The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Never experienced racism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Llamageddon
I actually did live in bethnal green for a year whilst at UCL. I've been down roads where I was the only white man. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen I'm saying that it is exaggerated as a problem when people compare it to racism against minorities.
I'm curious as to why you think this is anything other than a rubbish analogy.
White anglo-saxon protestant.

As in, your perception of the prevalence of anti-white racism is going to be different from someone that suffers from it.

I don't see how it's exaggerated tbh. I've never seen an anti-white murder in a newspaper, at all.

How can you tell from looking at someone if they are anglo-saxon or a protestant?!
Original post by Bonged.
As in, your perception of the prevalence of anti-white racism is going to be different from someone that suffers from it.No doubt. The issue here is that racists make trumped up comments about how anti-white racism is some widespread activity in a desperate plea to justify their own opinions. I think it's a fairly safe assumption to make that when a persons opinions on the activities of a social/ethnic/religious group are extremely exaggerated, it is such because the person is prejudiced against them, regardless of whether there is an element of truth in said persons reasoning.
Reply 42
No doubt. The issue here is that racists make trumped up comments about how anti-white racism is some widespread activity in a desperate plea to justify their own opinions. I think it's a fairly safe assumption to make that when a persons opinions on the activities of a social/ethnic/religious group are extremely exaggerated, it is such because the person is prejudiced against them, regardless of whether there is an element of truth in said persons reasoning.

Isn't there a danger of failing to differentiate between people who have had these experiences and people that jump on the bandwagon?

For instance, after the murder of Kris Donald in Glasgow the BNP tried to use that for their own political ends, that is obviously immoral. But if Kris Donald's mother feels that anti-white racism is a problem, I would say it is simply moronic to call her a racist for feeling that way. Of course if the main parties would condemn these things when they happen then the BNP couldn't fill the gap.
Original post by Bonged.
Isn't there a danger of failing to differentiate between people who have had these experiences and people that jump on the bandwagon?
No. Anti-white racism is not a justification for anti-minority racism regardless of whether or not the individual in question has experienced it.

Vice versa true also.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
No. Anti-white racism is not a justification for anti-minority racism regardless of whether or not the individual in question has experienced it.

Vice versa true also.

How is admitting that anti-white racism exists racist?

No one is arguing otherwise, you've ignored my point. Out of interest, what is the justification for positive discrimination if not that whites were racist in the past?

And answer this point - After the murder of Kris Donald in Glasgow the BNP tried to use that for their own political ends, that is obviously immoral. But if Kris Donald's mother feels that anti-white racism is a problem, I would say it is simply moronic to call her a racist for feeling that way. Of course if the main parties would condemn these things when they happen then the BNP couldn't fill the gap.

So... in this scenario is Kris Donald's mum a racist for being concerned about anti-white racism after her son was burned alive for being white?

Just throwing your toys out of the pram and implying racism when you hear facts you don't like, really doesn't cut it anymore.

We're meant to be educated people, debate if you have a valid contribution, otherwise why not keep unfounded accusations of racism to pms.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't think having a particular sensitivity to racism makes you more prone to it.
I've experienced racism, (I'm a white British female). I was quite shocked, it was something I wasn't expecting as race is something I tend not to think about. As far as I'm concerned all people are the same regardless of age, sex, race, religion, disability, etc. We are still all people :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Picture~Perfect
I don't think having a particular sensitivity to racism makes you more prone to it.
I've experienced racism, (I'm a white British female). I was quite shocked, it was something I wasn't expecting as race is something I tend not to think about. As far as I'm concerned all people are the same regardless of age, sex, race, religion, disability, etc. We are still all people :smile:

Was that in Scotland?
Original post by Bonged.
Was that in Scotland?

No it wasn't, actually it was during a month volunteer programme out in Ghana.
Original post by Bonged.
How can you tell from looking at someone if they are anglo-saxon or a protestant?!
The WASP phrase is essentially a slang phrase for white British people, or American if the country concerned is them. It's not a historically correct way to address white British people anyway. If people mean British white people, they should just say so. I probably have more in common with the Normans than the Anglosaxons due to maternal ancestry ties. No idea if I've experienced racism. Couldn't make out the body language from an onlooking black guy in Reading when I was with my black girlfriend since he was across the road and I was moving away from him. Either that or it's the first time he's seen a black girl with a white guy. :awesome:
Reply 49
Polish people, working in a factory in UK, hated me because I am a Lithuanian. Wtf.
Reply 50
Don't take this too serious. They don't like me either, this is not because of your ethnicity. Unfortunately quiet lot people from my country have lack of ambition and they're just jealous that some progressing an education. I live with my girlfriend and we avoiding meeting any middle-european people, it's not only lack of ambition but tolerance, behaviour and agression towards other nation too. And is't not only Polish do that, please don't label us as a whole... :smile:
Reply 51
Same here, I'm a black girl and I haven't experienced racism either.
Reply 52
Original post by erkanull
Don't take this too serious. They don't like me either, this is not because of your ethnicity. Unfortunately quiet lot people from my country have lack of ambition and they're just jealous that some progressing an education. I live with my girlfriend and we avoiding meeting any middle-european people, it's not only lack of ambition but tolerance, behaviour and agression towards other nation too. And is't not only Polish do that, please don't label us as a whole... :smile:

So I was just saying the situation I was in. I am not saying that every Polish person is like that. I am saying that all the Polish people where I worked were disrespectful towards Lithuanians. What, do I have to tell each of their names now? :biggrin:
I know how middle-European people are and I, too, try my best to avoid the majority of them.
Reply 53
So we have something in common. What are you study?
It wasn't until I was about 10 years old that I understood racism really existed. I'm white and grew up in Britain, in an area in Leicestershire with very mixed cultures. My primary school celebrated Christmas, Diwali and Ramadan with equal favour and gusto. And to my young mind, each was a happy occasion which often resulted in tasty free food to eat! Friends and people were just that, they may have a different skin colour or have a name that's harder to spell, but that's it. They lived on my street and we all played together.

The first time I saw racism was when a random kid told a friend of mine, of Indian descent, to 'go back home'. And I just thought 'but he's older than me, he's lived here longer than I have!'. It's baffled me ever since.

Maybe I was lucky?
Reply 55
Original post by dgeorge
It just REALLY annoys me when people think that somehow it doesn't exist and that if we just bury it/stop talking about it it would somehow go away

Reply 56
Original post by tite23

Yeah that REALLY annoys me
Reply 57
Original post by dgeorge
Yeah that REALLY annoys me

I find that interesting, how do you propose we end racism?
Reply 58
Original post by tite23
I find that interesting, how do you propose we end racism?

By educating people about the similarities for one, especially those in other countries. Humans tend to value people who look like them, so if you teach them that they are alike, about others values, and how to RESPECT these differences, then I think it becomes less of a problem.

Ignoring a problem NEVER makes things get better - only worse.

PS - I believe that each any any racial group can be/has been victims of racism/racial discrimination. It's not something limited to minorities. I've seen blacks express racist attitudes/beliefs/behaviours against people with of other ethnicities/origins (I use black people cause I come from a black majority country!)

Before nicknick or some other dumb poster comes in with "anti-racism is codeword for anti-white" BS
Reply 59
Original post by dgeorge
By educating people about the similarities for one, especially those in other countries. Humans tend to value people who look like them, so if you teach them that they are alike, about others values, and how to RESPECT these differences, then I think it becomes less of a problem.

Ignoring a problem NEVER makes things get better - only worse.

PS - I believe that each any any racial group can be/has been victims of racism/racial discrimination. It's not something limited to minorities. I've seen blacks express racist attitudes/beliefs/behaviours against people with of other ethnicities/origins (I use black people cause I come from a black majority country!)

Before nicknick or some other dumb poster comes in with "anti-racism is codeword for anti-white" BS

There is something to be said though, about the children who view their friends from all nationalities as just friends who look a little different - because they've never even heard the term "racism".

Racism is dying out as it is. There are only a very few real racists left, and if we stop feeding racism then it will die out. Focus on the solution, not the problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending