The Student Room Group

German Speaking GCSE - How do I remember it?

Hi :smile:

Tomorrow morning I have my second (out of three) German speaking GCSE, and I'm not that good at them (on the last one I got an F) because I cannot remember it.

Lately I have been quite ill, and my teacher said it doesn't matter how I do. I got a D overall on my mocks, because my F lowered it down from a C.

I know it's late as I only have a day to learn it, but any tips would be appreciated :smile:

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 1
My German GCSE speaking was 18 pages long. That was a few years ago now - I had to learn an essay and then I had pages and pages of questions on 6 topics and I was asked questions on 3 of them.

I learnt it all off by heart just by reading it through and saying it to myself. Saying it in a rhythm helps, as does recording yourself. I read it through so much that I could see the words on the page in my head. I learnt another 18 pages of French as well so believe me, it's possible!

Even though you've only got a day, you could still give it your best shot - maybe just learn the key points for each question? Put them in a spider diagram and colour code them. Good luck!
My housemate did her GCSE German speaking test last week (?) and she said she got an A for it.
She is also currently tutoring one of her classmates at our home after school (well the girls spend most of the time laughing and giggling though )
I guess this is how she does her revision:-
1. she records herself and listen to it before bed
2. she reads a German dictionary in the toilet (we share the same toilet)
3. when she sees/thinks of something, she asks herself what that is in German (her mum did German A-level agesss ago so she might be able to help a bit)
:tongue:
Reply 3
Wow! I'm lucky mine is only 2 pages long :biggrin:
I put the key words of the paragraph I'm working on onto post it notes and then jumbled them and sorted them out into the right order, which really helped :smile:

I only have 2 paragraphs left, then I will just keep going over it :smile:

Thanks for the help! :biggrin:
Reply 4
@ray_charlene sorry, I only just saw your post!
I might record myself tonight, I can also listen to it when I wake up to refresh my memory :biggrin:
Thank you so much :biggrin:
Reply 5
Just a little update :biggrin:
My teacher obviously can't give me a mark now, as another person has to mark it etc, but he said I did a little better than before :biggrin: Probably an E or D, but I don't mind :smile:
Thanks for the tips, they really helped :biggrin:
Reply 6
I just read it all over and over again until it was in my head and just slipped off my tongue without even thinking about it. Doesn't even have to sound spontaneous for GCSE. I got an A* in the speaking exam. Good luck with your others.
There are loads and loads of ways of remembering your German exams for example:
You could just learn a sentence at a time and join them up together.
You could record yourself and listen to it whenever you can
My parents said that when you wake up in the morning, that's when your brain is most FRESH so it's better to have a quick skim over it every morning just to give it a little help
There's these things called word fills and they are really good to use. Basically you draw lines instead of words. If there's a word you constantly get stuck on then fill it in on the line. Just try not to use too many at once. Soon you'll know them well enough so you won't have to use a word fill 😊💖

Hope this helped and good luck 💚
Original post by rachel.h
My German GCSE speaking was 18 pages long. That was a few years ago now - I had to learn an essay and then I had pages and pages of questions on 6 topics and I was asked questions on 3 of them.

I learnt it all off by heart just by reading it through and saying it to myself. Saying it in a rhythm helps, as does recording yourself. I read it through so much that I could see the words on the page in my head. I learnt another 18 pages of French as well so believe me, it's possible!

Even though you've only got a day, you could still give it your best shot - maybe just learn the key points for each question? Put them in a spider diagram and colour code them. Good luck!

Just read this and I wouldnt take advice from someone who said it was 18 pages long, mine was 3 pages and I got an A*, however I would recommend listening to it whilst reading.
Original post by Michael McP
Just read this and I wouldnt take advice from someone who said it was 18 pages long, mine was 3 pages and I got an A*, however I would recommend listening to it whilst reading.

Lol.

I also got an A* and I'm now a Modern Foreign Languages teacher.

That was the way the course was when I did mine. I mention it here just to show the OP it is possible to learn what looks to be impossible.
Hi I could do with some help I have a German GCSE speaking exam in two days I know 2 out of the 6 questions but feel like giving up any advice because all of the others are longer 😬🇩🇪
wow

mines only a page long but we have to sit in a big empty hall own by one to see the German speaking teacher

but the questions are really hard

:frown::smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
what was the advice
i really need advice on how to revise my german exam
Original post by carenzax15

Is this speaking as well? I didn't do German but I did do French.
For speaking tests, I typed out all of my work and in brackets, I wrote down how to pronounce the words my teacher had corrected me on. Then, I learned the first sentence through repetition. I learned the next couple of sentences then recited all of these together. I followed the same process until I could recite the first paragraph. After this, I learned the next paragraph until I could say the first and second from memory and so on. Afterwards, I got someone else to test me. Sometimes, it's good to try writing it out as if it's a writing test to make sure you've remembered it all :smile:

It helps to use colours for each paragraph or for certain bits you struggle on. It all depends on what type of learner you are. Do you know if you learn best visually, by audio or kinaesthetically? Other suggestions could be writing sections of your work onto post it notes or making posters and sticking them up around your room. You could alternatively record yourself or someone else saying your German piece and listen to this over. When do you need to memorise your German for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by carenzax15

Record and listen to yourself responding to the questions (auditory)

Use Different Colors when writing out responses (if you are a visual learner)

Read and Write out your notes Lots of times

Try thinking in German and talking with friends so you are more comfortable with your German

Try a song/poem/rap to help make your learning more rhythmic

Highlight 'Trigger Words' that will trigger your memory and allow you to remember whole sentences and paragraphs (works well for me)

Good luck with your German Speaking! :smile:
I have a german speaking tommorow and a french speaking in a few weeks.
i get my friends, parents, siblings who ever i can to test me over and over again (no matter how bored and or frustrated they get XD) it really works as saying it over and over again really helps it stick into your brain. Also just reading your prepared piece (if you get to do one) over and over just before your exam helps too as if your a visual learner you might be able to get a picture in your brain. My final tip would be to highlight key words in the sentence that will make the sentence come out if you blank. And just remember, it will all be okay!!
what i did is cry in a hole because i don't remember german very well so i cried and spent three awkward minutes staring at my teacher while he slowly get more annoyead
You ****ing disgrace
Reply 19
Original post by mattisbadgerman
what i did is cry in a hole because i don't remember german very well so i cried and spent three awkward minutes staring at my teacher while he slowly get more annoyead

well,

you can get better,

revise more,

learn more,

find your forte,

abuse your forte

and why am i structuring my reply like this?

One may ask?

It is cool, I may say

And alas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending