The Student Room Group

Anyone else have 0 faith in the exam system?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hardleyouth
On that note about examiners having no prior knowledge - A few years ago, my tutor for politics, who also teaches philosophy, decided she would do some exam paper marking for some extra money, she did it for philosophy I think, but they were asking her if she could also do it for psychology? A subject she has NO knowledge on and NO qualification in? They knew this, but still wanted her to mark Psychology papers?! :s-smilie: :confused:

Exactly , most of the examiners do it for money. Basically the way they mark it is the 'converter technique' Teachers get sets of answers from lets say a 100 papers, but it's all for only one of the questions , so the examiner never sees the full answer paper , just the specific part of it that he/she is designated to mark.

Only the ones that put a bit of effort into it do extra research, which is a not really fair , since we spend months doing exactly that. :mad:
Original post by CLS94

For GCSE/A Level, I would suggest many changes. I would scrap the exam board system and replace it with state-sector agencies setting both the syllabus and exams for each subject. These agencies would have representatives from areas candidates taking the course in question are likely to go into, such as universities and employers, depending on exactly what the course was, so that the exam was set by people with a genuine knowledge of the subject at hand who also know what skills they want successful candidates to possess, and also removing the ridiculous competition to make money through putting out easier exams, or charging silly amounts for re-marks.

I would try to reduce the need for remarks by appointing only university-level professors as examiners - we can quite easily get them to do this as the vast majority are still public sector. Each examiner should also have around 10% of their batch also marked by a second examiner, and if there is a significant difference in a large number of papers then their whole batch should be referred to a senior examiner to mark. I would then provide photocopies and remarks of papers at-cost, with a full refund if there is a difference of more than around 2% in the new mark compared to the old one.

In terms of coursework, I would make schools/colleges/whatevers send off everyone's, from which a random proportion are moderated. This means that they don't know who's will be checked, so they have to make sure all pieces have been marked accurately and honestly rather than just those pieces they are told to send off. A consistent failure to mark it appropriately should be noted in Ofsted inspections (I haven;'t talked about those lot yet but rest assured I am plenty critical of them too :P )

That's a nice plan , however it's not likely to happen due to the large profits that they make. All in all this would be a great system and I couldn't agree more about university teachers or at least the teachers of that specific subject marking our work. Sadly this would be a massive change in the system that probably won't happen unless people are consistent with taking action
Reply 202
Original post by CLS94
I would try to reduce the need for remarks by appointing only university-level professors as examiners - we can quite easily get them to do this as the vast majority are still public sector. Each examiner should also have around 10% of their batch also marked by a second examiner, and if there is a significant difference in a large number of papers then their whole batch should be referred to a senior examiner to mark. I would then provide photocopies and remarks of papers at-cost, with a full refund if there is a difference of more than around 2% in the new mark compared to the old one.

How much time exactly do you think university professors have to sit down and mark hundreds of GCSE/A-level scripts, when they have their own university and their own students to worry about?

The problem isn't the actual people marking the scripts at the moment; it's the amount of marking they have to do. Everybody is liable to mistakes, and when teachers sit down and mark hundreds and hundreds of exam scripts in a row, they're going to of course miss something. Especially with the pay they get for doing it.
Original post by Anastasija95
Exactly , most of the examiners do it for money. Basically the way they mark it is the 'converter technique' Teachers get sets of answers from lets say a 100 papers, but it's all for only one of the questions , so the examiner never sees the full answer paper , just the specific part of it that he/she is designated to mark.

Only the ones that put a bit of effort into it do extra research, which is a not really fair , since we spend months doing exactly that. :mad:

Yep I know, it's a bitch aint it :frown: The amount of nasty e-mails I've sent to AQA is ridiculous :') They always tell me they can't talk to students directly and that I should go through my exams office!?!?!?! :angry:

On a side note, I'd like you to know my tutor refused to mark those Psychology paper on the basis she thought it was wrong for her to mark a subject she knows nothing of! :smile:
Original post by Xotol
How much time exactly do you think university professors have to sit down and mark hundreds of GCSE/A-level scripts, when they have their own university and their own students to worry about?

The problem isn't the actual people marking the scripts at the moment; it's the amount of marking they have to do. Everybody is liable to mistakes, and when teachers sit down and mark hundreds and hundreds of exam scripts in a row, they're going to of course miss something. Especially with the pay they get for doing it.

Yeah, and we suffer :frown:
Original post by Xotol

Well, having every Tom, Dick and Harry looking to make a quick buck marking subjective exams hardly helps the situation - it doesn't necessarily have to be university professors, but it needs to be someone suitably qualified in the subject, at least teachers of it. I have no idea how much they're paid, but if it is abysmal and paying more could attract more competent markers or less stressed markers it would be a sound investment indeed.
Reply 206
Original post by Anastasija95
That's a nice plan , however it's not likely to happen due to the large profits that they make.

All the exam boards except Edexcel are non-profit making organisations. They make a loss on the majority of exam and recoup it on the mass entry subjects such as GCSE Maths and English.
Original post by Data
All the exam boards except Edexcel are non-profit making organisations. They make a loss on the majority of exam and recoup it on the mass entry subjects such as GCSE Maths and English.

Sorry , to be honest was just taking information from the comments posted earlier. Will check what I'm saying is correct next time :colondollar:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned A-level Art, that crap effs you over.
I have applied to get all of my scripts back as I'm quite sure I did better than what I got and as a result haven't been sleeping much since. Atleast I'll have piece of mind when I see if/where I went wrong.
Reply 210
If you guys want a real kick in the teeth I can give you one:

£55 for a remark? The person remarking it gets £1.50.

£15 for a clerical check? The person checking it gets 50p.

Definitely non-profit right there. Having to spend £101.40 on 4 resits.
I'm just sleepy...really sleepy.

All the time D:
But, if I were Education Secretary, I'd scrap all exam boards, and reinstate them with one central (govt. controlled) exam authority. Everything is standardised, everyone gets same paper on the same day. Same A*-U grades, fixed proportions of the candidates get each grade (eg top 5%=A*, next 15% is A etc.) No complaints, none of this "OMGOMGOMG AQA is easier, OCR is waaaay harder, my A is like your C" nonsense...
Reply 213
Remember all content that may come up in exam and all writing techniques required.

Do exam.

Forget everything.

Rinse and repeat.

Oxbridge here I come.
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
My experience is that only people who get bad grades have no faith in the exam system :erm:

Do your work and you'll get the grades. I don't see the problem.

Oops...controversial.

lol at the negs..

This is actually true.

But if someone wrote one paragaph for an english essay and somehow got an A*.. they wouldn't complain so its only people with poor results who will speak up.
Original post by Boom533
But, if I were Education Secretary, I'd scrap all exam boards, and reinstate them with one central (govt. controlled) exam authority. Everything is standardised, everyone gets same paper on the same day. Same A*-U grades, fixed proportions of the candidates get each grade (eg top 5%=A*, next 15% is A etc.) No complaints, none of this "OMGOMGOMG AQA is easier, OCR is waaaay harder, my A is like your C" nonsense...

Does each board give the same % of A's for Maths, Physics, etc? Or does it vary? That says it all in my view. I remember for certain A-Levels, OCR always seemed to give more A's than AQA, when I compared grades/marks (some years ago). Always seemed fishy to me.
Looking through the post on this thread makes me realise one common theme that I noticed halfway through Year 13.

I value my education highly and I absolutely love learning, but A Levels aren't about that. There is a hugh obsession with marks to the point where it got too much for me. I could study so hard and go through all the content and past papers, but I still didn't do well. When I settled into A Levels after 3 months of sorting out my options, I had high hopes of doing well (getting mostly Bs and maybe the odd A) and I kept this hope up throughout year 12 and until halfway in year 13. By the time I finished my A Levels, I was so fed up, exhausted, irritable and so glad they were over, because I was sick and tired of doing them. It was just constantly exams exams exams, and marks marks marks. My motivation and confidence were slipping away, because for years previously I'd been so used to learning and studying hard. It didn't help that I had family issues, which were catching up on me and affecting my ability to do well, and putting me under tremendous strain.

I'm so glad I'm not studying A Levels anymore, I couldn't bear to put myself through that again. I just hope that studying a foundation year (starting this September) and a three year degree afterwards in a subject I love and I'm passionate about will not be bad experiences like my A Levels were.
(edited 12 years ago)
In AQA Economics Unit 1 this January, for the 5 marker they asked what the definition of derived demand was. I answered it and got 5/5 and my friend only defined demand and still got full marks. I'm happy for her and all, but how? She didn't completely answer the question at all.

All exams do is test knowledge, not really how you apply it. Anyone can easily memorise a history book with key dates and get an A*, but it doesn't mean that they are a top-class historian.
Reply 218
Original post by SweetChilliSauce
In AQA Economics Unit 1 this January, for the 5 marker they asked what the definition of derived demand was. I answered it and got 5/5 and my friend only defined demand and still got full marks. I'm happy for her and all, but how? She didn't completely answer the question at all.

All exams do is test knowledge, not really how you apply it. Anyone can easily memorise a history book with key dates and get an A*, but it doesn't mean that they are a top-class historian.

Wow, they ask such crappy questions and give you 5 marks. consider it as free marks for the entire UK rather then complaining about the content lol.
Original post by Dee Leigh
Looking through the post on this thread makes me realise one common theme that I noticed halfway through Year 13.

I value my education highly and I absolutely love learning, but A Levels aren't about that. There is a hugh obsession with marks to the point where it got too much for me. I could study so hard and go through all the content and past papers, but I still didn't do well. When I settled into A Levels after 3 months of sorting out my options, I had high hopes of doing well (getting mostly Bs and maybe the odd A) and I kept this hope up throughout year 12 and until halfway in year 13. By the time I finished my A Levels, I was so fed up, exhausted, irritable and so glad they were over, because I was sick and tired of doing them. It was just constantly exams exams exams, and marks marks marks. My motivation and confidence were slipping away, because for years previously I'd been so used to learning and studying hard. It didn't help that I had family issues, which were catching up on me and affecting my ability to do well, and putting me under tremendous strain.

I'm so glad I'm not studying A Levels anymore, I couldn't bear to put myself through that again. I just hope that studying a foundation year (starting this September) and a three year degree afterwards in a subject I love and I'm passionate about will not be bad experiences like my A Levels were.

Uni was the same for me, just more rote learning, past paper and problem sheet crunching, hours of revision and playing the 'game' with regards to marks chasing, exam technique, key words, jumping hoops, etc. At Imperial I'd typically have over a dozen exams in the summer, plus all the various lab, courseworks, etc. throughout the year.

Now looking back; uni and a-levels were a complete waste of time, it's just going through a system. I liked GCSE due to the variety of subjects and not past paper whoring and all that malarky. It felt more natural. I work as a Maths and Physics tutor and it feels more natural.

Uni's even more of a farce, because people are paying thousands and thousands to effectively teach themselves AND sit a boatload of exams.

Quick Reply

Latest