Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University has been bad for me

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014

Whilst at university, I've gotten more and more withdrawn, to the point where I feel like an alien in a foreign world. I'm avoiding all my tutorials now, still have no friends and hugely regret coming here in the 1st place. At least when I was working I knew what I had to do and the days were structured. And you know your colleagues at least a bit cause you work with them every day. Now I feel so lost and miserable. I'm not living the typical student life at all, I'm more of a hermit and just can't wait to leave really For some reason I'm really unmotivated most of the time and just feel guilty all the time about how behind I am :/

I'm going to stay another year though (if I can somehow pass) cause I don't know what I'd do otherwise. a uni drop out in his 20s with little experience can't be very attractive to many employers. But it's not a very happy situation. I just feel constantly weighed down
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually like your course? Are you interested in it and cancan you see yourself enjoying a job that you'd get out of it?
    If yes then you should definitely go to your tutorials, you can just sit on your own, you'll get more work done that way too just try get caught up and you'll feel so much better when you do honestly
    If you don't like your course and don't see a future in it then perhaps you should consider changing your life to a different direction?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you're talking about, I had the same experience. I think it's just one of those things we just need to get through. Something that might help would be having a part time job, so at least some of your week is structured.

Also set up other things during your week, so as societies or doing exercise in groups, which get you out and are something to look forward to. Then you'll meet people, and from there everything should be fine.

Good luck getting a routine, once you've found it I'm sure you'll find uni more enjoyable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How long has it been since you started? If its your first year you might find that things improve slowly somehow?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 15, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.