The Student Room Group

Death Penalty in the UK - What's your view?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mojojojo101
The point in human rights is that no one can take them away from anyone, at any point, for any reason. If you start making divisions on who can and can't have rights then you might as well scrap the whole concept.

On Topic: No. Not under any circumstance. Ever.

Imprisoning them already is taking away their freedom of movement. Whether that is a human right is debatable because, well, in all reality human rights are socially constructed and fluid.
Reply 61
No. The death penalty is barbaric and inhumane. With the exception or war, the state should never have the right to kill citizens.
Original post by clh_hilary
Imprisoning them already is taking away their freedom of movement. Whether that is a human right is debatable because, well, in all reality human rights are socially constructed and fluid.

Imprisonment doesn't break a persons human rights. Your rights protect you from 'arbitrary arrest, detention and exile'.
Reply 63
I don't think we should have the death penalty.

Lots of reasons - I think it's very difficult to be 100% certain of a person's guilt. The death penalty is not a deterrent. I think it's backward thinking & I like to think of English people as innovators. I think death is an easy way out & a better punishment would be solitary confinement with just a bed and a toilet - I think that would provide more justice to the victims, knowing they will go crazy with boredom/loneliness/confinement.
Reply 64
I keep flip-flopping on this question.

I would like to see it brought back for the most serious crims. Those locked up want the death penalty, need to carry it themselves in private.

That would make it interesting i think.
I disagree with the death penalty. If people commit a serious enough crime they should have to pay for it. Giving them a way out does not do any good. They should be faced with what they have done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending