The Student Room Group

What the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bellissima
i know same! it was actually pretty scary... especially that skeleton guy

Haha my wee brother was scared of the good guy!
Reply 21
Oh the youth of today!

When I were a lad, I used to go up t'chimney for 25 hours a day before coming home to my cardboard box and drinking rainwater.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
I have very little to do with 'kids' tbh so I can't really comment, but the world is so different now from when I started high school it's almost unbelievable. (And I'm only 20 :P)

I clearly remember people bringing cassette players to school; I think my family got our first computer when I was 9; I only got my first games console when I was 12 (until then I made do with my gameboy colour, good times); I didn't have a mobile phone until I was 13; I didn't have anything to do with the internet until high school, and I only used it to communicate with friends when I was 14... There's probably much more.

Anyway, my point is, Kids these days have so much more than we had, though whether it's for the best is highly debatable.
I would love to live it all over in today's world to see how different it is and to tell all my primary school teachers that water in a kettle boils to 87 not 100 degrees. If it boiled to 100 it would be a kettle full of steam!

I think they have got worse, but there are some very decent lower years in my form group to.
Imo ur generalising a bit, and since you only had contact with these kids wen u dealt with fights/rowdiness, etc you wud have only noticed the kids who messed about. You wudnt have noticed quiet, sensible ones
I think they're either one extreme or the other. I keep seeing tiny little children walking around in secondary school uniforms and I swear they can't be any older than 6 or 7 but they're obviously at least 11. If I was still at school I'd be in year 14 (if there was one) because I'm now 19 and when I was in year 7 I had respect for the older students. I stayed out of their way and if they pushed infront of me in the lunch queue for instance I kept quiet about it. By the time I was in year 11-12 I noticed that the year 7s would act towards me in ways I would have considered suicidal when I was their age. They just assume they can get away with it. It's kind of unfair because the year 7s are kind of supposed to fear the older ones I think, we did so why shouldn't they? I always just figured that the year 10s and 11s probably had exams and coursework and things like that that I didn't have to worry about so if they wanted the last cheese sandwich I'd let them have it.
I honestly don't see what harm it does(bar a few pregnancies too many :tongue: )
You cannot tar ALL young people with the same brush. Yes, some may have poor manners act spoilt etc etc, but there are some out there who have decent courtesy and manners, and are happy with what they have. It must also be added that the Media are 75% to blame for this. I mean when I was young the 12A never existed - if you weren't 12, you WEREN'T going to get through the cinema doors for the film, but now its saying "couldnt care less". Also the majority of press about youths is negative - barely any of the youths who do good things get any attention - is it any wonder that they feel ignored, angry etc to the point where they conform to the stereotype that the media have created?? There's barely anything for them now - CiTV got removed from ITV, BBC took away their CBBC breakfast. Instead they are using shows like Hollyoaks to educate them at such an early age - has there ever been an episode where there has been no couple? Or no brats. However, I also blame parenting. Parents who give into their child's demands are the ones who are to blame too
Reply 28
hmm I know what you mean, when I was a kid I was always playing outside, we had good TV back then Pokemon etc. It was good fun then compared to now.
Reply 29
Original post by Miracle Day
I swear there's been a drastic change in kids ever since our generation (around year 12) grew up.

Firstly, I tutor 3 year 8's with reading every Tuesday. They're such outspoken brats, cheeky little.. when I was that age I looked up to the elder students with respect and awe. And I swear, they're all spoiled with Iphones etc.. when I was that age I'd be lucky to get an MP3. I wouldn't dare go near the back of the bus, but now we're crowded by them!

Secondly the tv shows kids watch.. WTF is that crap? The Big Time Rush show? Wizards of Waverley Place? I'll take CBBC's Shoebox Zoo, Ace Lightning or CITV's Angela saying "Next is Digimon!". Don't even get me started on Tracey Beaker..

Then how naughty they are. I did work experience in the old school, only to find a park, a wooden fun reserve, football shooters, every colour you could think of. When I was in school all you saw was grey concrite, if we were lucky in the Summer we'd get chalk to draw on the concrite. We'd roleplay Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Lilp and Stitch, and play "Mob tag" and have a blast! During that week I broke up four fights, got questioned by a year five on my sex life, and came across a year 4 who thought she could bite me and laugh it off.. (She mever got to go swimming hehe)..The dinner lady I spoke to actually said the kids were way naughtier than us!

Lastly and worst of all, a year 7 on my bus has lost her virginity.. Is that even possible? I'd only just had my first kiss at that age! And those damn year 7 guys on the back of the bus talking about their girlfriends 24/7 .. you haven't even hit puberty! At that age I was collecting Doctor Who adventures and Jackie Chan cartoon trading cards!

Are kids growing up too fast?

Worryingly this seems true of all of the yr 7's in my college. They all have these fancy andrioid phones and ipod touches. At that age i still had one of those old Nokia's that were modelled on bricks.
I swear there's been a drastic change in kids ever since our generation (around year 12) grew up.

Firstly, I tutor 3 year 8's with reading every Tuesday. They're such outspoken brats, cheeky little.. when I was that age I looked up to the elder students with respect and awe. And I swear, they're all spoiled with Iphones etc.. when I was that age I'd be lucky to get an MP3. I wouldn't dare go near the back of the bus, but now we're crowded by them!

Secondly the tv shows kids watch.. WTF is that crap? The Big Time Rush show? Wizards of Waverley Place? I'll take CBBC's Shoebox Zoo, Ace Lightning or CITV's Angela saying "Next is Digimon!". Don't even get me started on Tracey Beaker..

Then how naughty they are. I did work experience in the old school, only to find a park, a wooden fun reserve, football shooters, every colour you could think of. When I was in school all you saw was grey concrite, if we were lucky in the Summer we'd get chalk to draw on the concrite. We'd roleplay Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Lilp and Stitch, and play "Mob tag" and have a blast! During that week I broke up four fights, got questioned by a year five on my sex life, and came across a year 4 who thought she could bite me and laugh it off.. (She mever got to go swimming hehe)..The dinner lady I spoke to actually said the kids were way naughtier than us!

Lastly and worst of all, a year 7 on my bus has lost her virginity.. Is that even possible? I'd only just had my first kiss at that age! And those damn year 7 guys on the back of the bus talking about their girlfriends 24/7 .. you haven't even hit puberty! At that age I was collecting Doctor Who adventures and Jackie Chan cartoon trading cards!

Are kids growing up too fast?

You would probably find the previous generation to you, also said much the same about your age group- you realise kids from the 1980s and 90s didnt have even the mp3 you had, or were even allowed to take a tape playing 'walkman; into class. As for a mobile - forget about it. its all relative.
No doubt the boundaries of 'acceptable behaviour' and freedom for kids have been withdrawn further and futher each year, so that now kids back chatting and even threatening teachers in school can be quite common. Have you ever seen how much chirp a bunch of 12 year old kids will give you on street corner when with all their mates around them? They know the law protects them in a protective bubble from any sort of confrontation with someone older.
Im terrified about my daughter growing up with times like this if im honest. I might lock her in the cellar and home school her. :colone:
Reply 32

MP3, MP3??? Your generation don't know you're born. Mini-disc player chummy. Mini disc.
Original post by scriggy
I have very little to do with 'kids' tbh so I can't really comment, but the world is so different now from when I started high school it's almost unbelievable. (And I'm only 20 :P)

I clearly remember people bringing cassette players to school; I think my family got our first computer when I was 9; I only got my first games console when I was 12 (until then I made do with my gameboy colour, good times); I didn't have a mobile phone until I was 13; I didn't have anything to do with the internet until high school, and I only used it to communicate with friends when I was 14... There's probably much more.

Anyway, my point is, Kids these days have so much more than we had, though whether it's for the best is highly debatable.

I'm 19 so I would have been in the year below you probably and I totally agree with you.

I think I got my first mobile phone (a good old nokia 3310) for my 11th birthday so that I'd have it before going to secondary school but mainly cos my best friend had one and it made me want one lol

I don't think it is beneficial that they have so much technology. I think it's turning them into zombies with no respect for other people. They seem to talk in mono-syllables and think everything is 'gay'.

I remember my gameboy colour! I wanted one for ages because we had this thing in primary school called 'golden hour' and if we were good for the whole week we got an hour of doing something fun on the friday. After falling over repeatedly in roller blading club I went to gameboy club but all I had was one of those massive arcade game thingys that had tetris and things like that on it. I felt pretty left out until my mum got me a gameboy for my 9th birthday :smile: Mine was amazing.. it was clear purple so it stood out from everybody elses and my dad got me the sabrina the teenage witch game that I wanted for it which to be fair was a pretty good game...

These days they've all got their own laptops and bloody ipads or android tablets and the gameboy equivalent is probably one of those new nintendo ds things that takes photos! When I was their age if I was going somewhere I'd want to take photos like on holiday or a school trip or something my mum would just get me a disposable camera from tesco lol.

I don't agree with stuff like cbeebies bedtime hour either. It basically gives parents the option to just stick the TV on rather than sitting with their child and reading with them like they should do. I think kids should read more. In my opinion there is a clear difference in writing and also conversation quality between people our age who read books and those who have never read a book.

I have friends who never read books because they always had TVs in their rooms, the latest games consoles and got sky when it first came out etc. Our TV had 4 channels (we only got sky about a year and a half ago and that was because our TV broke and we got persuaded into upgrading to the new stuff). I wasn't allowed a TV in my room until I was 10 and that was when I got a ps2. I never really expected to have my own TV to be honest. I was quite happy to play with my gameboy, read books and magazines and make things like origami.

I hate to say it because I really do value their friendships but the friends who had all the technology and no books can't seem to hold intelligent, adult conversations and they tend to see themselves as totally separate from the real adult world. If something like an election for instance is on the front page of every newspaper and being broadcasted on every news channel in the country and you ask them what they think of it... they won't have seen it.

I think watching TV like the news and random documentaries because nothing else is on or because you're waiting for something is almost character building. Plus you pick up information and what's going on in the world. They don't understand that because they have so much variety to choose from that they never had to watch the news and now they still don't ever watch it.

More and more kids seem to be getting that way. I don't believe that they are inherently stupid either, I think too much TV and gaming technology at a young age kinda stunts their intellectual development. They don't seem to do anything in their free time that will benefit them or educate them.
Original post by Norton1
MP3, MP3??? Your generation don't know you're born. Mini-disc player chummy. Mini disc.

Nah, its all about the WALKMAN.
Reply 35
Original post by NYprincessmaddie
Nah, its all about the WALKMAN.

Still have my WALKMAN. Walking about with my tapes, I was the bomb.
Original post by Norton1
Still have my WALKMAN. Walking about with my tapes, I was the bomb.

So do I. When my daughter is 11 she will be going to school with it, not the iPod 15000. Vintage.
Original post by littleone271
I'm 19 so I would have been in the year below you probably and I totally agree with you.

I think I got my first mobile phone (a good old nokia 3310) for my 11th birthday so that I'd have it before going to secondary school but mainly cos my best friend had one and it made me want one lol

I don't think it is beneficial that they have so much technology. I think it's turning them into zombies with no respect for other people. They seem to talk in mono-syllables and think everything is 'gay'.

I remember my gameboy colour! I wanted one for ages because we had this thing in primary school called 'golden hour' and if we were good for the whole week we got an hour of doing something fun on the friday. After falling over repeatedly in roller blading club I went to gameboy club but all I had was one of those massive arcade game thingys that had tetris and things like that on it. I felt pretty left out until my mum got me a gameboy for my 9th birthday :smile: Mine was amazing.. it was clear purple so it stood out from everybody elses and my dad got me the sabrina the teenage witch game that I wanted for it which to be fair was a pretty good game...

These days they've all got their own laptops and bloody ipads or android tablets and the gameboy equivalent is probably one of those new nintendo ds things that takes photos! When I was their age if I was going somewhere I'd want to take photos like on holiday or a school trip or something my mum would just get me a disposable camera from tesco lol.

I don't agree with stuff like cbeebies bedtime hour either. It basically gives parents the option to just stick the TV on rather than sitting with their child and reading with them like they should do. I think kids should read more. In my opinion there is a clear difference in writing and also conversation quality between people our age who read books and those who have never read a book.

I have friends who never read books because they always had TVs in their rooms, the latest games consoles and got sky when it first came out etc. Our TV had 4 channels (we only got sky about a year and a half ago and that was because our TV broke and we got persuaded into upgrading to the new stuff). I wasn't allowed a TV in my room until I was 10 and that was when I got a ps2. I never really expected to have my own TV to be honest. I was quite happy to play with my gameboy, read books and magazines and make things like origami.

I hate to say it because I really do value their friendships but the friends who had all the technology and no books can't seem to hold intelligent, adult conversations and they tend to see themselves as totally separate from the real adult world. If something like an election for instance is on the front page of every newspaper and being broadcasted on every news channel in the country and you ask them what they think of it... they won't have seen it.

I think watching TV like the news and random documentaries because nothing else is on or because you're waiting for something is almost character building. Plus you pick up information and what's going on in the world. They don't understand that because they have so much variety to choose from that they never had to watch the news and now they still don't ever watch it.

More and more kids seem to be getting that way. I don't believe that they are inherently stupid either, I think too much TV and gaming technology at a young age kinda stunts their intellectual development. They don't seem to do anything in their free time that will benefit them or educate them.

This^^^
Every generation looks down upon and criticizes the previous one plus you can't just say all kids of this generation our bad just because you had a bad experience with a few kids. With regards to the new technology every generation has kids who get the latest technology first and i do agree with the person above that it is often that those who have this technology are less likely to hold intelligent conversations.
I remember having our school discos with the local boys school when we were in Y8/9. Not gonna lie, the first half was always spent with girls on one side of the room, boys stood on the other, sizing each other up! Only after that point did we start talking and mixing.

A few years later I then ended up being part of a group who ran a school disco for Y7/8 (by this point, it was no longer considered safe to let Y9 near the boys school....). Not gonna lie, they got straight in there and started getting very close and personal with these boys in the space of half an hour. It wasn't just me, we were all rather shocked at the change in the space of 4 or 5 years!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending