Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NOTTINGHAM - what's there to do there?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Going on a day trip to Nottingham, just wondering what there is to do there?

Not really interested in museums. Planning on looking around the shops, going somewhere nice and in the city centre for dinner. Won't be staying too late, so no clubbing etc. Would like to take a tour if there's one available. Even a nice pub or place to hang out would be appreciated!

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

FYI, not interested in or going to Nottingham to visit either of the universities. Also, we aren't loaded so please keep the suggestions purse-friendly
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Seth Bates - 2 michelin stars, bargain at only a few hundred quid per head, city centre has loads of shops, if it's a nice day, there's Nottingham castle, Wollaton deer park

in terms of normal resteruants, Nottingham has the most per mile than anywhere else in the country (apparantly)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pwn4g3_P13)
    Seth Bates - 2 michelin stars, bargain at only a few hundred quid per head, city centre has loads of shops, if it's a nice day, there's Nottingham castle, Wollaton deer park

in terms of normal resteruants, Nottingham has the most per mile than anywhere else in the country (apparantly)
    I hope the bit about the michelin stars thing is a joke!

Nottingham Castle and the deer park might be interesting, thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Not sure if serious...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umop apisdn)

(Original post by ritchie888)
    Not sure if serious...
    Got the wrong name but yeah, http://www.restaurantsatbains.com/ Sat Bains. If I ever graduate it's where I'm going for it ^^
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got the wrong name but yeah, http://www.restaurantsatbains.com/ Sat Bains. If I ever graduate it's where I'm going for it ^^
    Bargain...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Not sure if serious...

Bargain...
    Considering you could be spending a few grand for like four people at such a restaurant - it is a bargain in comparison!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are caves too which have just been restored. I went before they had this makeover and it was good then, so may be even better now.

There is the National Ice Centre if you were interested in going skating.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    There are caves too which have just been restored. I went before they had this makeover and it was good then, so may be even better now.

There is the National Ice Centre if you were interested in going skating.
    Yeah, that could be fun. My mum's mentioned that before because she's obsessed with Jane Torvil and Christopher Dean.

Any other suggestions?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    See my sig.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why go to Notts when London is only 2 hrs away?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yothi5)
    Why go to Notts when London is only 2 hrs away?
    Trying to get out of London and discover new places around the UK. Kinda know London now off by heart. Hopefully will be heading up to Edinburgh soon, perhaps Cardiff, Bristol and Bath too. I'd like to go to Newcastle and Liverpool at some point as well.

Already been to Brighton, Oxford, Cambridge, Portsmouth, Windsor etc as day trips with the person I'm travelling with. Would be nice to go somewhere different, hence Nottingham

So yeah, any recommendations for NOTTINGHAM would be hugely appreciated. Any markets or chic places?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Bargain...
    Oh for the love of god. You can eat in the kitchen table for 99 pounds per guest. for a 2 michelin starred resteraunt that is exceptionally good value, you could pay 5-6 times that in London and get less. This whole 'spending money on anything non student-y is terrible' thing this forum has really gets annoying
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Going on a day trip to Nottingham, just wondering what there is to do there?

Not really interested in museums. Planning on looking around the shops, going somewhere nice and in the city centre for dinner. Won't be staying too late, so no clubbing etc. Would like to take a tour if there's one available. Even a nice pub or place to hang out would be appreciated!

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

FYI, not interested in or going to Nottingham to visit either of the universities. Also, we aren't loaded so please keep the suggestions purse-friendly
    There's a pub there called Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, apparently it's the oldest in England or the world or something. Part of the walls are like a cave, it's a good pub.

I know you said you're not interested in museums but the Galleries of Justice is really interesting and apparently it's haunted.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The city centre varies from chain stores to the odd interesting independent shop. So there's a nice retro / second-hand place up the hill from the Council House (the square with the fountain is one of the places everyone will be able to direct you to - face the Council House, and go up the left side, past Primark - it's on the left hand side.

Further up that way (turn right when the tram lines go that way) is Nottingham Contemporary art gallery which varies from the good to the pretentious. I think the current exhibition is still on the spaces between Palestine and Israel. Further inside is the miniatures room, with several cabinets with lots of drawers to pull out and look inside.

Move over the hill (I forget what they call the area, but ask for directions to the Broadway cinema) are some more interesting small shops.

For more mainstream shopping, the city was traumatised recently when the owners of one falling down shopping mall (the Broadmarsh) sold out to the owners of the other big one (the Victoria Centre) rather than redeveloping it. As they'd spend the past few years buying up and emptying much of the surrounding area, this came as a blow to the city's ambition to become a 'destination' rather than a bit of a dump with some shining nuggets of goodness...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh for the love of god. You can eat in the kitchen table for 99 pounds per guest. for a 2 michelin starred resteraunt that is exceptionally good value, you could pay 5-6 times that in London and get less. This whole 'spending money on anything non student-y is terrible' thing this forum has really gets annoying
    And this is magical food, yeah? Not food that is exactly the same as another restaurant for quarter of the price? You're eating the finest dodo and giant panda?

No, I didn't think so. It's exactly the same with a fancy name and more effort put into appearance than anything else.

It's just pretentious to fool yourself into thinking you're getting anything better. The chefs are laughing all the way to the bank.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    And this is magical food, yeah? Not food that is exactly the same as another restaurant for quarter of the price? You're eating the finest dodo and giant panda?

No, I didn't think so. It's exactly the same with a fancy name and more effort put into appearance than anything else.

It's just pretentious to fool yourself into thinking you're getting anything better. The chefs are laughing all the way to the bank.
    Yeah mate. billions and billions spent all over the world on going out and enjoying one of lifes great pleasures, but no, you've cracked the code, it's all a lie, they're just reheating mcdonalds burgers :rolleyes:.

Don't bother replying I won't bother reading it
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem is the greatest pub I've ever been to. It's amazing!

Oldest pub in Britain, built into the foundation of the castle, amazing stuff everywhere, oozing with character, beautiful beer, lovely staff, great food.

GO THERE.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I'm from Nottingham and haven't been to many of these places.. *embarrassed*
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah mate. billions and billions spent all over the world on going out and enjoying one of lifes great pleasures, but no, you've cracked the code, it's all a lie, they're just reheating mcdonalds burgers :rolleyes:.

Don't bother replying I won't bother reading it
    I'm going to reply anyway, because we both know you are in fact going to read it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.