The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham: Modern Language Applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Courtney05
thankyou :smile: are the courses over subscribed or under? I looked on ucas track and found that they were still accepting applications for my course - only found three people doing it so far! Have they let people on your course who fell below the requirements?

No, they do not allow you onto the course if you do not have the required grades unless you have extenuating circumstances (perhaps). The courses are oversubscribed and will not appear in clearing.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 21
Oh thats really different from what I got told at the open day by the lecturers actually...maybe its just my course that people dont want to do haha :L
Original post by Courtney05
Oh thats really different from what I got told at the open day by the lecturers actually...maybe its just my course that people dont want to do haha :L

It may be because its English language, not literature. Language isn't as oversubscribed.
I've got a question :smile:

I'm applying for French and Italian for 2013 entry, and I was just wondering about the choices you get when choosing your Year Abroad... is it possible to go outside of Europe eg. to Canada? Just that at some universities I looked at they said it was Europe only. I know that obviously if I went to Canada for my Year Abroad it would have to be outside of Erasmus and maybe a little bit more complicated, but I'm just wondering if it's possibe at all.

I think I'm going to firm Birmingham for languages. Quite excited about it now :smile:
Original post by y ddraig goch
I've got a question :smile:

I'm applying for French and Italian for 2013 entry, and I was just wondering about the choices you get when choosing your Year Abroad... is it possible to go outside of Europe eg. to Canada? Just that at some universities I looked at they said it was Europe only. I know that obviously if I went to Canada for my Year Abroad it would have to be outside of Erasmus and maybe a little bit more complicated, but I'm just wondering if it's possibe at all.

I think I'm going to firm Birmingham for languages. Quite excited about it now :smile:

You can only go to places that the university has links with. Students of French usually go to Paris, Toulouse, Versailles etc. And for Italian; Milan, Naples, Bologna. It really depends on what languages you study, and what connection Birmingham has with the universities there.
Hey, I've firmed my offer for French at Birmingham, but I'm considering seeing if I can change it to French and beginner's Spanish. Do you know anyone who's started a language from scratch? Just trying to work out whether it would be too difficult and end up making me fail French :/

Cheers,
Ella :smile:
Original post by bonjour_ella
Hey, I've firmed my offer for French at Birmingham, but I'm considering seeing if I can change it to French and beginner's Spanish. Do you know anyone who's started a language from scratch? Just trying to work out whether it would be too difficult and end up making me fail French :/

Cheers,
Ella :smile:

I think you'll be fine. I do Spanish (Post A level) with beginners European and Brazilian Portuguese. It is manageable as the language level from the beginners language is very basic :smile:
Thankyou:smile:
I've emailed them now to ask to change my course to major in French and minor in Hispanic Studies:smile: Do you know where in Spain you can go for the year abroad? There doesn't seem to be anything about it on the website.
Original post by bonjour_ella
I've emailed them now to ask to change my course to major in French and minor in Hispanic Studies:smile: Do you know where in Spain you can go for the year abroad? There doesn't seem to be anything about it on the website.

There isn't anything on the website as it can change dramatically every year. Eg for Latin America, places like Peru and Colombia used to be available, but because of the current situations, they aren't deemed safe etc. It also depends on which universities can offer places! I know for definite that people leaving for their year abroad in September are going to: Madrid, Malaga, Sevilla, Salamanca, Barcelona, Tarragona, Cadiz...there really are places all over the country that you can go to :smile: I'm going into my second year after the summer, so I will find out more then :smile:
Hi Everyone

I am a current second year studying Russian (ab initio) and International Relations here in Birmingham. Feel free to ask any questions that you might have! :smile:
Just thought of something else I meant to ask. What dictionaries do you have? I'm doing beginner's Spanish and French, and I really can't afford (or be bothered carrying) two of those massive hardback dictionaries. Do people usually buy the big versions, or can you get by with smaller ones? Also, do you happen to know anywhere I'd be able to get them cheap? I realise this is quite a lot of questions haha.

Thankyou
Ella
Reply 32
Went to Birmingham open day on Saturday and was gutted to find out that they weren't running the European Studies (politics) programme in 2013, it was my favourite course out of all of them!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 33
Hey everyone, especially thesilvermagnolia (Giulia has been in contact with you I believe? ) Basically I'm in a difficult situation regarding which uni to choose to study Modern Languages and I was always set on Birmingham and then Leicester seemed to grab my attention when I went to the applicant day. Anyway, I have since been looking at the league tables again and the Guardian in particular portray the department at Birmingham to be pretty weak in comparison to the others, now I always thought that it was regarded as one the best around? Could you shed any light on this for me and maybe tell me about your experience there? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show