The Student Room Group

Exeter or Sussex?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by beansprouts
Do not go to Exeter unless you enjoy seclusion from the rest of civilisation, snobby, uptight students and generally being bored out of your mind. I went there last year and subsequently dropped out - that's how much I hated it :frown: Don't get me wrong the campus is absolutely breathtaking and it has just joined the Russel Group but that's all it has going for it. I turned down Sussex and regret it as friends now go there and love it!

Ahhh when I went there it was such a gorgeous place... green and lovely with country views and stuff. But I know what you're getting at - seemed a bit of a snobby place not really suited to a young liberal person. Which course did you do? Does it really live up to its 'Rah' image?
Reply 81
Firm Exeter and put Sussex as your insurance? Or do you have another offer that you're going to accept as an insurance?
Reply 82
Original post by Kim-x
Firm Exeter and put Sussex as your insurance? Or do you have another offer that you're going to accept as an insurance?

No, Sussex will def be my insurance if I firm Exeter. Only thing is if I don't know if I want to go to Exeter yet :/
Original post by pellejema
Ahhh when I went there it was such a gorgeous place... green and lovely with country views and stuff. But I know what you're getting at - seemed a bit of a snobby place not really suited to a young liberal person. Which course did you do? Does it really live up to its 'Rah' image?

Well coming from London it was a massive culture shock to say the least. I think when I visited Exeter I was too mesmerized by the surroundings and didn't particularly focus on how well I'd settle in (I went through Adjustment so it was a pretty snap decision as to whether to study there or not).

I studied Psychology and I know what you're all thinking - that's not a real subject :tongue:. What are you thinking of studying? Hmm yes it does to some extent. I just felt extremely inferior compared to everyone else.
I chose Exeter over Sussex for law totally understand why you can't make a decision haha! My main reason for choosing Exeter was the fact that I felt at home and that they actually made me feel excited about the course hehe also I've pretty much lived in Brighton all my life so it's become a bit boring but it's a very exciting city if you haven't been there much there's always something going on! Definitely a good choice for a place to live and you're only an hour away from London if you get bored plus I've heard so many great things about the uni from my mates. I suppose I was lucky and just got that 'feeling' from Exeter that it was the place I wanted to be :biggrin:
Reply 85
Original post by beansprouts
Well coming from London it was a massive culture shock to say the least. I think when I visited Exeter I was too mesmerized by the surroundings and didn't particularly focus on how well I'd settle in (I went through Adjustment so it was a pretty snap decision as to whether to study there or not).

I studied Psychology and I know what you're all thinking - that's not a real subject :tongue:. What are you thinking of studying? Hmm yes it does to some extent. I just felt extremely inferior compared to everyone else.

Ahhh psychology... I'm doing psych A-level at the moment and think it's v interesting, can see why you were drawn to it at degree level. I'm planning on studying English which, if anything, is less of a real subject than psychology.

Yeah I didn't really get good vibes from there. The place is just stunning but it didn't really feel very friendly. Did you transfer somewhere or something?
Reply 86
I have finally decided to go to exeter! I took the city and nightlife out of the equation, which helped a lot. I know it might be more important to other people but i think i would make the best of it and have a great time whereever i go. So exeter being slightly better academically was the main decision point for me.

Have you all made your decisions yet?
Reply 87
Original post by Flori
I have finally decided to go to exeter! I took the city and nightlife out of the equation, which helped a lot. I know it might be more important to other people but i think i would make the best of it and have a great time whereever i go. So exeter being slightly better academically was the main decision point for me.

Have you all made your decisions yet?

I've chosen Exeter too! Sussex is my insurance. Pretty much similar reasons to you - the academic reputation and the course - I really liked the lecturers on the open day, so that was a pretty big factor.

Have you chosen accommodation yet?
Reply 88
Original post by pellejema
I've chosen Exeter too! Sussex is my insurance. Pretty much similar reasons to you - the academic reputation and the course - I really liked the lecturers on the open day, so that was a pretty big factor.

Have you chosen accommodation yet?

I have only just looked at accomodation (i know im abit late) and the only standard rooms available for undergraduates, selfcatered close to streatham campus are Lafrowda, Cook and Llewellyn Mews, and St David's.
St David looks really good but even that might be a little expensive.
What are you going for?
Reply 89
Original post by Flori
I have only just looked at accomodation (i know im abit late) and the only standard rooms available for undergraduates, selfcatered close to streatham campus are Lafrowda, Cook and Llewellyn Mews, and St David's.
St David looks really good but even that might be a little expensive.
What are you going for?

Yeah I thought the same, though the whole accommodation thing is confusing me... I don't know whether 16th April is when you can start applying?? I was thinking Lafrowda within my budget... I don't think I can justify spending loads of money on accommodation so I think Lafrowda will prob be my first choice :s-smilie:
Put Exeter as firm, you will not regret it!

1) Amazing uni experience
2) Amazing reputation
3) Amazing town

Source: Student Ambassador for Exeter Uni and 1st year law student :smile:
Reply 91
No idea if any of you will reply to this thread 9 months on or but...
I'm in the same situation now - can't decide between Sussex or Exeter.
I live an hour from Brighton and my sister goes to Sussex Uni already which is kind of putting me off but I love the city.
I've visited Exeter once (i'm going down for an interview on monday also so ill have another wander then) and i found it not very 'studenty' and didn't really feel a vibe but i thought the University itself was great. The thing that's drawing me so much to Exeter is the fact that the course (Applied Clinical Psychology) is the only of its kind in the country and is very specialized to what i want to do. It's a seven hour journey and i'm in a dilemma of whether i could live that far away from home in a place im not sure on.
What have your experiences been so far?

Quick Reply

Latest