The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

The Jumbo "Which College" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by binnie_
Do people usually get into their first choice of college?

I don't know really, if you choose Cartmel I imagine you'll get it. It depends on how oversubscribed the college is. And I believe it isn't first come first served either, so don't worry about getting your application in straight away (obviously the sooner you do it the sooner it is out of the way).
I didn't get my first choice, and my flatmate last year didn't get his first or second choice. They tend to match you by type of accommodation rather than by college if you miss out on the accommodation - for example if your first choice is Fylde Superior Ensuite and your second choice is Furness Superior Ensuite and you miss the Fylde one, you'll be given the Furness one rather than the Fylde Standard Ensuite. If you missed both you'd probably be given County Superior Ensuite or Cartmel Superior Ensuite rather than the other type of accommodation in either Fylde or Furness (wow that was hard remembering which colleges have which types of accommodation, probably got at least one wrong).
Hope this helps.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 101
Original post by minimarshmallow
I don't know really, if you choose Cartmel I imagine you'll get it. It depends on how oversubscribed the college is. And I believe it isn't first come first served either, so don't worry about getting your application in straight away (obviously the sooner you do it the sooner it is out of the way).
I didn't get my first choice, and my flatmate last year didn't get his first or second choice. They tend to match you by type of accommodation rather than by college if you miss out on the accommodation - for example if your first choice is Fylde Superior Ensuite and your second choice is Furness Superior Ensuite and you miss the Fylde one, you'll be given the Furness one rather than the Fylde Standard Ensuite. If you missed both you'd probably be given County Superior Ensuite or Cartmel Superior Ensuite rather than the other type of accommodation in either Fylde or Furness (wow that was hard remembering which colleges have which types of accommodation, probably got at least one wrong).
Hope this helps.

Thank you, that really helped! I'm thinking of applying for both Basic Standard (the cheapest, in Bowland) and Upgraded Standard (in Furness). Many of the colleges offer the second type of accommodation and I don't really mind in getting in any of them so.. I just wish I could get into the same college as one particular person. ^^''
Reply 102
I've just got my email through to apply but I'm stuck on what to put down.

I've narrowed it down to two:
County superior standard £96 per week
Grizedale superior ensuite £112 per week

I've choosen these two because I liked the idea of having a lounge area. I really like county but you have to share with up to 12 people where as in grizedale you only share with 6. I liked the sound of less people better but am not sure if it will be as fun as the county. I'm doing physics btw.

Any opinions would be valued. Thanks.
Reply 103
I'm now thinking County as my first choice, but struggling between Grizedale and Furness for my second. The thing that put me off Fylde is that every time I read something about it it's known as the 'sporty' college, and that's not really my ting.
Hi,

I have firmed Lancaster to study Accountancy & Finance EY Degree (AAB). I received my accommodation email today and I think I am going to choose Grizedale Townhouses as my 1st choice however I have no idea what to choose for 2nd choice. Any current students or starting 2012/2013 got any recommendations? Looking for something quite sociable and fairly involved with sports?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers!
Original post by lewisd17
I'm now thinking County as my first choice, but struggling between Grizedale and Furness for my second. The thing that put me off Fylde is that every time I read something about it it's known as the 'sporty' college, and that's not really my ting.

It's the sporty college but it doesn't mean that all we do is sport. I'm not at all sporty (mostly due to disability) and I played bar sports for a stint, but you don't have to be sporty.
Also, you get the bragging rights of being in the college that won Carter Shield even if you didn't compete :smile:
Hey, I have got an offer to do Accounting and Finance, and I have a couple of questions regarding accommodation. Firstly, what are the colleges that are quite near to the Business Lecture hall (As I can be quite lazy at times and if I have a long walk I will probably be late all the time!).
Secondly, I want to get involved in a lot of sport. For this reason I am drawn to Fylde. But someone told me that unless you are really good its hard to be able to play? I am ok at sport, but I am not really good at anything in particular...
Would I have more of a chance to play sport if I went to another college where people are less focused on sport, but then I feel like people won't want to play?
I am looking to play Tennis/Squash, Ultimate Frisbee and am interesting in starting canoeing. I also enjoy long distance running/cycling.
On the online form it asks for 'additional info you think may affect your accommodation allocation'. Has anyone put anything here?
Original post by mancuniangirl
On the online form it asks for 'additional info you think may affect your accommodation allocation'. Has anyone put anything here?

I have a knee condition that means I needed a ground floor room or an evacuation plan for a fire alarm, but I can't think of anything else off the top of my head...
Reply 109
So I want to stay in ensuite or superior ensuite...and I'm going to pick Furness as my 1st choice. But do I pick County or Grizedale for my second!? Not sure which is more sociable and has lounging areas or is has more of a partying status. I'm going to be studying Geography if that helps... :smile:
Can't make my mind up!
It's between Furness, Fylde and Grizedale- going to go for superior ensuite (I think). Need a first choice and a second choice out of those three. Any advice?!
Reply 111
Original post by barneybewick
Can't make my mind up!
It's between Furness, Fylde and Grizedale- going to go for superior ensuite (I think). Need a first choice and a second choice out of those three. Any advice?!

I don't see county! :eek:
Does anyone know anything about the Basic Standard accommodation in Bowland, is it a lot worse for the amount cheaper it is than other places? I'd ideally love Furness upgraded standard, but not sure if I can afford it, we don't get student loans in Jersey :s-smilie:
Reply 113
Original post by jerseymackem
Does anyone know anything about the Basic Standard accommodation in Bowland, is it a lot worse for the amount cheaper it is than other places? I'd ideally love Furness upgraded standard, but not sure if I can afford it, we don't get student loans in Jersey :s-smilie:

I've asked for it despite the horror stories. Judging by the facebook photos the only real problem I can imagine is the whole sharing the kitchen between a million people thing. It just looks a bit old and not particularly fancy. I like to think I'm not too fussy though :wink:

I haven't seen them in real life though, so I can't really help you on that, sorry.
Reply 114
applied for county as my first choice, just because I liked the room, I don't think you really need to worry about the "college spirit", i'm sure people will be nice in every college. :smile:
Original post by Erratic
I don't see county! :eek:

it's such a tough choice! what made you choose county?
Reply 116
It was the most applied college in the previous year and I personally think it's one of the best myself after reading through posts and viewing pictures. My second choice is Grizedale.
Question for an current students I'm applying for accommodation and I want to apply to the one where I have to walk the least in the morning. Tried looking on the campus map which wasn't particularly helpful since I don't know where my lessons will be. What would you put for your 1st and 2nd choice based on traveling distance for a biochem student? If one is the closest and the accommodation sounds fine then it makes my mind up for me and I won't have to make decisions.
Reply 118
I chose County as my first choice! I like that area of the university most, plus it's literally right by my seminars. It's mega convenient, and I think it's in one of the quieter areas of the college. I do like peace and quiet. Haha :P
Reply 119
Original post by Vijay2010
For mega parties, Bowland. For a reliable source of atmosphere, regular parties and community, Fylde. Furness standard washbasin has good accommodation for a great price (I live there) :smile:

How many people share a bathroom and kitchen in an upgraded standard room in Furness? What are the bathrooms like? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest