Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

losing weight by smoking

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll be extremely attractive once you're skinny, and smell of smoke and have yellow teeth.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Smoking doesn't help you lose weight in all honesty, from personal experience. It burns extra calories, around 200-300 for the average smoker, by artificially boosting you metabolic system and suppressing your appetite, but if you go for a three mile walk you can burn just as many calories and not risk damaging your health. The real problem with smoking is when you quit, and you start gaining weight sometimes significantly. Altogether I would not recommend smoking for weight loss.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Smoking doesn't help you lose weight in all honesty, from personal experience. It burns extra calories, around 200-300 for the average smoker, by artificially boosting you metabolic system and suppressing your appetite, but if you go for a three mile walk you can burn just as many calories and not risk damaging your health. The real problem with smoking is when you quit, and you start gaining weight sometimes significantly. Altogether I would not recommend smoking for weight loss.
    How common is that then? Does it happen to everyone who quits?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    smoking actually fills your appetite so you dont lose weight via smoking, you just dont feel hungry. no point doing it really though because if you lose weight rapidly you dont end up maintaining it, so id recommend just doing exercise or say just walking to the next bus stop and simple things like that
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naive9910)
    Hi

Can someone please tell me if it’s possible to lose weight by smoking?
    Please do not leave any rude comments. Am not a troll but simply asking legitimate question.
    I know few girls who smoke have very beautiful figure.

Thank you
    Yeah I heard something about it stopping you feeling hungry I think. Thats why so many models smoke! It's a very unattractive habit though, and it's obviously not a sure-fire way of making you thinner...so is it worth it? :/
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    How do you know you won't become addicted to smoke and struggle to stop?
    Exactly this!!.I smoked for over 20 years ( although not both times when I was pregnant) and tried 3 times to stop.I managed it last May, went cold turkey and havent had one since.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you know you won't become addicted to smoke and struggle to stop?
    I don't know but i think i trust myself and i would be able to quit it. Am saying this now but i really don't know to be honest.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me if it’s possible to lose weight by smoking?
    It is possible but not advisable.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Exactly this!!.I smoked for over 20 years ( although not both times when I was pregnant) and tried 3 times to stop.I managed it last May, went cold turkey and havent had one since.
    congrats
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    i smoke and i eat like ive never eat before...:confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Although it's possible that smoking will suppress appetite, there are still many overweight people who smoke and indulge in food.

I was skinny when I started smoking, then gave up and put on two stone, then started smoking again anyway.

I gave up and lost the weight by a sensible diet and exercise. I guess my advice is don't bother starting to smoke simply because you want to lose weight as it's a distinct possibility that you may well just start smoking on top of eating anyway which is would make taking up a terrible habit totally pointless anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed that you would even consider that a sensible option to be honest :confused:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    But ive put wieght on since i stopped smoking the herb.. and thats a good thing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is not going to make you loose weight.
    Smoking might make you gain weight once you stop it, for some people try to mask the urge of smoking a cig, after they stopped, with a substitute, hence the food.

So, overall, it wouldn`t get you anywhere. Aside from gaining an addiction and getting your health all ****ed up, you know (I`m a smoker myself, for quite some years now, wanted to stop several times but didn`t really make it - ask any smoker and he would just shake his head in awe for such a ridiculous idea as starting to smoke in order to loose weight).

Aside from the fact that you`re not overweight in any aspect, try a diet or sports or something if you really wanna loose weight.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Well done My dad smoked for about 25 years and it took 2 attempts to stop completely.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whether it helps you loose weight or not is kinda silly. It makes you look worse. I can tell someone who's smoked for a while from someone who hasn't most of the time: The smokers just look worse, even if they have a nice figure.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well done My dad smoked for about 25 years and it took 2 attempts to stop completely.

(Original post by tehforum)
    congrats

Thanks Guys
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    well I would stop smoking once i lose weight with it, and then I would maintain that figure by going on healthy diet and alot of exercises. The reason why i dont do exercise now is simply because i dont get time to do it.
    You don't have to do 2 hours of hardcore working out 7 times a week to lose enough weight.
    Just 30 minutes of cardio 3 or 4 times a week can make all the difference

There's a very high chance that you'll put all the weight back on once you quit smoking... provided that you CAN quit. It's easier said than done.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There are many much better ways to lose weight, such as eating a healthier diet or taking more exercise. Smoking is expensive and is very damaging to your health, people who smoke in their teens/early twenties may look good now, but when the effects of long-term smoking take their toll, they won't look good any more. Not worth taking up a bad habit to lose a bit of weight.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Like previous comments, there are cheaper and less moronic ways to lose weight, you have the internet at your fingertips, this forum itself is full of useful information on the matter and people who will happily share there experience and give good fitness advice. Failing that, do a google search. There is so much good free advice out there that I fail to understand how you have come to the conclusion that smoking=weight loss=pretty. Wrong on so many levels.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 22, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.