The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would ring NHS Direct to be sure- it's a legal requirement to label paracetamol with 'in case of overdose seek medical attention even if you feel well', so don't wait to see if you feel poorly. You've technically overdosed on paracetamol, plus in combination with alcohol, so it's better to ask the question of someone who will know the answer for sure. You'll probably be fine but just check.
Reply 2
Original post by NPB
Last night when I got home I (stupidly) took four paracetamol before going to bed.
I had been drinking throughout the night, probably about two bottles of wine in total.

So, can taking four paracetamol in one go mixed with already having alcohol be dangerous? Should I be worried..?

Won't be the best thing for your liver, but you will be fine.
I wouldn't make a habit of it but I doubt it's going to be a problem as a one off situation. If you're really worried then ring NHS direct or see your doctor.
Reply 4
It's not good practice to do it but 4 pills is fine, it's no way near the level you need to overdose. I regularly drink on opioids like Tramadol, just makes me feel sleepy/bit more drunk and dizzy!
Reply 5
Original post by Rybee
It's not good practice to do it but 4 pills is fine, it's no way near the level you need to overdose. I regularly drink on opioids like Tramadol, just makes me feel sleepy/bit more drunk and dizzy!

4 pills isn't fine. You're allowed a maximum 2 pills 4 times (total of 8) in 24 hours.
Please do not make a habit of taking Paracetamol, the best way to go is if you drink again (not recommended for a while) then sleep it off, do not take Paracetamol, it can actually (please do not be scared) cause a negative affect.

Hope this helps!

Oh and please consult a doctor (GP) or NHS Direct.

NHS Link about Paracetamol and Alcohol.

"Do not drink alcohol if you’re taking some types of painkillers (analgesics), such as:

strong painkillers
prescription-only painkillers

It may be safe to drink alcohol with some painkillers that can be bought over the counter (OTC), as long as you:

check the patient information leaflet that comes with the medicine
take the correct dose of your medicine
do not drink more than the recommended daily limits of alcohol

For more information about the recommended daily limits for alcohol consumption, see What level of drinking reduces the health risks of alcohol?
Getting advice

Painkillers come with a patient information leaflet or have a label that tells you:

what dose you should be taking
whether it's safe to drink alcohol while you're taking the medication

Always follow this guidance. If you need more information, you can:

use the Medicines A-Z to find information about your medicine
speak to your pharmacist or GP
call NHS Direct on 0845 4647

Below is some advice about specific types of painkillers.

Paracetamol

Paracetamol is available OTC without a prescription. Drinking a small amount of alcohol while taking paracetamol is usually safe as long as you follow the advice above.

Paracetamol should be used with caution if you have certain health conditions, such as liver problems. Your GP or pharmacist will be able to advise you. "
(edited 12 years ago)
brb consuming >20 units of alcohol in one evening and then worrying about 800mg of paracetamol.

Oh you kids.

But lettuce be cereal for a moment, OP. The relationship between alcohol and paracetamol effects are not well understood in the acute sense. However, paracetamol toxicity in alcoholic liver disease is increased but I can't imagine that applies to you unless you've been repeating this stupid act frequently and consistently over the last few years. If I were you, I would be more concerned about depressing my central nervous system with alcohol so much that I vomit and aspirate in my sleep.

Cheerio.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
brb consuming >20 units of alcohol in one evening and then worrying about 800mg of paracetamol.

Oh you kids.

But lettuce be cereal for a moment, OP. The relationship between alcohol and paracetamol effects are not well understood in the acute sense. However, paracetamol toxicity in alcoholic liver disease is increased but I can't imagine that applies to you unless you've been repeating this stupid act frequently and consistently over the last few years. If I were you, I would be more concerned about depressing my central nervous system with alcohol so much that I vomit and aspirate in my sleep.

Cheerio.

Actually, it's 2,000mg of paracetamol not 800mg. Try not to be so arrogant in future if you don't know what you're talking about. Mocking someone and being wrong yourself, is not a good look.
Reply 9
Original post by Rybee
Actually, it's 2,000mg of paracetamol not 800mg. Try not to be so arrogant in future if you don't know what you're talking about. Mocking someone and being wrong yourself, is not a good look.

Wow, you need to lighten the hell up. Obviously 4 pills is over the recommended dose but it's not going to kill you, don't assume you know everything about medicine after reading a box of pills.

OP, if you're able to write this thread then you're fine. As others have said, don't do it again, but you'll be fine. I know someone who took 6 paracetamol after a night of drinking, it was extremely stupid, but they didn't have to go to hospital.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by lukas1051
Wow, you need to lighten the hell up. Obviously 4 pills is over the recommended dose but it's not going to kill you, don't assume you know everything about medicine after reading a box of pills.

OP, if you're able to write this thread then you're fine. As others have said, don't do it again, but you'll be fine. I know someone who took 6 paracetamol after a night of drinking, it was extremely stupid, but they didn't have to go to hospital.

My knowledge on analgesia far exceeds that than which is written on a box of paracetamol, but thanks for your concern.
Reply 11
Original post by Rybee
My knowledge on analgesia far exceeds that than which is written on a box of paracetamol, but thanks for your concern.

Now who's being arrogant?! The irony! :rolleyes:
Trying to dodge a hangover eh?

You'll be fine, don't make a habit of it.
Original post by NPB
Last night when I got home I (stupidly) took four paracetamol before going to bed.
I had been drinking throughout the night, probably about two bottles of wine in total.

So, can taking four paracetamol in one go mixed with already having alcohol be dangerous? Should I be worried..?

One two bottles of wine? is that it :tongue:

Two no, don't be worried. You should however drink chocolate milk before you go to bed and have a bloody mary when you wake up :smile: hangover free :wink:
Original post by Rybee

Feel free to point out which part in the OP he stated the size of the pills he took. Seeing as supermarkets generally stock 200mg tablets (indeed, as well as 500mg), your guess is no better than mine. Irregardless, my point still stands.

u mad? yeah u mad. Try harder next time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Feel free to point out which part in the OP he stated the size of the pills he took. Seeing as supermarkets generally stock 200mg tablets (indeed, as well as 500mg), your guess is no better than mine. Irregardless, my point still stands.

u mad? yeah u mad. Try harder next time.

No, they don't. Paracetamol is almost ALWAYS stocked on shelf in 500mg tablets, if not they will be 1,000mg.

Ibuprofen however, is almost ALWAYS stocked on shelf in 200mg tablets, if not they will be 400mg.

I have never, ever seen any 200mg Paracetamol tablet that is sold OTC. Feel free to find me one from any supermarket or even a chemist that sell 200mg Paracetamol tablets...
I always take two paracetamols after drinking beore bed..

Damn I'm such an idiot.
Original post by Rybee
No, they don't. Paracetamol is almost ALWAYS stocked on shelf in 500mg tablets, if not they will be 1,000mg.

Ibuprofen however, is almost ALWAYS stocked on shelf in 200mg tablets, if not they will be 400mg.

I have never, ever seen any 200mg Paracetamol tablet that is sold OTC. Feel free to find me one from any supermarket or even a chemist that sell 200mg Paracetamol tablets...

Bro, I've seen both. Nevertheless, my point still stands. It changes nothing about the information I have to the OP.
Is OP alive? :mmm:
Reply 19
Bro, I've seen both. Nevertheless, my point still stands. It changes nothing about the information I have to the OP.

No, you haven't - because they don't exist on shop shelves :u:

Don't understand why some people find it so hard to admit they're wrong. Doesn't mean you should feel ashamed and embarrased that I was right and you were wrong. No problems hey :wink:

Latest