The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Are OU students able to get Student Loans?

Even though there are different ways to pay back OU fees, I thought you could get a grant up to £800 (depending on your circumstances) but then you had to fund the rest yourself (if not being sponsored)

So I was wondering if its possible to get a student loan as you would do at a redbrick uni or is this not possible?

OU finance confuses me slightly

Also, modules for law are reeeeeally expensive so I would have thought loans would be vital for many students
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
The finance arrangements have just changed, and for new students starting in September 2012 you should be entitled to a loan to cover your tuition fees, just like at full time university :smile: There are some rules and regulations though so have a look at the finance section on the website just to check.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I'm doing a level 1 module at the moment and i didn't even contemplate a loan for various reasons, one of them being I didn't know OU modules/degrees were legible for student loans.

I will be legible for transitional fees but it will still be very expensive so a loan woul dbe very important.

So do student loans work in the same way as they do for redbrick unis?
Reply 3
Original post by puddingandpie
I'm doing a level 1 module at the moment and i didn't even contemplate a loan for various reasons, one of them being I didn't know OU modules/degrees were legible for student loans.

I will be legible for transitional fees but it will still be very expensive so a loan woul dbe very important.

I think that's the idea. It means the OU can phase out financial grant assistance which never gets paid back.
Reply 4

Loans will only be available from 2012 - they wouldn't have been an option when you registered for your current module. From September 2012 they will work in the same way as for brick universities.

Were you assessed for financial support last year to see if you were entitled to anything? If not, the eligibility checker for the year beginning 2011 is here. Information for current students is still not crystal clear but the funding available should be a similar level to what that tells you. Also, are you aware of OUSBA, where you pay for your course in monthly installments?

If you've looked into all your options for staying on transitional funding and feel that a loan would be better for you (assuming you don't already have a degree, in which case you aren't eligible), then it is possible to switch to the new system. From the FAQs:

If I qualify for transitional funding but would prefer to 'opt out' and pay the higher fee by student loan, do I need to take a year out in order to qualify?

A student may be able to make themselves eligible for a student loan by de-linking the credit they currently have linked to a qualification. This is not a risk-free decision for a student because it may turn out that a) not all of the credit that they have accumulated will count to the new framework qualification they want and b) if they have previously been awarded credit transfer into their existing qualification, it may no longer be eligible for transfer in the new qualification framework. We would urge students who are considering this option to seek academic advice through their regional centre.

When you're logged in to StudentHome, click here and it should take you to the FAQs for current students in England, which may be worth reading. Also give the OU a call, and if possible, get any advice they give you in writing, as there has been all sorts of contradictory information giving over the last few months while the transitional arrangements are finalised.
Oh I see, well I know I am under the transitional arrangements thing so I would not be able to get a student loan.

All these modules are going to be ridiculously expensive.....

Thank you for your help, as you said, I'll contact the OU as well :smile:
Reply 6
Oh I see, well I know I am under the transitional arrangements thing so I would not be able to get a student loan.

All these modules are going to be ridiculously expensive.....

Thank you for your help, as you said, I'll contact the OU as well :smile:

The quote in my post says you actually may be able to switch to the new loan system...it advises to speak to your regional centre.

Make sure you're looking at the transitional fees by the way - the new fees are £5000 per 120 points (e.g. £1250 for a 30 point module).

Law fees are higher but if you qualify for financial assistance I believe there might be extra available for those modules. You didn't actually say if you were assessed for financial assistance last year at all, or if you think you will be eligible? If you live with your parents, keep in mind that they don't count their income when they assess you, only your own.
Original post by Kate.
The quote in my post says you actually may be able to switch to the new loan system...it advises to speak to your regional centre.

Make sure you're looking at the transitional fees by the way - the new fees are £5000 per 120 points (e.g. £1250 for a 30 point module).

Law fees are higher but if you qualify for financial assistance I believe there might be extra available for those modules. You didn't actually say if you were assessed for financial assistance last year at all, or if you think you will be eligible? If you live with your parents, keep in mind that they don't count their income when they assess you, only your own.

I just did some checking and apparently you become liable for paying the 9% "graduate tax" once you graduate or have studied for four years, whichever comes sooner. If your earning 41K whilst studying you will be hit for 150 pcm if I understood the document correctly.

So it is unclear what the benefit of 5K per annum is over 9K per annum given the 9% applies for 30 years, other than to actually pay it off is a smaller lump sum. If you cannot raise 15K or so to pay it off then repayments for someone from a brick Uni and the OU, on the same salary are the same and last for the same period of time.

I am surprised that the 9% figure is not 5/9 * 9 %.

Certainly sounds expensive if you are already earning a decent salary, unless the simple fact that you graduate instigates an immediate promotion and significant salary increase.

Have I misunderstood this?
Reply 8
Original post by evening sunrise
I just did some checking and apparently you become liable for paying the 9% "graduate tax" once you graduate or have studied for four years, whichever comes sooner. If your earning 41K whilst studying you will be hit for 150 pcm if I understood the document correctly.

So it is unclear what the benefit of 5K per annum is over 9K per annum given the 9% applies for 30 years, other than to actually pay it off is a smaller lump sum. If you cannot raise 15K or so to pay it off then repayments for someone from a brick Uni and the OU, on the same salary are the same and last for the same period of time.

I am surprised that the 9% figure is not 5/9 * 9 %.

Certainly sounds expensive if you are already earning a decent salary, unless the simple fact that you graduate instigates an immediate promotion and significant salary increase.

Have I misunderstood this?

Monthly repayments are the same regardless of how much money you have borrowed, but if you borrowed £15k as opposed to £27k then you have more of a chance of paying it off. You don't have the 9% taken from your salary forever - it's until you pay it off, or until 30 years have passed. So perhaps (depending on income, obviously) you would pay off the £15k in 10 years - if you had the £27k loan from a £9k/year brick uni you'd still be paying it off for much longer!

Personally it wouldn't make any difference to me applying to university now because IMO the repayments should have a pretty minimal effect on your life (providing that you're living within your means and are capable of managing your money, of course!) and chances are I wouldn't pay off the £15k anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference if I went for the more expensive option. But plenty of people just look at the numbers and think they'll be better off with a smaller loan (and on the other hand, some people think any student loan will have a massive effect on their life...which it almost certainly won't).

Despite monthly repayments my student loan from my 1 year at brick uni has actually increased by £10 in the last year due to interest, haha. It really has no effect on my life whatsoever, I don't even think about it.

Quick Reply

Latest