The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Soton firmers 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Southampton is my insurance, but I'm almost certain I'm not in my firm.. So biomedical science for me at Southampton:smile: conditional abb:smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by RobertWhite
Of course :awesome: What and where was your undergrad degree? :smile:

Original post by SJS101
I wouldn't necessarily call it a party :wink: But the more the better :smile:. So did you do biomed or medicine as an undergrad?

Heh, there are people gathering here, so I should call it an informal gathering then.

I did my undergrad at Sussex University and did Molecular Medicine (which is basically their snazzy title for Biomed); graduated last month :^_^:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
History and politics

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Same, are you conditional or unconditonal? What halls have you applied for?
Original post by 05emunt
Same, are you conditional or unconditonal? What halls have you applied for?

Sweet :biggrin:

I am unconditional and have received my offer of gately halls which I'm pretty happy about :biggrin: what about you?
Reply 184
Original post by thomascwfung
Yes! Mandarin becomes more important than before a lot. But HKers are still intend to speak English well than Mandarin :biggrin:
Its true and shame that some of the HKers discriminate HKers. As the mainlanders carry a huge amount of cash to HK (mostly at least HK$100k = GBP8k) and shopping in a madness mode, e.g. buy plenty items in LV and pay by cash. Also, becoz of their cash crisis, the price index of HK increase rapidly in all range of stuff, such as food, drinks, flat, etc. It may benefit most of the business and thats why they like mainlanders very much. Btw, it still bring waves of shock to general HKers in both monetary and ethical problems. Haha....this is a big argument in HK and explain with an essay.

I can speak fluent English & Canton, normal Mandarin.

Haha I get the meaning :biggrin: which part of Scotland do u think is better than England?

Ahh I see I didn't know that, I thought mandarin was more important haha! Yeah some even carry suitcases full of money! Yeah RMB is so expensive now as is HKD!! Exchange rates with GBP is not as good as it was before... Oh I see :smile:

Can you read/write mandarin? Or that is probs a stupid question as mandarin and canto are similar?

When Scottish people are born in Scotland we go to Uni for free unlike England but we pay for accomodation and living costs. We also get free healthcare (NHS) which I'm not sure England gets? They might do? Also I like Scotland education system (4 years at Uni and Standard Grades and Highers) :smile: Why? What don't you like about Scotland apart from accent?
English lit, and applied for Small Halls and Glen Eyre. When I went to the Open Day, they didn't show us the accommodation, so I've based my application on pictures :/
Original post by magenta1
Ahh I see I didn't know that, I thought mandarin was more important haha! Yeah some even carry suitcases full of money! Yeah RMB is so expensive now as is HKD!! Exchange rates with GBP is not as good as it was before... Oh I see :smile:

Can you read/write mandarin? Or that is probs a stupid question as mandarin and canto are similar?

When Scottish people are born in Scotland we go to Uni for free unlike England but we pay for accomodation and living costs. We also get free healthcare (NHS) which I'm not sure England gets? They might do? Also I like Scotland education system (4 years at Uni and Standard Grades and Highers) :smile: Why? What don't you like about Scotland apart from accent?

There isn't any different between read and write Mandarin and Cantonese, both use the same Chinese character. But the main difference of reading and writing between Chinese and HKer, we use traditional chinese character and they use simplified chinese character. Traditional chinese character is orthodoxy!!!

Jealous Scottish's welfare :frown: HKer need to pay for each item, no free of charge
Sorry, I don't really know many ablut England.

I also want to enjoy 4 yrs university life, it must be a memory...but its too late for me Haha

Apart from accent, there's nth else I don't like Scotland :biggrin: I quite love snowing...never see in HK. If I study in Scotland, only one thing must be concerned about is the 4 yrs education system; as my parent has to afford one year more.
Reply 187
There isn't any different between read and write Mandarin and Cantonese, both use the same Chinese character. But the main difference of reading and writing between Chinese and HKer, we use traditional chinese character and they use simplified chinese character. Traditional chinese character is orthodoxy!!!

Jealous Scottish's welfare :frown: HKer need to pay for each item, no free of charge
Sorry, I don't really know many ablut England.

I also want to enjoy 4 yrs university life, it must be a memory...but its too late for me Haha

Apart from accent, there's nth else I don't like Scotland :biggrin: I quite love snowing...never see in HK. If I study in Scotland, only one thing must be concerned about is the 4 yrs education system; as my parent has to afford one year more.

Ahh see i thought HK used simplified and they used traditional! Makes sense when i went onto google translate to write a message on my mum's bday card and she was like how do you know how to write in this form (the wrong form) :smile:

Yeah I know but HK has better medical care and doctors etc that's why when we flew over my brother went private to see an opthamologist as something wrong with his eye and cost a bomb though! As my parents say HK has all the "yun choi" haha so where are you going again? And what you studying? haha just annoying accent then? i quite like sun something we don't really see in Scotland but there are rare opportunities :biggrin: Ahh but don't you get scholarships?? How much you paying a year right now?
Reply 188
Hi guys, congrats to everyone that got their grades to get on their courses at Southampton!

I have a question, has anyone received an information through the post (or email) directly from the university (not UCAS) since we got our grades and our place was confirmed on UCAS. Because I was looking on the Southampton website and there was mention of an 'introductory pack' with information in it. Just wondering if anyone's received in yet?

Keep me posted if anyone does, otherwise I'll give the uni a ring to find out about it :smile: Thank you!!
Reply 189
Original post by Rebecca-K
Hi guys, congrats to everyone that got their grades to get on their courses at Southampton!

I have a question, has anyone received an information through the post (or email) directly from the university (not UCAS) since we got our grades and our place was confirmed on UCAS. Because I was looking on the Southampton website and there was mention of an 'introductory pack' with information in it. Just wondering if anyone's received in yet?

Keep me posted if anyone does, otherwise I'll give the uni a ring to find out about it :smile: Thank you!!

I'm sure it will come give it a few days before you ring :smile:
Reply 191
Anyone else is South Hill? I'm in block A :smile:
Original post by magenta1
Ahh see i thought HK used simplified and they used traditional! Makes sense when i went onto google translate to write a message on my mum's bday card and she was like how do you know how to write in this form (the wrong form) :smile:

Yeah I know but HK has better medical care and doctors etc that's why when we flew over my brother went private to see an opthamologist as something wrong with his eye and cost a bomb though! As my parents say HK has all the "yun choi" haha so where are you going again? And what you studying? haha just annoying accent then? i quite like sun something we don't really see in Scotland but there are rare opportunities :biggrin: Ahh but don't you get scholarships?? How much you paying a year right now?

If u know the history of Chinese character, then u may know simplified was created by China republic no more than a century, but traditional has been used for more than thousand years. Haha...did u check the message's grammar is correct or not :biggrin:? the sentence structure between Chinese and English are totally different

HK has all the "yun choi", I quite agree with this, as HKers' average age are one of the most eldest in the world.....not easy to die :frown:

Hopefully, I am going to study Accounting and Finace in Uni of Southampton.

During the summer, I could always go to the beach for sunshine :biggrin: Unfortunately, UK is always covered by cloud or fog, dont like this kind of weather

I dont really know what and how can i apply scholarship, maybe i will ask the staff during the start of semester. The annual tuition is about GBP11,600...quite expensive :frown:
Reply 193
If u know the history of Chinese character, then u may know simplified was created by China republic no more than a century, but traditional has been used for more than thousand years. Haha...did u check the message's grammar is correct or not :biggrin:? the sentence structure between Chinese and English are totally different

HK has all the "yun choi", I quite agree with this, as HKers' average age are one of the most eldest in the world.....not easy to die :frown:

Hopefully, I am going to study Accounting and Finace in Uni of Southampton.

During the summer, I could always go to the beach for sunshine :biggrin: Unfortunately, UK is always covered by cloud or fog, dont like this kind of weather

I dont really know what and how can i apply scholarship, maybe i will ask the staff during the start of semester. The annual tuition is about GBP11,600...quite expensive :frown:

Nope lol didn't think about doing that haha we don't get taught as in depth knowledge in any of our subjects here than in HK and erm yeah think so? Yeah the quality of doctors for example is way better in HK that's why we flew to HK to see what was wrong with my brother's eye as private clinics in HK are so much better than UK ones and ohh didn't know that! Must be all the chinese soups keeping us living to an old age the eh :P Aw really?? Same I'm doing accounting and finance too! Tbh think lots of chinese people opt for accounting and finance or law mostly? Yeah big difference between HK weather and UK weather but if you live in HK too long the humidity and stickiness of sweat is not too good :/ Yeah there's lots of financial support especially for internationals and woah quite a lot eh? Did you try getting into HKU? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending