The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by Vulpes
Random question out of curiosity

The mitral valve has 2 cusps. However, if the pressure in the left side of the heart is much greater than the right, wouldn't 3 cusps be ideal? Especially if one cusp is damaged, at least you have 2 other cusps to compensate slightly rather than losing half the resistance. Won't 3 cusps also provide better resistance than 2?

Is there actually any benefit to having 2 cusps instead of 3?

:dontknow:

Interesting question.

Not sure if you tried googling it but the ever reliable medical textbook that is Yahoo Answers has an interesting theory. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080510013101AA7W6gZ
Reply 801
Original post by Elwyn
Interesting question.

Not sure if you tried googling it but the ever reliable medical textbook that is Yahoo Answers has an interesting theory. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080510013101AA7W6gZ

Haha. Thanks for that link. (and yours too Supermassive_muse_fan)

I understand how it is formed through embryology, just don't know why we haven't adapted to having more than 2 cusps. Guess its another one of those things I just have to accept haha :h:
Original post by Vulpes
Haha. Thanks for that link. (and yours too Supermassive_muse_fan)

I understand how it is formed through embryology, just don't know why we haven't adapted to having more than 2 cusps. Guess its another one of those things I just have to accept haha :h:

It is probably just that it does not have a significant selective advantage to warrant adaptation.

Alternatively, it may have something to do with how certain diseases interact with different valves.

For example it is possible that a bicuspid valve provides a selective survival advantage in Rheumatic fever or endocarditis. (there may have been an epidemic of such diseases in human past to warrant bicuspid mitrial valve.)

Or I just made all of the above up, and its just based on embryological origin.
(edited 12 years ago)
Its days like this that I miss medicine. Not because of the question about the mitral valve (because I have no frikkin idea about that :p:), but because this disso is so much effort. So, so, so much effort.

:yawn:
Original post by Medicine Man
Its days like this that I miss medicine. Not because of the question about the mitral valve (because I have no frikkin idea about that :p:), but because this disso is so much effort. So, so, so much effort.

Has MedEd finally drawn the life out of you?

Can feel your pain :frown: disso writing right now. It's not the fact it's even hard or anything, I find it hard to just get it written. Can talk about it, but it's just collating it together.

When do you finish your iBSc?
Reply 806
Original post by carcinoma

For example it is possible that a bicuspid valve provides a selective survival advantage in Rheumatic fever or endocarditis. (there may have been an epidemic of such diseases in human past to warrant bicuspid mitrial valve.)

Isn't mitral stenosis caused by rheumatic fever? o.o
Has MedEd finally drawn the life out of you?

It has. It really has. I've rewritten my lit review like 5 times now. On the plus side, my disso doesn't have to be as long as Becca's and FFCs so I'm all good! :p:

Also, I meant to comment on this a while back when I saw you posting about the Angoff method of standardising and stuff, but mate, you know about crap I learnt about like 2/3 months ago. Fact. It's scary (in a good way I guess). I hadn't heard about that until my third module, and even laughed at it's name the first time I heard it (don't ask why). I thought I loved Med Ed, but I think you defo trump my passion for it. Haha.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Can feel your pain :frown: disso writing right now. It's not the fact it's even hard or anything, I find it hard to just get it written. Can talk about it, but it's just collating it together.

When do you finish your iBSc?

I know what you mean. It's not too hard in that I can get the words down. Its just making sure it makes sense and flows and that I'm actually answering my research question without deviating etc. that's the problem. So much effort. I've done all my exams and handed in my last essay for the year on the last day of term (last Friday), so all I have to do is write this and prepare for my Viva and project presentation.
Original post by Vulpes

Yes, but let's say that mitrial stenosis was preferential to say valve failure in people with tricuspid mitrial valves. Then those with bicuspid mitrial valves would have survived.

This is all pure speculation, I have no evidence to suggest this, just a thought experiment.
This BSc will be the end of me :sigh:
I know what you mean. It's not too hard in that I can get the words down. Its just making sure it makes sense and flows and that I'm actually answering my research question without deviating etc. that's the problem. So much effort. I've done all my exams and handed in my last essay for the year on the last day of term (last Friday), so all I have to do is write this and prepare for my Viva and project presentation.

Luckily my thesis isn't all that long, it's only 12K words and we had to write a 10k dissertation at end of second year so have done it before albeit first time in forming hypotheses etc so can relate with you there. But have realised get a pretty good summer holiday - have my viva first week of June -> graduation ceremony July 13th -> start back August 20th.

That's like 11 weeks :biggrin:... and then go back to CardioResp block (well after the Summer SSC but honestly not even concerned if I get allocated to something like social health, I just want to go back!)
Reply 812
Original post by crazylemon
Ok staying up till 1 last night building a replica of farnsworth house out of Lego probably doesn't count as a good use of my time. But it is so pretty.

Pics? :h:
Reply 813
Original post by Vulpes

Yes, but not always :tongue:
Original post by Vulpes

Hyperventilating because i dont know even though i spent over a month on a cardiology ward and its on my core conditions i need to know :eek:
Can wait to have finish my second set of revision notes.

By the end of easter i am writing no more!!
At least i have a&e last so lots of acute history practice!
Stress level = 8/10! Not sure ive ever been this stressed before. Third year had the hardest clinical exams ive been told and fourth year the hardest knowledge exams, so technically im over the worst??
It has. It really has. I've rewritten my lit review like 5 times now. On the plus side, my disso doesn't have to be as long as Becca's and FFCs so I'm all good! :p:

Also, I meant to comment on this a while back when I saw you posting about the Angoff method of standardising and stuff, but mate, you know about crap I learnt about like 2/3 months ago. Fact. It's scary (in a good way I guess). I hadn't heard about that until my third module, and even laughed at it's name the first time I heard it (don't ask why). I thought I loved Med Ed, but I think you defo trump my passion for it. Haha.

My passion for MedEd is slowly dying, I was considering doing it as my iBSc but i cant really see its use in the near future. (other than the obvious BSc worth)

I only know about these methods because iv taken an interest in what methods they use here and why.

What are you writing your dissertation?
Original post by fairy spangles
Hyperventilating because i dont know even though i spent over a month on a cardiology ward and its on my core conditions i need to know :eek:
Can wait to have finish my second set of revision notes.

By the end of easter i am writing no more!!
At least i have a&e last so lots of acute history practice!
Stress level = 8/10! Not sure ive ever been this stressed before. Third year had the hardest clinical exams ive been told and fourth year the hardest knowledge exams, so technically im over the worst??

You are definitely thought the worst of it. Year 3 and 4 are universally the worst years.

Im sure you know far more than you give yourself credit for, you must know nearly all of undergraduate medicine. Somewhere.
Reply 817
Original post by crazylemon
Ok staying up till 1 last night building a replica of farnsworth house out of Lego probably doesn't count as a good use of my time. But it is so pretty.

Show!! :biggrin:
Hmm, girlfriend has come back from tour with what I am 99% sure is atrophic glossitus (smooth tongue), developed around Tuesday. She's a fairly heavy drinker (probably close to 40 units a week), vegetarian (for last 5 years or so) and has a history (2 years or so) of mild anaemia which was diagnosed as microcytic iron defiency anaemia (I think, her GP never actually told her her bloods just said she had anaemia and treated with oral iron supplements)

She can't get down to the GP for a few days due to the holidays. The only condition I know of that's associated with atrophic glossitus is B12 deficiency but I can't see it being this. I did a quick test of peripheral sensitivity (touch & vibration) and it was fine. Am I right in saying she doesn't need to head to A&E and is fine until mid week? It's causing her quite a lot of pain and discomfort but this isn't an emergency, right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Luckily my thesis isn't all that long, it's only 12K words and we had to write a 10k dissertation at end of second year so have done it before albeit first time in forming hypotheses etc so can relate with you there. But have realised get a pretty good summer holiday - have my viva first week of June -> graduation ceremony July 13th -> start back August 20th.

That's like 11 weeks :biggrin:... and then go back to CardioResp block (well after the Summer SSC but honestly not even concerned if I get allocated to something like social health, I just want to go back!)

My summer holiday will be 11/12 weeks as well! Cannot wait! I don't know what I start with but I'm hoping its Cardioresp! My summer could potentially be ruined if my abstract to present at an AMEE Conference in Lyon this August is accepted, but even if it isn't accepted, the entire BSc class (all 12 of us) get to go to Lyon for the entire week anyway, so it'll be a nice break before I get back into medicine.

My passion for MedEd is slowly dying, I was considering doing it as my iBSc but i cant really see its use in the near future. (other than the obvious BSc worth)

I only know about these methods because iv taken an interest in what methods they use here and why.

What are you writing your dissertation?

The thing is, I really see myself doing something with teaching. I just get a kick out of it. That's why I did the BSc - it is considered a formal teaching qualification as well. That, and I want to come back to be BL as like a lecturer or module lead (or Dean :colone:). So yeah, I would love to do the Med Ed masters afterwards too.

I could bore you to death with my disso title, but I'll give you the answer I give everyone when they ask what it is on - essentially its looking at why students like/dislike histology and if this can be linked to the way in which they are taught. Its a comparative study (not sure I can list the medical schools involved in it as I promised them anonymity, and this is the internet after all), but its really exciting (at least I find it exciting). :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending