Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No game seems to recognise my PC's specs...grr

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I recently got a brand new laptop- 6GB RAM, 3GB Video card, 2.5 (turbo boost to 3.1) GHz i5 core processor, and every game I try on it seems to think the highest settings it can manage are medium. I've worked out how to fix GTA IV (by adding the commandline.txt file) but I can't work out how to fix Empire:Total War or Arma II and it's annoying the hell out of me- My PC should be able to manage these games surely? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    What video card is it? The rest of the spec sounds good, but just because it is a 3GB graphics card, it's not necessarily a powerful one. Although if it really is 3GB and that's not shared with the rest of the system (some laptop GPUs do this), then it probably is quite good.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    gta iv for pc is one of the worst ports in hisotry, i have a gaming desktop which struggles to keep it above 30 fps on max @ 1080p, couldnt be bothered to fix settings with txt files so uninstalled.

total war is buggy as hell
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    What video card is it? The rest of the spec sounds good, but just because it is a 3GB graphics card, it's not necessarily a powerful one. Although if it really is 3GB and that's not shared with the rest of the system (some laptop GPUs do this), then it probably is quite good.
    It's an Nvidia GeForce GT555m. So it's not even like it's an old video card, which is what's really infuriating.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    3GB of VRam on that card! whhhhy??? that is an insane amount of VRam to have on a GT440 in drag!

seriously - medium is the best you can hope for with that card.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does the card have NVIDIA Optimus? Could be your issue.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Does the card have NVIDIA Optimus? Could be your issue.
    I don't think so, how would I check?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    3GB of VRam on that card! whhhhy??? that is an insane amount of VRam to have on a GT440 in drag!

Well it runs GTA IV on max settings absolutely fine once you fix the issue gta iv apparently has with windows 7, and having just installed COH on it it runs that fine on max settings too. It just seems with some games it doesn't work- I'm part wondering whether this is an issue with Windows 7 instead of with the PC though?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)

If you are playing Crysis, Metro 2033 or BF3 maybe. I have that card and Skyrim is perfectly playable on max
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    If you are playing Crysis, Metro 2033 or BF3 maybe. I have that card and Skyrim is perfectly playable on max
    On a piss poor resolution with no anti-aliasing ?

I've a GTX 560Ti and GTA4 will not play at 60fps at 1440 x 900.
    So a far weaker mobile chip will certainly not be nearly as powerful as you claim it is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1600x900 and 4xAA, FPS constantly in the 30s.

As for GTA, it is a terrible console port. If you don't have a quad core, it will run terribly whatever graphics card you have. If you do, a GT555M is good enough.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Kid)

So a far weaker mobile chip will certainly not be nearly as powerful as you claim it is.
    What processor do you have though? As I said above I fixed GTA IV at least so it plays completely smoothly on max graphics at res 1600x900.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    one reason why i stopped playing games. No specs seem to be enough for today's games and im tired of spending money on my pc.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    one reason why i stopped playing games. No specs seem to be enough for today's games and im tired of spending money on my pc.
    Er, what? My desktop cost me about £400 three years ago and it has absolutely no problems running most games (there are obvious games that it has problems with such as Crysis, but the vast majority of my games collection will run absolutely fine at 1680x1050 with max graphics)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    It's an Nvidia GeForce GT555m. So it's not even like it's an old video card, which is what's really infuriating.
    GeForce 8800 GTS territory. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/vi...eForce+GT+555M
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    What processor do you have though? As I said above I fixed GTA IV at least so it plays completely smoothly on max graphics at res 1600x900.
    Phenom II X4 940 OC to 3.6Ghz
    Are you actually measuring your FPS? Because I am, and I seriously doubt you will be getting anywhere near to 60 fps avg:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,7...views/?page=11

You're not close to running a GTX470.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even if it does recognise your specs you shouldn't be playing on its 'optimised' setting as it's usually dreadful and either a gross underestimation or over-estimation of what your system can handle. Besides, it takes about 20 seconds to change the options.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Go and stick the game you want to run in here:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

See if that reads any problems with your system and let us know the result.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    Well you're completely incorrect.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Kid)

Try overclocking it a little, I'm able to run GTAIV at 1920x1080 at 55 FPS on my 560Ti

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 21, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.