Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why dont atheists believe?

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The main reason i don't believe in God is because i don't need one. I'm comfortable with my limited existence on this earth and i intend to make the most of it.

Not to mention the fact God supposedly condems you to hell if you don't believe in him. Gotta love that benevolent bloke in the sky.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because there is absolutely no reason to believe it. None whatsoever. It is by definition delusional.

There is no reason to believe in any one specific religious doctrine as opposed to any other, or indeed, ANY other superstition which exists in our species at this moment, because they are all equally uncontaminated with evidence.

There is NOT A SINGLE THING we can observe about this reality that is logically indicative of ANY divine creator, let alone any of the specific divine creators mentioned in our religious scriptures.

The fact that these delusions still exist in this day and age, and that our society accords them respect and consideration, is both utterly hilarious and profoundly disturbing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    plenty of proof in the form of miracles, things that atheists view as coincidence.
    No, if someone actually did manage to turn water into wine Id be really impressesed, the fact of the matter is there is no 'proof' of these miracles occurring which exists outside of the Bible.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adequate Idiot)
    No, if someone actually did manage to turn water into wine Id be really impressesed, the fact of the matter is there is no 'proof' of these miracles occurring which exists outside of the Bible.
    well done for editing my post :rolleyes: why dont you read all of it before you reply? I never suggested there was proof of miracles.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by max.d.cox)
    its you who is ignorant, you ignore the FACTS.

(Evolution)

You sayin dinosaurs didnt exist- HAAAAAAA you make me laugh
    ok maybe they did but god definitely does end of story, im not ignoring i just dont believe in evo. god made humans and animals etc end of.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist.

If atheists are so sure, what evidence do they have to back up their claim?
    We're not so sure, that's the *******. We don't choose to be atheists, it is the default state of not-knowing that we start from when we consider any evidence pointing towards the existence of a deity.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Atheists actually know that there is a God but they reject Him
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL God... Next thing we know...some people actually believe it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spairos)
    You're thinking of antitheists.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah.7)
    ok maybe they did but god definitely does end of story, im not ignoring i just dont believe in evo. god made humans and animals etc end of.
    Are you still going? Just accept that an awful lot of people do not just 'believe' in evolution, but they also accept it as fact.

I don't 'not believe' in god, I am of the opinion that there is nothing to believe in or not, we are just animals on our little rock, whizzing around the sun and that is all there is! End of!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah.7)
    i just dont believe in evo
    OK TSR Experiment:

Take 6 types of antibiotics every 3 days for 6 months then go into the kitchen and lick a dirty towel that hasnt been washed in several weeks. Once you get sick take the antibiotics the doctor prescribes. Then see what happens.

Then you can see if evolution is a myth
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am an atheist and I don't believe because you simply cannot take a book and say that whatever it says (or some of its contents) are true. It's the same thing as taking lets say a harry potter book and saying that all of the things in that harry potter book are true and therefore a magical world must exist. I know that sounds stupid but that's exactly what religion does. If we assume that either Christianity or Islam is a true religion then one of these must be complete fake. So one of the Bible or the Quran is utter ******** written by complete liars. This idea of one true religion repulses me, and so I have no respect for any religion. That's not to say that good things can come out of religion. This also raises the question of why I'm not an agnostic but instead an atheist. Well it's simply because there is evidence of the universe being able to function without a creator needed, and also I hate to sit on the fence.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't see any reason why I should...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

What god?

There are thousands of gods, why do you reject them when you know they exist?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Celestial Teapot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist.

If atheists are so sure, what evidence do they have to back up their claim?
    You can't prove something doesn't exist.
    But there is so much more evidence for science than some so called 'Holy' books written millenia ago by old men in caves.
    God is man created, and I really struggle to understand why anyone finds it plausible that a God exists... It's a fairytale that you were fed since you were born. IMO it's parents brainwashing us that continues the belief in God. If you were only told about God/religion when you were say 20 and you had a better functioning, more logical brain, you'd be a lot less likely to believe in it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    IMO, there's no right or wrong answer. It's wrong to force your beliefs on other people because you think what you believe is right.
    You have to accept that some people don't believe what you do. When insanely ignorant religious people grow up and realise they believe in basically the same thing, the world can finally move on.
    This is my belief, I respect that other people believe differently, but this is a pointless argument that's just going to cause unnecessary conflict.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    zounds... unmasked... well, might as well confess : that's entirely true

but it's out of pure generosity : of course we atheists know that God exists, but since we know also that places in Paradise are limited, we atheists consciously decide to sacrifice ourselves, reject God and go to Hell, so that "true believers" have no *******s in getting access to Paradise

so, there we are, silently trodding towards an eternity of torture, so that our believing friends and co-posters can enjoy rivers of premier cru wine, the black-eyed virgins, the harp-playing, the flapping around in flowing white robes or whatever else satisfies their little believing hearts...

but, are they grateful to us for our self-sacrifice ?

no : they call us idiots, close-minded, evil etc etc

truly, truly, there is no justice
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insanity514)
    This idea of one true religion repulses me, and so I have no respect for any religion. That's not to say that good things can come out of religion.
    I think it's more complex than that

religion used to be an essential part of our identity : you were a Pole, so you were a Catholic. A Swede, therefore a Lutheran Protestant. A Russian, therefore an Orthodox Christian. Turk/Muslim, SriLankan/Buddhist etc etc

Of course there were also religious minorities within national boundaries, but usually these people were not considered as "true" Poles, "true" Russians etc (the Jews being the most well-known of these "shady" minorities)

With people moving around, settling everywhere, with people being less organically tied to their national/religious community, this deep link between religion and identity is in crisis.

To a certain extent, all religions are "true" : they are true for their followers, because they synthetize the experience of a people and of a culture (for the better and for the worse)

At the same time, since all religions are somehow true, none really is : this means, none is "objectively" true.

However, since "perfect objectivity" does not exist, we will never get to the bottom of this murky *******.

Best
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    IMO atheism is as much faith as theism. Agnosticism is the only stance that doesn't require faith.
    and baldness is a hair colour.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 1, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.