The Student Room Group

Im gonna get a nose piercing, needle or gun????

I'm gonna get a nose piercing but some people are saying to get it with a needle as it is safer however some people are saying to me to get it with a gun as it makes no difference. I'm unsure as getting it done with a needle is more expensive and its im gonna have to go someplace special to get it done causeI cant just go down to my local piercing shop where they use guns!!

can anyone help me out, pleasseee, gun or needle???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Needle, always a needle!
Either way, makes little difference IMO. Both are putting a small hole in your nose and both are quite unpleasant. Just choose a reasonably priced, reputable shop and you'll be fine.
Good luck.

Confused about the negs... offering honest opinion. I've had experience with both and find them both unpleasant (as in it hurts). Telling her to find a reputable shop? Big no-no apparently...
(edited 12 years ago)
Do it yourself all you need is a knitting needle and some paper towels
Reply 4
Needle is always the way forward!
Reply 5
NEEDLE.

Guns cannot be sterilised properly! They are not made to pierce noses with, any good piercing place would tell you this. A needle is about £5 more expensive, but it is definitely the safer/better option.
Reply 6
Nose piercing? WHY?!
Needle all the way!
Reply 8
Definitely a needle. You're not even supposed to pierce earlobes with guns, the force is too much.
Reply 9
Needle! Only ever get pierced with needles.
An incredibly sharp, hollow needle always causes less trauma to the skin than a relatively blunt lump of metal being rammed into the ear at high speed.
Needle all the way!
Reply 11
Needle, never a gun! Guns can't be sterilised properly and you could end up with infections!
I think a needle would be better. I had mine done with a gun, and it didn't get infected and it didn't hurt, but needles are more accurate and are suited better to the actual piercing of the skin.
Needle, more hygenic and supposed to cause less trauma.
Reply 14
Original post by shygirl1994
I'm gonna get a nose piercing but some people are saying to get it with a needle as it is safer however some people are saying to me to get it with a gun as it makes no difference. I'm unsure as getting it done with a needle is more expensive and its im gonna have to go someplace special to get it done causeI cant just go down to my local piercing shop where they use guns!!

can anyone help me out, pleasseee, gun or needle???

People always say things like 'needle, because the force of a gun is too much, it's not as safe...' etcetcetc. Someone also once told me that a gun can shatter your cartilage.
Personally I have never seen, experienced, or heard of anything like this happening, despite having had about 10 piercings done with guns [a couple were re-piercings, one was my nose].
A gun is cheaper, quicker and less painful so if it was me that would be my choice. However it's up to you and the more important thing is that you find a reputable place, for example if they don't make you sign anything don't let them pierce anything.
Original post by abc:)
People always say things like 'needle, because the force of a gun is too much, it's not as safe...' etcetcetc. Someone also once told me that a gun can shatter your cartilage.
Personally I have never seen, experienced, or heard of anything like this happening, despite having had about 10 piercings done with guns [a couple were re-piercings, one was my nose].
A gun is cheaper, quicker and less painful so if it was me that would be my choice. However it's up to you and the more important thing is that you find a reputable place, for example if they don't make you sign anything don't let them pierce anything.

Cheaper does not make up for ending up with a gammy nose, nor is it any less painful to have it done with a gun. At the end of the day guns -can't- be sterilised properly and there's a reason very reputable piercers don't have guns lying around. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it won't in the future/won't for OP. Infections are rare but you're boosting the chances of getting one by allowing them to use a gun on you.
Reply 16
Original post by Ohlavelle
Cheaper does not make up for ending up with a gammy nose, nor is it any less painful to have it done with a gun. At the end of the day guns -can't- be sterilised properly and there's a reason very reputable piercers don't have guns lying around. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it won't in the future/won't for OP. Infections are rare but you're boosting the chances of getting one by allowing them to use a gun on you.

I don't have a gammy nose [or any gammy piercings] and having also had piercings with needles I'd say that for me guns were less painful as they were quicker.
I'm pretty sure guns are in fact sterilised as they come in sealed packaging and are thrown away after use
Reply 17
Needle, and be warned your eyes will run like crazy straight after. Another helpful hint is try not to get the studs with that sort-of 'U' in the middle as they're crazy hard to put back in and is the reason why my nose scabbed up and had swolen all inside :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by haz220807
Needle, always a needle!

This was my exact thought when I saw the title :biggrin:

Apart from the reasons above, needles are more precise and are generally preferred by good piercers :smile:
Reply 19
do it with a gun, it hurts less and is faster

Latest

Trending

Trending