The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Chemistry UCL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JeremyB
I was thinking about firming UCL and then having Bristol as insurance. But then again Bristol are quite strict about getting an A in maths, so I might be better off putting down York as insurance.

Another thing I've been thinking about is when do we have to apply for accommodation?

I've already applied for my accommodation, i thought it was quite hard to do, so if you get stuck just ask me
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by assless666
Hey,

Im a first year chemical engineer looking to switch to chemistry for the next academic year. Im being considered as an applicant, and my entry depends on passing all modules, so I was not interviewed. However in your case it is way too early to start worrying about not having heard a reply. Id start worrying in may. Moreover the length of time taken by the ucl is not at all indicative of what their decision will be

On a side note Which A levels are you applying with and what are you predicted? Also do chemistry applicants usually get interviewed at UCL?

Hey are currently studying chemical engineering at UCL? If yes, could you please describe how the course and the department are and why are you willing to switch course? I am looking forward to study chemical engineering at UCL or Manchester next year.
Reply 42
Original post by glitter_star12
I've already applied for my accommodation, i thought it was quite hard to do, so if you get stuck just ask me

Hi again. :smile: In the information I received in the post I was told to get information about applying here:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/

But on that site it says: "You will be sent details of how to access the Accommodation Applications website with your offer of a place to study at UCL".

So how am I supposed to do this? :s-smilie:
Original post by JeremyB
Hi again. :smile: In the information I received in the post I was told to get information about applying here:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation/

But on that site it says: "You will be sent details of how to access the Accommodation Applications website with your offer of a place to study at UCL".

So how am I supposed to do this? :s-smilie:

I got this from someone else on here, but basically go on that website and then click applications on the left, then application process (on the tab area), then Accommodation Application site, then under "I do not yet know my UCL userid and password" select " Online User Registration website".
I hope that helps and it is what you mean :smile:
Reply 44
As long as your command of Physics and mechanics is strong, you should have no problem. Many of the concepts you pick up studying mechanics and physics will be reused and built upon; the underlying framework of how such academic disciplines work (such as dealing with complicated equations and manipulating them) will aid you greatly in some of the core modules such as thermodynamics and transport processes. Just be warned that the intensity of the course is pretty high and it is quite challenging as for the most part for the final exams you have to identify relevant information for yourself out of a huge mass of information exposed to you by way of lectures, course materials and text books.

The lectures themselves are paradoxical and your opinion on them will depend greatly on the approach you adopt as a student. If you are a 'good' student you will find lectures fairly useful and challenging. The lecturers move at a vary fast pace and most are typical lecturers (boring dusty bastards). However they are always willing to help and given that you read up before lectures and go over notes after lectures you should have no problem understanding what is going on. However if you are a 'normal' student and miss some lectures or fall asleep in some after gettin mashed the nyt before you will struggle to follow what is going on as the concepts being examined are for the most part very complex and in IMO boring. The strategy to adopt at UCL is to identify types of questions, identify relevant information and get to grips with that by whatever means necessary. UCL have provided the means as they give you mentors, and give you ample oppurtunity to ask lecturers and older students.

So all in all, just like engineering at most universities prepare to do alot of individual practice and legwork because the university in itself will only pass onto you tools, its your duty to learn how to use them.
Reply 45
Original post by assless666
As long as your command of Physics and mechanics is strong, you should have no problem. Many of the concepts you pick up studying mechanics and physics will be reused and built upon; the underlying framework of how such academic disciplines work (such as dealing with complicated equations and manipulating them) will aid you greatly in some of the core modules such as thermodynamics and transport processes. Just be warned that the intensity of the course is pretty high and it is quite challenging as for the most part for the final exams you have to identify relevant information for yourself out of a huge mass of information exposed to you by way of lectures, course materials and text books.

The lectures themselves are paradoxical and your opinion on them will depend greatly on the approach you adopt as a student. If you are a 'good' student you will find lectures fairly useful and challenging. The lecturers move at a vary fast pace and most are typical lecturers (boring dusty bastards). However they are always willing to help and given that you read up before lectures and go over notes after lectures you should have no problem understanding what is going on. However if you are a 'normal' student and miss some lectures or fall asleep in some after gettin mashed the nyt before you will struggle to follow what is going on as the concepts being examined are for the most part very complex and in IMO boring. The strategy to adopt at UCL is to identify types of questions, identify relevant information and get to grips with that by whatever means necessary. UCL have provided the means as they give you mentors, and give you ample oppurtunity to ask lecturers and older students.

So all in all, just like engineering at most universities prepare to do alot of individual practice and legwork because the university in itself will only pass onto you tools, its your duty to learn how to use them.

Thanks for your reply!
I think I'll pick materials science and engineering at Imperial in the end because the course seems broader and offers more options in 3rd/4th year but I'm still not sure because I'm worried about the fact that it does not have as good job prospects as a chem Eng degree as it is less well known than chem Eng.
Anyone get an offer for Chemistry 2012?
Can I please know your AS grades so it gives me a good idea whether to apple here or not next year
Reply 47
Yeah, I have and I got AAAB :smile:

Edit: I got As in Maths, History and Chemistry and a B in Biology but I know someone who got AABB with my subjects with a B in Chemistry and he also got an offer :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mero8
Yeah, I have and I got AAAB :smile:

Edit: I got As in Maths, History and Chemistry and a B in Biology but I know someone who got AABB with my subjects with a B in Chemistry and he also got an offer :smile:

Ah ok, thats helpful!
Thanks! I shall try to aim for 4As to be safe obviously.
Why didn';t you firm UCL?
Also...what did you write in your personal statement, like chemistry related
Reply 49
Original post by chignesh10
Ah ok, thats helpful!
Thanks! I shall try to aim for 4As to be safe obviously.
Why didn';t you firm UCL?
Also...what did you write in your personal statement, like chemistry related

I want to be a Doctor, UCL was my fifth choice because you can only apply to four medical schools :-) Also if its any help my GCSEs are very similar to yours as I got 9A* and 3A.

I had a medicine personal statement, so they asked me to write them another one which was only half a page about why I enjoy chemistry, so not really a personal statement.

Anyway, I mentioned when my interest for Chemistry stemmed and recent articles I have read in good science journals which interested me, and why they interested me. I linked it to what sort of Chemistry I am interested in and why I think it is interesting.

When I was interviewed, I got asked some Scientific questions about one of the things I wrote down, but also about other stuff in the A level syllabus so make sure if you mention any articles you've read/areas you are interested in that you know them well before your interview.

It's not a vigorous interview, they said in an email most people who are interviewed get offers, so I think it's just to meet you and make sure they are not giving offers to really rubbish people who somehow looked good on paper!
Original post by Mero8
I want to be a Doctor, UCL was my fifth choice because you can only apply to four medical schools :-) Also if its any help my GCSEs are very similar to yours as I got 9A* and 3A.

I had a medicine personal statement, so they asked me to write them another one which was only half a page about why I enjoy chemistry, so not really a personal statement.

Anyway, I mentioned when my interest for Chemistry stemmed and recent articles I have read in good science journals which interested me, and why they interested me. I linked it to what sort of Chemistry I am interested in and why I think it is interesting.

When I was interviewed, I got asked some Scientific questions about one of the things I wrote down, but also about other stuff in the A level syllabus so make sure if you mention any articles you've read/areas you are interested in that you know them well before your interview.

It's not a vigorous interview, they said in an email most people who are interviewed get offers, so I think it's just to meet you and make sure they are not giving offers to really rubbish people who somehow looked good on paper!

Ah ok, that was really helpful!
I really want to do chemistry at UCL, are you currently at uni or starting next year?
Anyone get an offer for Chemistry 2012?
Can I please know your AS grades so it gives me a good idea whether to apple here or not next year

ABBB so don't be put off :smile: I had a lot of extra-curricular stuff too and my predicted grades are good. Offer is AAB with A in chem and I carried on with 4 subjects so hopefully I should get the grades!
Original post by Fishbulb25
ABBB so don't be put off :smile: I had a lot of extra-curricular stuff too and my predicted grades are good. Offer is AAB with A in chem and I carried on with 4 subjects so hopefully I should get the grades!

Ah ok that's made me feel slightly better!
Also, what sorta chemistry related activities did you mention in your PS?
Lastly, if you don't mind me asking questions, what did they ask in your interview?
Ah ok that's made me feel slightly better!
Also, what sorta chemistry related activities did you mention in your PS?
Lastly, if you don't mind me asking questions, what did they ask in your interview?

I also got an offer from imperial but it was a bit unrealistic for me so have firmed UCL :biggrin: and the interviewers were a bit unpleasant. My friend got the same as me and she's also got an offer from ucl.

I'd been on a couple of chem summer schools and had helped out in some Y7 science lessons for a while. I'd been to some UCL friday lectures and joined the royal society of chemistry. Join that, it's £15 for a year's subscription but it's worth having it. I'd also joined the institute of physics for free online for 16-18 year olds. That was about it for chem 'cause it's quite hard to find activities to do with it.

The guy started with one of the worst things "So, tell me about yourself". :confused::confused: He asked me what I like to do in my spare time and why UCL. I'd written about organic chem in my statement so I got paired up with an organic chemist who asked me to draw and explain a mechanism from AS. Whatever you write about in your statement, make sure you're an expert on that topic. I didn't think it'd gone too well and the guy came across as quite cold/emotionless. Hope this helps!
Reply 54
Original post by pinkcherrytart
i got a rejection :frown: :cry2:

Did the interview not go as planned?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending