Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B412 - Railways Bill 2012 (Third Reading)

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    It may not be perfectly fair for some of you but it is an improvement on the current system.

I am not moving on the RPI4%.
    Then this bill deserves to fail.

14% increase at a time when wages are going down is farcial. Your season ticket costs £3000 at the moment, under your "plan" you have to suddenly find an extra £420 when the prices go up. Where from eh? From those glorious businesses that are cutting your wages?

You've a very strange view of fairness.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Then this bill deserves to fail.

14% increase at a time when wages are going down is farcial. Your season ticket costs £3000 at the moment, under your "plan" you have to suddenly find an extra £420 when the prices go up. Where from eh? From those glorious businesses that are cutting your wages?

You've a very strange view of fairness.
    Keyboard is playing up - that should have said RPI+4% and i have edited it now, also capped at 10% and only once per year.

When inflation is above target, price rises are lower than the current system.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    When inflation is above target, price rises are lower than the current system.
    That's of very little comfort. 99p is less that £1 but in reality there's marginal difference. You're still pushing up the costs of tickets on trains far above what people can reasonably afford.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm concerned that this bill would reduce infrastructure spending while not lowering ticket costs.

However, the gist of the bill is good - it's trying to put a bandage over a terminally festering wound, and although it probably won't cure the rot, it might just make a bad system slightly better. That said, in the interests of the long-term the rail transport system needs complete, rather than incremental, reform (and I don't necessarily mean total renationalisation).
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    I'm concerned that this bill would reduce infrastructure spending while not lowering ticket costs.

However, the gist of the bill is good - it's trying to put a bandage over a terminally festering wound, and although it probably won't cure the rot, it might just make a bad system slightly better. That said, in the interests of the long-term the rail transport system needs complete, rather than incremental, reform (and I don't necessarily mean total renationalisation).
    This, I agree on. The main problem with the Rail Industry is the way in which it was Privatised under the Railways Act 1993, which is the system we have today and the Department for Transport micromanaging the Railways by awarding Franchises under the Railways Act 2005 and stock procurement.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I am now an MP for the Tories, I agree now lets vote on it :sexface:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Conservatives just don't seem to get it. They seem to be under the illusion that by limiting the rate of fare increases to an above-inflation figure, they're helping passengers and making the system more "fair". They're not, because fares will still be rising faster than wages.
    The only way to make the system fair is to allow fares to increase naturally and in line with inflation.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still think we should renationalise them.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Division!!
Updated: March 17, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.