The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Strategic Management Case Study Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Emy25
I'm struggling to grasp the idea of structure in my essays..what is the best way to structure these sort of essays that we will get in the exam????
..ive got the knowledge its just that i dont know how to start and to keep it consistent x
e.g.
intro including a Definition e.g. what is diversification? or what is a stakeholder and define it
point 1
point 2
point 3
point 4
point 5
conclusion- do you state which option is the best here?
this is in terms of a 20 marker
within making the points what do i include?
e.g. Point 1- refer to the case study material, state your point, the implication/effect it has on SLSL whether it be short term long term, positive or negative, how SLSL will respond (if making a decision) is it feasible etc.
I REALLY NEED HELP so i'll be most grateful if anyone could respond to this :smile:
thanks in advance.

We had recently just asked our teacher the best way to write these essay questions. Suppose your question is:

Evaluate the change in the fee structure of SLSL.

Paragraph 1
Firstly, Explain what the proposed change is?

Paragraph2
Why, SLSL wants to implement it. Use data from the case study to support this, such as their strategic objective of 4%, or how their sales are low.

Paragraph 3
Evaluate the benefits and problems of the change to SLSL. - they may lose their competitive edge, and customers may go to their competitors (seeing as barriers to entry is low, estate agents come into the market easily).

Paragraph 4
Evaluate the benefits and problems to staff. - the 20% upfront fee does not benefit rather they may lose onto their commission if customers decide to go to SLSL's competitors.

Paragraph 5
Conclude why they should or should not implement the change and why.

Obviously, it does not have to be the exact way, but hope you get the overall picture on how to structure the answers. Because at this point in stage, you should not worry about defining the terminology in your answers, because it should be a given that you and the examiner knows what it means. Take time on your main points and evidence rather.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by Moyosola
This is my first attempt at a response to Question 10 in the revision pack which is about the macroeconomic influences that will affect SLSL's ability to achieve its revenue objective.

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/discuss_how_changes_in_macroeconomic_factors_might_affect_the_ability_of_slsl_to_achieve_its_revenue_objective

u waffle big time in ure answers
what grade did u get in these essays?
Reply 102
discuss whether the objective is realistic (18)

yes it is b/c oakford is performeing well

no it is not b/c stamton is not experienvced

ANY TIPS PLEASE
Reply 103
what market research is needed into market harworth
Reply 104
@Maheen17
@Moyosola

Thank you very much for your help i really appreciate it guys :smile:
i've just received an APT guide so i can send it to anyone who needs it by email if you PM me your email address.

I'm currently writing up an answer for the question: Evaluate the option of diversifying into lettings management for SLSL
if anyone has answered this question does anyone have any key points to raise for this particular question :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by Emy25
@Maheen17
@Moyosola

i've just received an APT guide so i can send it to anyone who needs it by email if you PM me your email address.

I'm currently writing up an answer for the question: Evaluate the option of diversifying into lettings management for SLSL
if anyone has answered this question does anyone have any key points to raise for this particular question :smile:

upload it on the ger revising.com website
Reply 106
If anyone has the APT revision pack, you should check Question 18 (The critical path one).
Try to complete it and see if you can determine a critical path.
Reply 107
Original post by Emy25
@Maheen17
@Moyosola

I'm currently on the Fee Structure one, but I'll do this next and let you know.
Reply 108
Hey has anyone got any model answers or help on how to answer the following questions:

"Discuss how changes in macroeconomic factors might affect the strategic behaviour of SLSL?"
"Discuss how the strategic direction of SLSL might be affected by the opening of another estate agency in Stamton?"

I've been getting a bit confused over the differences between strategic management, strategic behaviour and strategic direction... do they all mean the same thing in terms of strategic management? Or are they different? :s-smilie: Thanks!
Reply 109
Original post by oli_042
Hey has anyone got any model answers or help on how to answer the following questions:

"Discuss how changes in macroeconomic factors might affect the strategic behaviour of SLSL?"
"Discuss how the strategic direction of SLSL might be affected by the opening of another estate agency in Stamton?"

I've been getting a bit confused over the differences between strategic management, strategic behaviour and strategic direction... do they all mean the same thing in terms of strategic management? Or are they different? :s-smilie: Thanks!

I think they all mean the same thing, just as long as "strategic" is in the question. By "strategic", we know that they are talking about the long-term options SLSL is considering, those will be:
- Moving into Market Harworth as a fourth branch or replacement.
- Moving away from the high street to become an online only estate agent, and
- Diversifying into lettings management.

For "Discuss how changes in macroeconomic factors might affect the strategic behaviour of SLSL?", I think you'll be looking at issues regarding the state of the economy (boom or downturn in the housing/lettings market - so in terms of diversifying into Lettings Management, you might be looking at issues surrounding a downturn in the lettings market, so if there is a predicted downturn, it may not advisable for SLSL to diversify, therefore they might need to look into other options to increase their revenue, etc.. And also issues like lower unemployment, so people's security level in their jobs might cause them to be willing to spend more money, so they might be able to afford the deposit required to obtain mortgages - the effect of this may be that the housing market will see a rise, so SLSL's revenue might increase).

For "Discuss how the strategic direction of SLSL might be affected by the opening of another estate agency in Stamton?", if another estate agency opens in Stamton, SLSL's competition will be increased, so you might have to discuss possible issues that may arise with this, etc.

Hope this makes sense.
Reply 110
Original post by Moyosola
I think they all mean the same thing, just as long as "strategic" is in the question. By "strategic", we know that they are talking about the long-term options SLSL is considering, those will be:
- Moving into Market Harworth as a fourth branch or replacement.
- Moving away from the high street to become an online only estate agent, and
- Diversifying into lettings management.

For "Discuss how changes in macroeconomic factors might affect the strategic behaviour of SLSL?", I think you'll be looking at issues regarding the state of the economy (boom or downturn in the housing/lettings market - so in terms of diversifying into Lettings Management, you might be looking at issues surrounding a downturn in the lettings market, so if there is a predicted downturn, it may not advisable for SLSL to diversify, therefore they might need to look into other options to increase their revenue, etc.. And also issues like lower unemployment, so people's security level in their jobs might cause them to be willing to spend more money, so they might be able to afford the deposit required to obtain mortgages - the effect of this may be that the housing market will see a rise, so SLSL's revenue might increase).

For "Discuss how the strategic direction of SLSL might be affected by the opening of another estate agency in Stamton?", if another estate agency opens in Stamton, SLSL's competition will be increased, so you might have to discuss possible issues that may arise with this, etc.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks a lot! That really does help!
Reply 111
hey

does anyone if the apt notes critical path analysis is right because zig-zag resources have a different answers.

does anyone know which one the correct one is?

thank you
Reply 112
Hi.

Is there any chance anyone can tell me what the correct answers for the critical path analysis in SLSL?

confused!!!

thanks
Reply 113
Original post by ameena.milly
Hi.

Is there any chance anyone can tell me what the correct answers for the critical path analysis in SLSL?

confused!!!

thanks

142lft
142est
Reply 114
hey

does anyone if the apt notes critical path analysis is right because zig-zag resources have a different answers.

does anyone know which one the correct one is?

thank you

Zig Zag are wrong. Stick with APT, its definitely the best pack out the bunch. :smile:
Reply 115
Original post by mindblock
Zig Zag are wrong. Stick with APT, its definitely the best pack out the bunch. :smile:

ok thanks
Reply 116
Original post by wwelol
142lft
142est

ok thank you
Reply 117
Original post by mindblock

Do you have the apt notes ? Our tutor has got the zig zag notes... Very dissapointing!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 118
Hi.
I am doing f297 as an external candidate. I have got the Apt notes and that is ALL I am revising from.

Is there any thing else I should be using?

If anyone has got an materials they can send me I would be really grateful

Thank you

Reply 119
Hi.
I am doing f297 as an external candidate. I have got the Apt notes and that is ALL I am revising from.

Is there any thing else I should be using?

If anyone has got an materials they can send me I would be really grateful

Thank you

maybe look at interest rates etc
that defo will come up it stands out

and can u help me
on the descion to open market harworth what market research should they collect?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending