Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why dont atheists believe?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    Imagine there's a box. I say there's an apple inside, but you disagree. You can prove me wrong by opening the box and showing me there is no apple.

So don't tell me you can't prove a negative.
    You think there's an apple in the box, while the other person thinks that there isn't. That is not a negative.

Theism is the belief in a God, the belief that there is an apple. Atheism is a lack of belief, the lack of belief that the apple you're convinced is there is in fact there. Atheism is not a belief that something doesn't exist: it is not someone believing the apple not to be in the box, it is someone not being convinced by your argument that the apple is in the box.

If someone is not convinced by what you're saying, it is up to you to prove it is the truth. While you can ask them what they believe or why they don't believe you, neither answer strengthens your argument.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    ...but if that was true no one would ever argue about anything. people disagree on what constitutes as proof in all areas of life.

then again what do i know :dontknow:
    Why wouldn't we? And just because people disagree it doesn't mean that it's subjective, it just means they're wrong to disagree. In a scientific context, proof is not qa concept open to personal interpretation, it has to meet a certain criteria to avoid being dismissed. If this wasn't the case then we'd have to afford flat earthers, creationists, 9/11 truthers and so forth the same level of courtesy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    atheist take things literally which makes them ignorant ****s...
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideongaspard)
    atheist take things literally which makes them ignorant ****s...
    Not necessarily. I reject christianity on account of there being insufficient evidence for it regardless of interpretation, literal or metaphorical, for example.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apeiron)
    Your definition is wrong for most atheists (and contradicts your question), but there are a few who make the strong claim that there is no God.

One way of justifying this assertion is by looking at the frequently claimed properties for God of omniscience and logical omnipotence. If God is thus omniscient and omnipotent, can he create a problem he cannot solve? The question cannot be answered. Some atheists claim, therefore, that God is a contradictory concept and cannot exist.
    An omnipotent being can easily overcome logical contradictions.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    An omnipotent bring can easily overcome logical contradictions.
    Yes, that is why I stipulated logical omnipotence. Most theologians that I have come across do not accept alogical omnipotence because, I assume, it makes God appear capricious and irrational.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    An omnipotent being can easily overcome logical contradictions.
    No it can't. Please address the paradox of the stone, for example.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am an atheist, but this analogy annoys me, due to the fact that we KNOW there cannot be a teapot orbiting the sun, as there has been no recorded launch of a teapot into space.

A better analogy is of course the flying spaghetti monster in space.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmccririck)
    I am an atheist, but this analogy annoys me, due to the fact that we KNOW there cannot be a teapot orbiting the sun, as there has been no recorded launch of a teapot into space.

No we don't know that. It might have been launched from a different star system.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:

No we don't. What if NASA did it as part of a covert operation?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Think of the religions you don't believe in. Why aren't you muslin/jewish/christian/ancient Egyptian sun-god worshiper?

Why don't you believe in scientology or sikhism or budism?

Its because you think all other religions and gods are BS. And thats what I think of yours.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When can people understand that there are two definitions of the word atheism. This is because there are multiple ways to interpret the word atheos, which is where atheism comes from!
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    A teapot wouldn't be in space as it would be crushed by space rocks :lol:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist.

If atheists are so sure, what evidence do they have to back up their claim?
    You are asking the wrong question, what evidence is there to believe. We cannot prove negitive claims because there are infinitely many things which are not true, we only accept something as truth if there is evidence for it. In the case of a god, whether he exists or not, there doesnt seem to be any evidence either way, so we use the Null hypothesis, i.e no evidence of a God, default position, dont believe in one.

Im sure this has been said countless times..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can you beleive in god if its just a thoery (a guass)?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do other people care so much what our individual beliefs are?

At both ends of the spectrum, the religious types go around trying to convince us 'non-believers' there is a god. However, there's people like Richard Dawkins who does the opposite and tries to get religious people to drop their faith.

I don't care whether you're Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, agnostic or atheist. It's none of my business, and as long as it doesn't affect me or others in a negative manner then I'm fine with it.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    A teapot wouldn't be in space as it would be crushed by space rocks :lol:
    Not necessarily, it would be an extremely tiny target on an extremely large orbit.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extremebadgers)
    Thor, he controls lightning and has a giant hammer what more do you want in a god?
    You're right, that is good. Alright then! From this day forward, count me a Norse-Germanic pagan!

This feels much better.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apeiron)
    No we don't know that. It might have been launched from a different star system.
    So an alien race happens to design a teapot, of the same design as ours, and then launches into space?? :P

(Original post by Gofre)
    No we don't. What if NASA did it as part of a covert operation?
    An operation with what objective?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    An operation with what objective?
    Maybe they did it for the lulz?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 1, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.