The Student Room Group

Engineering Labs

Kinda late but, meh.
Hopeful engineering applicant for the near future.

I have heard that if you fail a module you don't necessarily fail the whole course and you can retake the module at a later time.
I have also heard that if you fail a lab you have to retake the whole year. This is really worrying as from what I can tell, engineers have a lab every two weeks or so.
Is it true, do you have to retake the whole year??
And also, what exactly do you do in labs?? How long are your lab report?? And how hard are labs anyway??
Reply 1
bump to the beat.
Reply 2
Things like that are going to be entirely down to the University's individual policy on degree progression... and it will probably vary within University deparments and may well vary degree by degree.

From my own experience of Aeronautical Engineering at Glasgow:

1) If you fail a module, there is a resit in August. If you fail the resit, you may be allowed to retake the module again the following year in parallel with your new subjects without failing the whole year, but depending on the importance of the subject and how many modules you fail, you may be stopped from progressing to the next year until you pass those modules.

2) We didn't have any graded labs. We did labs, and sometimes we had to write lab reports based on those labs which contributed towards your final mark in the module. In some modules it was not necessary to complete this to pass the module, and in other modules it was.

3) Labs vary by subject. In labs for thermodynamics and propulsion we ran experiments with propeller engines and jet engines in the wind tunnels. In aerodynamics we did experiments with wings in the wind tunnels, as well as other fluid experiments. In design labs we designed and built prototypes of our designs. In dynamics/statics/structures labs we analysed and conducted experiments with dynamical systems, structures, aircraft components, etc. In electronics labs we built and tested analogue and digital electrical circuits, as well as designing them using circuit board design software. In MATLAB labs, we learned how to model systems in MATLAB. In CFD labs we learned how to use fluid dynamics modelling software packages like Numeca.

But, really, all of this information is useless to you unless you're doing the same specific degree course at the same university. And even then, I gather that things will probably have changed at Glasgow since I graduated (in fact, I'm sure they have).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by oo00oo
Things like that are going to be entirely down to the University's individual policy on degree progression... and it will probably vary within University deparments and may well vary degree by degree.

From my own experience of Aeronautical Engineering at Glasgow:

1) If you fail a module, there is a resit in August. If you fail the resit, you may be allowed to retake the module again the following year in parallel with your new subjects without failing the whole year, but depending on the importance of the subject and how many modules you fail, you may be stopped from progressing to the next year until you pass those modules.

2) We didn't have any graded labs. We did labs, and sometimes we had to write lab reports based on those labs which contributed towards your final mark in the module. In some modules it was not necessary to complete this to pass the module, and in other modules it was.

3) Labs vary by subject. In labs for thermodynamics and propulsion we ran experiments with propeller engines and jet engines in the wind tunnels. In aerodynamics we did experiments with wings in the wind tunnels, as well as other fluid experiments. In design labs we designed and built prototypes of our designs. In dynamics/statics/structures labs we analysed and conducted experiments with dynamical systems, structures, aircraft components, etc. In electronics labs we built and tested analogue and digital electrical circuits, as well as designing them using circuit board design software. In MATLAB labs, we learned how to model systems in MATLAB. In CFD labs we learned how to use fluid dynamics modelling software packages like Numeca.

But, really, all of this information is useless to you unless you're doing the same specific degree course at the same university. And even then, I gather that things will probably have changed at Glasgow since I graduated (in fact, I'm sure they have).

No, you're wrong. This is quite useful.
You're right about changes and every school being different, I thought as much.
I hoped that more people might have replied and given me a broader view.

Thanks for the answer anyway.
did you do any relevant extra curricular stuff before you started your degree?? And if you did, what was it.
I'm first year sixth form by the way.
Reply 4
Original post by VictorDeLost
No, you're wrong. This is quite useful.
You're right about changes and every school being different, I thought as much.
I hoped that more people might have replied and given me a broader view.

Thanks for the answer anyway.
did you do any relevant extra curricular stuff before you started your degree?? And if you did, what was it.
I'm first year sixth form by the way.

No, I didn't. In fact, I never even applied to my degree... I applied for many varieties of physics/maths/computing science, but when my high school grades came through I done better than I thought and I called up the the University to see if they'd let me switch to Aeronautical Engineering, and they duely obliged.

I'm now doing a PhD in the field.
Reply 5
Chances are if you search the department website for your chosen faculty, you will find some documentation/guidelines related to degree progression policy.
Kinda late but, meh.

I have heard that if you fail a module you don't necessarily fail the whole course and you can retake the module at a later time.
I have also heard that if you fail a lab you have to retake the whole year. This is really worrying as from what I can tell, engineers have a lab every two weeks or so.
And also, what exactly do you do in labs?? How long are your lab report?? And how hard are labs anyway??

At least in Imperial, if you fail any piece of your coursework (even insignificant one) you are in big trouble
Kinda late but, meh.

In Oxford we have 5 hours of labs each week, they are marked out of 5 with most people receiving a 4 if you get 4s all year that equates to a 1st class in practical. You can loose marks quite rapidly for being late but I haven't seen it happen. To fail labs you would have to get a pretty low score repeatedly because it is done my the sum of all your grades. Very rarely do people get 3s so I can't see anyone failing other than by not turning up.
Reply 8
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
At least in Imperial, if you fail any piece of your coursework (even insignificant one) you are in big trouble

That's bad news seeing as imperial is somewhere I would like to go.

Quick Reply

Latest