auto/241145/
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    In The UK reputable car supermarkerts post their cars on Auto Trader not just private sellers so I will stick to Auto Trader Pistonheads might be more popular in the States I don't know. I'd consider a Golf (not diesel, they aren't very good) but as already stated cannot get a car with an engine larger than 1.4.

Piston heads isnt even available in the states, me being from the states and knowing how reputable it is should tell you something. Cars on autotrader are notoriously overpriced.

That's a silly response, no point in driving? How about so I can get to places? I need a car to get me from one point to another so it doesn't matter what the transmission is. Also, automatics make safer drivers I feel.
    Automatics do NOT make safer drivers, at all. The only thing they do is do the job of the driver for them. A manual you have much more control of the car. Try driving an automatic in the rain or on the snow, then drive a manual (oh wait you can't) you will notice a complete difference. There is no point whatsoever taking an automatic test. You are removing yourself from having the chance to drive any kind of car and being stuck with only one choice.

I am sorry if this is coming across as offensive but I live in a country where automatics are taking over out of laziness and not out of real use.

As for golf diesels being useless, they have an engine that will last longer, get better gas mileage and have a fuel that is cheaper than petrol. Being an american where diesel is more expensive I wish i had the chance to get at a diesel golf like you in the uk do. The mileage they get is insane and they are great from going from a-b. Seeing as how you aren't an enthusiast that seems like a perfect thing for you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeddows)
    I haven't had a single problem with my Clio. My dad's Fiesta has had the trim on both door pillars fall off when driving, problems with the handbrake sensor, and the door seals are already starting to go, so go figure.
    And yeah, the Fiesta has always been a great car to drive, however I can't imagine how a small auto is going to be fun in the slightest. If you've got a decent size diesel, or a large petrol with plenty of 'lazy' torque, then an auto makes sense, but a tiny engine with a pretty small power band isn't going to be as enjoyable. Half the fun of a small hatch is being able to chuck it about and work the gear box so you're always in the power band, in other words dropping it down to second *before* a tight bend so you can power out of it. Can't see an auto being anywhere near as fun.
    Anyway, this might be useful for you:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/www.autocar...+-Auto/241145/
    What model/age is your Clio and your dad's Fiesta? Can't get a 1.4 Diesel anyway but I'm assuming you're saying a smaller diesel is better than a petrol at the same size? How come?
    Hadn't come across that review so a 7 speed Polo would be better? Don't know how to find those on Auto Trade as they don't say 7 speed in the detail list unless all Polos are 7 speed?

(Original post by Texan88)
    Piston heads isnt even available in the states, me being from the states and knowing how reputable it is should tell you something. Cars on autotrader are notoriously overpriced.
    Automatics do NOT make safer drivers, at all. The only thing they do is do the job of the driver for them. A manual you have much more control of the car. Try driving an automatic in the rain or on the snow, then drive a manual (oh wait you can't) you will notice a complete difference. There is no point whatsoever taking an automatic test. You are removing yourself from having the chance to drive any kind of car and being stuck with only one choice.
    I am sorry if this is coming across as offensive but I live in a country where automatics are taking over out of laziness and not out of real use.
    As for golf diesels being useless, they have an engine that will last longer, get better gas mileage and have a fuel that is cheaper than petrol. Being an american where diesel is more expensive I wish i had the chance to get at a diesel golf like you in the uk do. The mileage they get is insane and they are great from going from a-b. Seeing as how you aren't an enthusiast that seems like a perfect thing for you.
    I just thought you may have Googled 'buy used cars uk' and took a result from there or something. How do you know about Piston Heads then?
    As regards automatic drivers being safer it is possible since they are focused on nothing but the road and have their hands on the steering wheel at all times. Also (I'm not saying this is for all cars as I know it is not the case) it can be more fuel efficient as not all manual drivers make use of their gears properly I would have thought.
    Aren't diesel cars heavier and noisier also creating smog? I'm not planning on doing long distance either I'm probably looking at 4000-5000 miles a year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother with a Honda civic if:

1) you can't have bigger than a 1.4 it won't move
    2) the automatic gearboxes in them are comepletely and utterly useless.

VW are great reliable cars in my experience.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm a car enthusiast that is looking at studying abroad in the UK, one of the people I know over there uses it quite a bit, and from what I have seen a lot of the cars on it are very well maintained.

The weight in diesels is negligible, they also create less smog than petrol cars. They are in the long run more green than petrol cars. Also they have more torque and since you are getting an automatic car your car will end up being a little bit faster because of it. Most small engine automatic cars suffer from not having enough power. Diesel cars overcome that with a good amount of torque. I'm not saying this from a blasting around town like a moron sense but in a sense that it will be easier to overtake and get onto the motorways. As for noise it usually depends on the car, most golfs actually don't make much noise. My cause has a 2011 golf tdi and it doesnt make a sound. She gets 45ish mpg in it and thats because she is a horrible driver.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the cars I see say they are automatic but in the spec it says semi-auto. I read that semi-auto was basically manual without a clutch but other sources say that it is automatic with the option to drive manually. Which is correct?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the cars I see say they are automatic but in the spec it says semi-auto. I read that semi-auto was basically manual without a clutch but other sources say that it is automatic with the option to drive manually. Which is correct?
    The latter, nearly all semi-auto transmissions give you an option to run auto. Basically if it doesnt have a manual gear stick and looks like an autostick you can run it auto.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    does this 7k budget have to cover the insurance costs as well? If so, good luck with that, i think the money would be better spent on a megarider for the year YES!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 18, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.