Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

losing weight by smoking

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The years you add to your life by being a healthy weight, you drastically cut by smoking. Just weigh up the pros vs the cons..use your common sense for goodness sake. I'd rather be a little overweight than be skinny but with awful skin, bad teeth and a smoker's cough. As you can tell I'm completely against smoking and using it to lose weight is even worse. You might as well be throwing money into your own grave.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naive9910)
    Simply because i don't like the way i am. I want to be really skinny and even though my weight is average (weight: 54kg Height: 5.2ft), but i still feel that am not as thin as my friends.
    Rather than risking your life, why not join a slimming group such as Slimming World. If your that desperate to loose weight, you'll do it.

But really, your not even big. I have friends twice your size.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Can someone please tell me if it’s possible to lose weight by smoking?
    Please do not leave any rude comments. Am not a troll but simply asking legitimate question.
    I know few girls who smoke have very beautiful figure.

Thank you
    I believe you can lose a substantial weight if you let the tumour grow large enough before you have it cut out.

Obesity isn't great, smoking is worse, and smelling like an ashtray isn't brilliant either. Just eat sensibly and hit the gym.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Meth is a far better weight reduction idea.

Far faster results!

Seriously, meth...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Meth is a far better weight reduction idea.

Far faster results!

Seriously, meth...
    its highly addictive though and it has terrible side-effects as well including heart-attack. Am not taking that. no way
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't be daft - you'll just end up with a whole new batch of problems
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    its highly addictive though and it has terrible side-effects as well including heart-attack. Am not taking that. no way
    The same could be said about smoking. A relative of mine used to smoke and ended up with 2 types of cancer. He is now unable to eat certain food due to the cancer.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Please do not leave any rude comments. Am not a troll but simply asking legitimate question.

Thank you

Smoking to loose weight is like Cutting your head off to cure a head cold!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:

Um I think you may have the beggining of an eating disorder, like anorexia, please there is NOTHING wrong with being a healthy weight, you will live much longer like that, than even trying to loose weight, as for smoking, you are going to cut 20 years off your life, end up with a mouth full of decyaing teeth, lungs that look like chunks of coal, and at risk of heart disease cancer and other rather unpleasant terminal illneses.

Do NOTHING, be happy the way you are.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thank you
    I know you said to not be rude, but the fact that your username is 'Naive9910' says a lot...

Why not try diet and exercise? I know they can be tough but they are good for your short and long term health, as well as your weight.

As most people have said, while it may be true that smoking can cause you to lose weight, it also causes you to gain: lung cancer, throat cancer, mouth cancer, liver cancer, cervical cancer, stomach cancer, bronchitis, emphysema, heart disease, vitamin deficiency, infertility, reduction in bone density, and so on...

The list of negatives is endless!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thank you
    I've been smoking on and off for a couple of years.
    Due to the combined influence of my BMI, height, activity level and gender - my weight when NOT smoking was around 12 stone.
    My weight when I was smoking between 10-20 cigs a day was sometimes as low as 10 stone.

One thing I've noticed about girls is that some of them seem to have strange standards regarding a "beautiful figure". It seems that skinnier = better. Whilst I agree that girls who are slim DO look quite athletic, there's more to overall beauty than being skinny.
    And I'm quite sure that, by skinny, they actually mean "toned". As in the body they desire is low bodyfat percentage, which is not the same as "skinny".

And you can't tone-up by smoking. You will lose weight but that's not to say you would have a beautiful figure. And that's not even touching on the fact that it takes sparkle out of your eyes, seems to dull skin, make you paler and darken teeth.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    well I would stop smoking once i lose weight with it, and then I would maintain that figure by going on healthy diet and alot of exercises. The reason why i dont do exercise now is simply because i dont get time to do it.
    Smoking is addictive; it's not easy to just stop smoking when you want.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    technically yes it could because smoking can inhibit appetite...but... thats not a given rule and the cons definately outway the positives... like setting your money on fire, bad skin, bad teeth (discolouration), it can discolour nails, people who smoke smell *sorry*, poor health ...cancer :|... death :|!

any habit can be replaced with another, i stopped biting my nails started playing with my hair and *hangs head in shame* picking scabs (im a classy lass ..).... but smoking is an addiction not a habbit... its much easier to start and much harder to stop

x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thank you
    Yeah, smoking stops hunger pangs. It isn't worth taking up for this reason though, I mean so does caffeine. Instead of a fag have a cup of coffee
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't really lose weight when you start, but you gain it if you manage to stop..
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you may achieve a beautiful figure, but think about the blackened lungs you will also aquire. :shudder:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only skinny people that smoke that I actually know are skinny because they can't afford food from spending too much on fags.
    If you were to lose weight from smoking though, any positive outcomes would be totally outweighed by the detrimental effects to your health and possibilities of lung cancer and such like.
    My nanny is a heavy smoker and she is, how to say, quite hefty... So it's obviously not going to work for everyone even if it does for some.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    - Terrible breath
    - Yellow teeth and nails
    - Various types of cancer

Just some effects of smoking (obviously not from one fag but from heavier smoking) Please don't ruin your health just to be as thinner.

If you're really unhappy with how you look, exercise will help you lose weight AND keep you healthy. Don't say you don't have the time either, because in the time spent smoking you could easily go for short walks, do simple home exercises etc etc. Good luck
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This thread is so stupid it hurts.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you love hospitals, chemo therapy and cancer go for it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 22, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.