(Original post by nicknick1)
Nearly 80% of indigenous British people are descendants of Neolithic era or earlier settlers, with some going back into Upper Palaeolithic times - up to 26,000 or more years ago. Even many of the remaining 20% have been in Britain since the late Neolithic period, with the Anglo-Saxon migrations around 500 AD and at the very latest, the Viking and Danish migrations, around 700 or 800 AD, making them resident here or at least 1300 years. In the 11th century there was the Norman invasion.
The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs defines indigenous people as follows: “indigenous communities, peoples and nations are those which, having a historical continuity with pre-invasion and pre-colonial societies that developed on their territories, consider themselves distinct from other sectors of the societies now prevailing on those territories, or parts of them. They form at present non-dominant sectors of society and are determined to preserve, develop and transmit to future generations their ancestral territories, and their ethnic identity, as the basis of their continued existence as peoples, in accordance with their own cultural patterns, social institutions and legal system.
“This historical continuity may consist of the continuation, for an extended period reaching into the present of one or more of the following factors:
a) Occupation of ancestral lands, or at least of part of them;
b) Common ancestry with the original occupants of these lands;
c) Culture in general, or in specific manifestations (such as religion, living under a tribal system, membership of an indigenous community, dress, means of livelihood, lifestyle, etc.);
d) Language (whether used as the only language, as mother-tongue, as the habitual means of communication at home or in the family, or as the main, preferred, habitual, general or normal language);
e) Residence on certain parts of the country, or in certain regions of the world;
f) Other relevant factors.