Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Loughborough Banking Degree, good enough for IB?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, not primarily. A degree should be something you are interested in doing. It should relate to a future field you want to work in, but it doesnt have to. It also shouldnt be a bull**** degree giving you no skills.

Primarily, you should be looking into a degree that will show your strengths to future employers. Work experience during the degree will help you get the job you want - not the choice between economic history (smell that bull**** from a mile away) or business studies (which seems to be a lot less appreciated in the UK as it is in Germany, where a majority of bankers have that as their background).

There is no degree out there, that will automatically land you a job in finance, there it's silly to search for one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    not the choice between economic history (smell that bull**** from a mile away)
    I looked at the future prospects page for Economic History and about 40% went into analyst jobs at top Investment Banks, so it can't be all bad. I've also read the course structure and it looks like it seems to be about 50% traditional Economics and 50% of the history of the subject.

So yeah, I'll take your advice and do a CCC degree in Economics from some unknown university instead of an economics-related degree from LSE in order to enter the unbelievably competitive field of IB. Thanks!

or business studies (which seems to be a lot less appreciated in the UK as it is in Germany, where a majority of bankers have that as their background)
    I don't live in Germany.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spurious)
    Work experience during the degree will help you get the job you want - not the choice between economic history (smell that bull**** from a mile away) or business studies (which seems to be a lot less appreciated in the UK as it is in Germany, where a majority of bankers have that as their background).
    Lol, if you think Economic History is a bull**** degree you really don't have a clue.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBateman)
    I looked at the future prospects page for Economic History and about 40% went into analyst jobs at top Investment Banks, so it can't be all bad. I've also read the course structure and it looks like it seems to be about 50% traditional Economics and 50% of the history of the subject.

So yeah, I'll take your advice and do a CCC degree in Economics from some unknown university instead of an economics-related degree from LSE in order to enter the unbelievably competitive field of IB. Thanks!

I don't live in Germany.
    If you're actually interested in Economic History, that seems like a good choice for you. You may find it hard to find a similar course elsewhere, so it may be LSE or bust. I think Edinburgh may do it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)
    If you're actually interested in Economic History, that seems like a good choice for you. You may find it hard to find a similar course elsewhere, so it may be LSE or bust. I think Edinburgh may do it.
    Exclusively EconHistory, maybe. But I believe many universities offering Economics degrees also offer tons and tons of economic history related modules. For instance, I could have taken 4/6 and 5/6 history-based modules in my 2nd and 3rd years respectively.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomasK)
    Exclusively EconHistory, maybe. But I believe many universities offering Economics degrees also offer tons and tons of economic history related modules. For instance, I could have taken 4/6 and 5/6 history-based modules in my 2nd and 3rd years respectively.
    Yeah I agree..but straight Economics will be cut off from the OP at the top universities since he doesn't have A-level maths.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    Lol, if you think Economic History is a bull**** degree you really don't have a clue.
    Given that I consider regular Economics a useless degree, I cant see how History will add anything to it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Given that I consider regular Economics a useless degree, I cant see how History will add anything to it.
    Where do you aspire to work after you graduate?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomasK)
    Where do you aspire to work after you graduate?
    Banking, but I already semi-graduated. I am just too lazy to finally hand in my thesis.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've read the degree structure and it honestly just sounds like regular economics with some extra history-themed modules added in. The only difference seems to be that at LSE the maths element is significantly toned down, which suits me just fine with my lack of A level maths.

Also after some research it seems York does Economic History at AAB same as LSE, though undoubtedly LSE will be much harder to get into. After reading the graduate destinations at York it seems that people with degree go into IB: "Some students have also secured graduate jobs at banking firms such as Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs". York is also a good back-up choice for me because I live within driving distance, but I recognize that it will be more difficult to secure internships than at LSE. Ah well, its not supposed to be easy after all.

EDIT: It seems York only does Economics with Economic History, and only accept students with a "strong mathematical background" and you must have GCSE Maths at A grade (which I have), although it doesn't say A level maths is required and simply asks for AAB.

Banking, but I already semi-graduated. I am just too lazy to finally hand in my thesis.
    Out of interest, which degree did you do at which university?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did Economics at a Swiss university.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a damn about your degree these days. You could do marketing for all HR care as long as you have a name university on your CV.

Theology (Camb) FO at Goldman? Yes it happens but so does Economics (Camb). You have politics, sociology, history, law students all over the city at big banks and you are worried about your degree?

Ok, so an economics degree from London South Bank wont cut it but it depends on how bad you want it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a damn about your degree these days. You could do marketing for all HR care as long as you have a name university on your CV.

Theology (Camb) FO at Goldman? Yes it happens but so does Economics (Camb). You have politics, sociology, history, law students all over the city at big banks and you are worried about your degree?

Ok, so an economics degree from London South Bank wont cut it but it depends on how bad you want it.
    So what universities do you suggest would land me an FO job in IB, without needing Maths? I've ruled out Oxbridge because of my resit and GCSEs, but Economic History at LSE seems perfect with my subjects and the entry requirements of AAB, which I feel I could exceed if I put my mind to it.

By the way, I get the American Psycho reference. (:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1345)
    It's not a 'mickey mouse' degree, I'm sure it will still contain a fair amount of Maths, as it is a BSc, however, there will probably be options available for those unable to do the maths, I wouldn't advise taking the 'easy' options, as employers will be interested to see what modules you took, and flags will be immediately raised when they find out you've taken non-mathematical modules for what is essentially a finance degree.
    BSc means nothing in relation to how much maths is in the degree. While this may have some 'difficult' maths, there are other Loughborough degrees that are BSc and have the maths level of GSCE C grading.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    So what universities do you suggest would land me an FO job in IB, without needing Maths? I've ruled out Oxbridge because of my resit and GCSEs, but Economic History at LSE seems perfect with my subjects and the entry requirements of AAB, which I feel I could exceed if I put my mind to it.

By the way, I get the American Psycho reference. (:
    Just pointing it out but LSE is one of the few universities that publicly admit they dont favour resits. I dont think even oxbridge does that. Are you in AS or A2 btw?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer for economic history at LSE and I will confirm it. I think it is definitely a very good course if u want to go into IB. It does not only depend on what exactly u are learning, furthermore it is important that u learn to think analytical, critical and "outside of the box" haha. also if u get into that course and u manage to survive, it shows that u can work very hard! And I think IBs want to have people who work very hard, focused and can "analyze" with a critical view. I did not choose the subject, because I want to go into IB, I am just passionated about the subject and got my German Abitur with related subjects.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't live in Germany.
    how do you know that 40% went into analyst jobs, can you give me the link.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly the kind of person they want in Banking...

Oh wait.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    That's exactly the kind of person they want in Banking...

Oh wait.
    I think they would prefer someone from Yorkshire. The accent must go down well with clients.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fail@maths)
    I think they would prefer someone from Yorkshire. The accent must go down well with clients.
    haha this is Amazing.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.