Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A question about Allah

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'd like to direct this question towards Muslims and believers of the Islamic faith.

Allah is said to be the Most Merciful and Kind, right? But He's also said to be All-knowing. This means that he would know, before creating a human being, where they would end up, either in heaven or hell.

Take for example a person (ranging from non-believers of one god, all the way to murderers and sadly enough, homosexuals) who gets condemned to hell for all eternity. Fire and flames.... the image of hell is just horrible. One's skin would be burnt, entirely, and then that person would be created again, and again, and this process will be repeated for all eternity. It's horrible just to even imagine this....

So here's a question that I've just pondered about for so long. Why would an all merciful God create someone just to put them through that? I'd like to present my opinion and say that isn't being merciful or kind at all. And it's not like when you compare it to a judge today who's sentencing a criminal - the judge has no idea where that criminal will end up, and the final verdict is decided in the current moment. Why would an all merciful God create someone in the first place just to put them through that?

I hope this doesn't turn into an angry argument/debate like most threads about Islam on TSR. I come from an insanely-religious, the type where you could taste religion in your teeth, that kind of background, and used to be a devout and truly dedicated Muslim. Now, I am just.... taking a few steps back and asking myself so many questions that I wasn't allowed to ask before, and challenging a lot of the things I've been indocrinated with my whole life, right up to when I was 18. I've started to see that world without religion makes perfect rational sense and there would be less evil in a world without religion, too.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    These questions will NEVER be answered on studentroom or the internet to be honest.

Enter anything like this into google, and you're only left with more questions.

Quit while your ahead, I'll say.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's almost as if there's inherent ambiguity in religion
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a loaded question to me?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Sounds like a loaded question to me?
    Can I ask what you mean by that, please?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janet9)
    Hi all,

I'd like to direct this question towards Muslims and believers of the Islamic faith.

Allah is said to be the Most Merciful and Kind, right? But He's also said to be All-knowing. This means that he would know, before creating a human being, where they would end up, either in heaven or hell.

Take for example a person (ranging from non-believers of one god, all the way to murderers and sadly enough, homosexuals) who gets condemned to hell for all eternity. Fire and flames.... the image of hell is just horrible. One's skin would be burnt, entirely, and then that person would be created again, and again, and this process will be repeated for all eternity. It's horrible just to even imagine this....

So here's a question that I've just pondered about for so long. Why would an all merciful God create someone just to put them through that? I'd like to present my opinion and say that isn't being merciful or kind at all. And it's not like when you compare it to a judge today who's sentencing a criminal - the judge has no idea where that criminal will end up, and the final verdict is decided in the current moment. Why would an all merciful God create someone in the first place just to put them through that?

I hope this doesn't turn into an angry argument/debate like most threads about Islam on TSR. I come from an insanely-religious, the type where you could taste religion in your teeth, that kind of background, and used to be a devout and truly dedicated Muslim. Now, I am just.... taking a few steps back and asking myself so many questions that I wasn't allowed to ask before, and challenging a lot of the things I've been indocrinated with my whole life, right up to when I was 18. I've started to see that world without religion makes perfect rational sense and there would be less evil in a world without religion, too.

Hey

Well, all humans have the free will to make the right choice in their lives. Allah created humans, knowing that they had the free will to decide whether they would worship Allah or lead their lives sinfully. Allah is the judge. Ofcourse he knows where we'll end up and what choice we'll make at every turn, but that doesn't affect our free will in anyway. No human is created to suffer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why did Allah knowingly allow the Talmud and Bible to emerge and then wait so long to send the Koran?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's true he would know whether someone would end up in heaven or hell, but only because that person chose to do those things that causes the outcome. We've all been given life so that we're tested, and the people who do well will end up in heaven, and the people who don't will end up in hell. Why cause so much pain? It's not Allah causing the pain, it's the person who brought it upon themselves by the wrong choices they made. And on the contrary, many will end up in heaven because they listened to Allah and made the right choices in life, so Allah rewards the good and punishes the bad.

Just to clarify, obviously the world isn't split between good people and bad people which is why our good deeds and bad deeds are weighed against one another.

"We all have both light and dark in us, but it's the choices we make that make us who we really are." - Sirius Black
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thank you for being civil

2 points I'd like to make here:

1. yin & yan - without good, there is no bad and vice versa. If there was no such thing as darkness, there would also be no such thing as brightness.

2. Aswell as the belief in a merciful God, Islam also believes in a fair God. If He was to create us and then punish us immediately, we would question why we are being punished for sins we haven't committed yet. Maybe not everything is predestined. Maybe we do have free will - even if this is to an extent. And so punishment will be due to our own actions.

Hope I've helped
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    God will judge a person at the end of their life. A person makes his/her own destiny/fate, not God. God does not have control on someone's life. Whatever you do in life, is from your own making. If you want to be a serial killer then its your choice, it is not pre-planned by God. If you've been a good person then you'll enter heaven but if you have committed vile sins and made other people's life hell, then you'll be punished.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If I end up up going to hell, I can't turn around and say ''you didn't even give me a chance to prove you wrong'', because Allah will probably just say "Well you know, I actually did give you a chance to prove me wrong and you blew it".

It's a good question OP, and one that I've thought about myself as a Muslim.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmudz_009)
    Well, all humans have the free will to make the right choice in their lives. Allah created humans, knowing that they had the free will to decide whether they would worship Allah or lead their lives sinfully. Allah is the judge. Ofcourse he knows where we'll end up and what choice we'll make at every turn, but that doesn't affect our free will in anyway. No human is created to suffer
    Please explain how that makes sense?

He's created us with free will, yet he knows (so with certainty) where we'll end up. Also keep in mind that you think he created us so, he know's where we will be before we are born. That's either pre destination or he doesn't know everything?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmudz_009)
    Well, all humans have the free will to make the right choice in their lives. Allah created humans, knowing that they had the free will to decide whether they would worship Allah or lead their lives sinfully. Allah is the judge. Of course he knows where we'll end up and what choice we'll make at every turn, but that doesn't affect our free will in anyway.
    Thank you for replying, nmudz.

I think that we 'feel', on this planet and in daily life that our free will isn't affected, but God, as you believe, is supposed to know everything. And knowing everything includes knowing where a person ends up. And then just sitting back, to let it all happen. The question is why God would create a person in the first place - would you do that, if you were in that position? There's no mercy in that, I'll say.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    it is a test of life we decide how we choose the path. but god knows our future, but for as long as we are here we control out destiny
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I seriously do hope this does not turn into a debate :/

Well my opinion is that God (Allah) created us and gave us free will, to do as we please. This life that he gave to us is just a test, we may face difficulties, but they make us stronger and Allah wants us to turn to him for help. If he had created everyone without flaws then can you imagine, there would be peace right? But sooner or later people would stop believing in God, coz they would have no worries no problems. And people would become attached to materialistic things.

Another thing, if you were making a product for example a knife. You would know that people could use the knife to maybe commit evil acts, but then some would use it for useful things. Knowing this will not stop you from making the knife. Similarly, although God is knowing, this does not stop him from creating humans.

I tried my best - it probably doesn't answer your question. xD Try asking on this website http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...ge=fatwa&tab=3
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Why do you want to direct this question at "Muslims" only because I think people following different religion also believe that their God is merciful but those who commit sins will still be punished by him.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Don't mind me saying that OP but seriously whats the whole point of posting such questions on student room which is full of atheist, ex-muslims, islamophobic etc. There are aot of different islamic websites like IslamAQ is really good one and you can ask them. They would give you a convincing answer for defo.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)

He's created us with free will, yet he knows (so with certainty) where we'll end up. Also keep in mind that you think he created us so, he know's where we will be before we are born. That's either pre destination or he doesn't know everything?
    I used to think as you do but I read and thought about it a bit and it's an incorrect way to look at it.

Lets say person A and person B both walk by across a wallet with £200 in it that was dropped by someone. Person A decides to hand it into the police station where they manage to find the owner of the wallet using the ID, whereas Person B keeps the money and wallet for himself and dumps the rest of the stuff in the bin. God knows what both these people would do, but not because he made it so, it is because they CHOSE to do so. Person B COULD have handed it into the police station, that option was completely there for him, but he did not...why? Because he is a greedy person lets say. Person A also COULD have just taken the money but he overcame the greed to do what most people agree would be the right thing. God has not interfered in anyway, both Person A and Person B had two options (for simplicity) and they both CHOSE to do something, knowing full well they could do the other thing whenever they wanted. In fact, Person A could have initially decided to keep the wallet but changed his mind a hundred times before concluding that he would hand it in instead. God didn't make Person A "good" and Person B "bad", it's their own choices that made them who they are and ultimately what they will be judged as.

If you continue to think as you do right now, then you must also think that anything anyone ever chose to do was not their will but God's will, and that would be completely pointless and untrue.

Just because God knows the outcome doesn't mean he's influencing it, not at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is what Ive always been told, when a baby is born its born a Muslim and so this world and the people around him/her is what makes them and gives them free will. The free will to do bad or good.
    So it is not aimed at non-muslims.. its at all of mankind and that includes animals and plants. the difference between humans and animals is that Allah (SW) gave us a brain and so therefore free will.

God only created this world for one sole purpose, to bring down on this world his beloved Prophet (SAW) and we muslims are now this Prophets followers and so God is testing us as to how long and far his message can reach.

However, I mean this in the nicest way, whatever happens we should NOT question God how or why? Never and so I cannot give the answer to your question becuase I believe it shouldnt have been asked or should be asked differently.

I would just like to point out that God is all merciful and if there isnt anything merciful given in this life then I know that GOd will give it in the next. Peace be with you and I hope you can return to your religion and at the same time gain knowledge about its beautful morals and messages!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)

For example, if you think about something that over the course of its life moves from A to B. We know where it wud end up, because that wud be its nature, however we wudnt control it's every action whether good or bad between where it starts and where it's life ends. For example, animals are born in their habitsts become adults, mate, raise their young and then they die in the same habitat. Just bcoz we know about the course of its life, doesn't mean we influence or control every aspect and action and thought that goes through its head. If a scientist were to clone an animal or grow one in vitro, and release it into the wild to be with its own kind, would you argue the animal's every action is controlled by the scientist?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 15, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.