The Student Room Group

Police told to be wary of released cop killer,full risk assessment done.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2112904/Pandering-WPC-killer-Knifeman-hatred-police-safe-freed--area-arent-officers-beat.html

This gutter rat killed a female police officer back in 1997 .Although now according to psychiatrists he presents no danger to the public providing he takes his medication ,though they won't be living next door to him:wink:.But what I find shocking is the decision to move him to an area with a less visible police presence ,as the police still make him nervous. On day release local cops were told to be wary of approaching him. How happy would you be as a cop if ,you walk into work and handed a photo and details of this chap and told to be careful?. The police should be the only gang on the streets in my opinion and should run the streets. They shouldn't have some yogurt weaving castrated liberal psychiatrist dictating their jobs to them.If this person still has problems he should not be on the streets end of. What is so hard about that?

This man is hardly cured then. In my view once a mental case takes a life,in this case a life of a police officer that should be it for them having any kind of freedom. That doesn't mean they can't be looked after humanely in an institution and I wouldn't hang them like I would a normal person who murdered a police officer but frankly it wouldn't be the first time a nut job has been let out by these psychiatrists and the nutter has either hurt or killed a member of the public.

Are these psychiatrists being held responsible in law if he decides he doesn't like policewomen again? Of course not. And whoever his doctor is needs locking up beside him. Must live in an area with less police? What an earth? He is obviously not fit for release if he still harbours these 'issues' about police officers. And just remember what this animal did to a young female copper doing her job with her whole life ahead of her.
i wouldn't believe too much of what the mail says... it's very sensationalist.

however,

if he can't handle seeing police officers, then he is not safe. police officers are a normal part of our society and if he can't deal with a normal part of our society without going off the rails, then he probably isn't ready.

however these psychiatrists know a lot more about the situation and his problems than you and i or the daily mail. if this man snaps, it's their jobs on the line. they have to make a decision in their professional opinion, on whether he is safe to be released. that is their job. they are not the judicial system, their job isn't to decide whether he should be kept or released because he needs to do more time for his crime.. he's served his sentence, their job is to decide whether he is stable enough to be released.. they won't have just said "lol lets send him out and see what happens"... there'll be a lot of planning, deliberation and discussion about it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bellissima
i wouldn't believe too much of what the mail says... it's very sensationalist.

however,

if he can't handle seeing police officers, then he is not safe. police officers are a normal part of our society and if he can't deal with a normal part of our society without going off the rails, then he probably isn't ready.

however these psychiatrists know a lot more about the situation and his problems than you and i or the daily mail. if this man snaps, it's their jobs on the line. they have to make a decision in their professional opinion, on whether he is safe to be released. that is their job. they are not the judicial system, their job isn't to decide whether he should be kept or released because he needs to do more time for his crime.. he's served his sentence, their job is to decide whether he is stable enough to be released.. they won't have just said "lol lets send him out and see what happens"... there'll be a lot of planning, deliberation and discussion about it.

If psychiatrists had never got it wrong I would agree,that they know far more than me.Apart from the fact psychiatry as a medical model for treating and diagnosing mental illness is disputed and increasingly so there have been several cases where killers have been either placed back into the community or into low secure accomodation and they have killed again.

We are asking them to predict without any physical medical test with cold hard evidence and if they get the prediction wrong it is disaster. And you are right it isn't their job to decide length of sentence. As a point of principle I think if a mentally ill person kills it should be curtains for them in terms of being in the local community. Public protection should be the number one priority. I also don't think it is fair on psychiatrists to have blood on their hands if they get it wrong.
Original post by Ministerdonut
If psychiatrists had never got it wrong I would agree,that they know far more than me.Apart from the fact psychiatry as a medical model for treating and diagnosing mental illness is disputed and increasingly so there have been several cases where killers have been either placed back into the community or into low secure accomodation and they have killed again.

We are asking them to predict without any physical medical test with cold hard evidence and if they get the prediction wrong it is disaster. And you are right it isn't their job to decide length of sentence. As a point of principle I think if a mentally ill person kills it should be curtains for them in terms of being in the local community. Public protection should be the number one priority. I also don't think it is fair on psychiatrists to have blood on their hands if they get it wrong.

i agree that people with mental conditions that make them commit murder/other atrocities shouldn't USUALLY be released into normal society because they are a danger to themselves and those around them. however as it stands they ARE given the opportunity to rejoin society... if a psychiatrist believes they are safe to return, then that's what they have to say. it's not up to the psychiatrist to keep them in just because they think what they did was wrong.
Reply 4
I'm confused, he killed someone in 1997 but he's out already? WTF?
Reply 5
Original post by Sephiroth
I'm confused, he killed someone in 1997 but he's out already? WTF?

Guess he used mental illness as a defence since it says he's now on pills. Paranoid schizophrenia maybe?

Still...somehow I can't see a cop killer being allowed out in 15 years if it was across the pond.
I don't want to be around murdering ****ers. It would be easier and cheaper to bury this **** alive.
He is being moved from prison into a secure institution.

It makes sense for him to be put into an area where there is a lower police presence - it is merely a measure to ensure his mental well being and, I suppose, the safety of others.

Since 2008, this guy has been granted leave from prison for a few hours each week. For these 4 years, there have been no reported incidents.

The Mail headline is ridiculous. This is not 'pandering' - it is taking sensible precautions.

How happy would you be as a cop if ,you walk into work and handed a photo and details of this chap and told to be careful?

Like it was a normal day at work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending