The Student Room Group

What the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Popppppy
I'm utterly mortified. I wasn't paying attention to who you are, just responding to what you said. Is that a problem?
Reply 102
I think the main problem is that they've forgotten the wise words of Supergrass and haven't been brushing their teeth properly. And some small girls dress like prostitutes...In other words they're tacky AND plaquey.
Original post by Tootles
I'm utterly mortified. I wasn't paying attention to who you are, just responding to what you said. Is that a problem?

It's fate
:sexface:
Reply 104
Original post by Popppppy
It's fate
:sexface:
Fair enough :smile: Sorry if I seem like a bit of a ****, I've had hardly any sleep for a week and am getting really low at the moment.
Reply 105
So many kids are total brats these days and have had a total lack of discipline. I blame the parents for being such useless wet weekends.

I work in retail and the number of kids that run riot, screaming and having massive tantrums while useless mummy or daddy tries to bribe them with something is ridiculous. If I DARED move from my parents side while shopping there would have been trouble!

Dare I say it, but a good smack for the little brats wouldn't go amiss every now and then. This namby-pamby style of parenting that many seem to adopt these days is frankly, rubbish. It is producing a generation of brats that have no respect for authority.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ConnorB

Rolling the dice :awesome:
Just here to join in this circlejerk over how great our generation is compared to the current lot of year 7's and 8's.
Original post by insignificant
It really makes me wonder what I would do if my kid wanted an iPhone, and every other parent had given their kids iPhones.. but I didn't want mine to have one because what the hell do they need one for? But what would you give them instead.. an old nokia? Would they get bullied? Theres no alternative, they're all smart phones with access to the internet and a billion apps.. what are you supposed to do?

The proliferation of hi-tech gadgets.....:eek:
Original post by Christop
I have an old nokia. :frown:

Yeah I suppose its better than carrying a knife or a bat for self-defence just in case you get stopped and searched by the police.
Reply 110
Not like the good old days when your parents would marry you off on your 12th birthday or send you away to fight at 14 :tongue:
Reply 111
I believe that half of 'todays problems' are due to a lack of empathy. The amount of times I have seen a child do something and be totally ignorant oblivious to how the other person may feel because of their actions is quite frightening.
Anyone remember 'He-Man' on TV?

Many years ago... :moon:
Original post by ocelotrevs
You sound like a miserable old git who is looking through some rose tinted spectacles.
Get a grip and remember what it was really like.

We're all getting a bit emotional looking back to when we were kids, but c'mon you've got to at least agree with OP in that our generation had the best children's shows of all time - well, certainly better than the thrash that the kids of today have. We had pokemon, spiderman, x-men animated series, digimon, power rangers, bernard's watch, goosebumps, are you afraid of the dark, ant n dec SMTV live, hey arnold, etc etc.........
Reply 114
A girl in Year 7 (aged 11) at dancing came into the changing room last week and announced she'd smoked 2 cigarettes.

Us older girls were utterly disgusted, at 17, I personally haven't even tried anything like that, (just doesn't interest me).

This is also the same 11 year old who bought see-through lacy thongs.WTF?!
Original post by Miracle Day
I swear there's been a drastic change in kids ever since our generation (around year 12) grew up.

Firstly, I tutor 3 year 8's with reading every Tuesday. They're such outspoken brats, cheeky little.. when I was that age I looked up to the elder students with respect and awe. And I swear, they're all spoiled with Iphones etc.. when I was that age I'd be lucky to get an MP3. I wouldn't dare go near the back of the bus, but now we're crowded by them!

Secondly the tv shows kids watch.. WTF is that crap? The Big Time Rush show? Wizards of Waverley Place? I'll take CBBC's Shoebox Zoo, Ace Lightning or CITV's Angela saying "Next is Digimon!". Don't even get me started on the new Tracey Beaker..

Then how naughty they are. I did work experience in the old school, only to find a park, a wooden fun reserve, football shooters, every colour you could think of. When I was in school all you saw was grey concrite, if we were lucky in the Summer we'd get chalk to draw on the concrite. We'd roleplay Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Lilp and Stitch, and play "Mob tag" and have a blast! During that week I broke up four fights, got questioned by a year five on my sex life, and came across a year 4 who thought she could bite me and laugh it off.. (She mever got to go swimming hehe)..The dinner lady I spoke to actually said the kids were way naughtier than us!

Lastly and worst of all, a year 7 on my bus has lost her virginity.. Is that even possible? I'd only just had my first kiss at that age! And those damn year 7 guys on the back of the bus talking about their girlfriends 24/7 .. you haven't even hit puberty! At that age I was collecting Doctor Who adventures and Jackie Chan cartoon trading cards!

Are kids growing up too fast?

Whilst I'm totally with you on the whole tv thing (the new Tracy Beaker makes me very sad indeed), I think maybe you just went to a better school than the one you now tutor at. I went to about seven different schools, but there were at least a couple that were almost exactly as you describe- fights, threatening teachers, sex at a really early age. People started smoking before we even got to middle school so like... year 5? I don't know. Whereas the kids I tutor now are still a handful from time to time, but angels in comparison to some people I went to school with.
Sad, but true... I'm horrified every day when i see children of that age and think how i was back then, i dread to think what they'll be like in a decades time.
Original post by riotgrrl
Whilst I'm totally with you on the whole tv thing (the new Tracy Beaker makes me very sad indeed), I think maybe you just went to a better school than the one you now tutor at. I went to about seven different schools, but there were at least a couple that were almost exactly as you describe- fights, threatening teachers, sex at a really early age. People started smoking before we even got to middle school so like... year 5? I don't know. Whereas the kids I tutor now are still a handful from time to time, but angels in comparison to some people I went to school with.

Sorry. The school I tutor at is the school I've been at through secondary school, and the school I went back to was my old school.
Original post by sharmine
Sad, but true... I'm horrified every day when i see children of that age and think how i was back then, i dread to think what they'll be like in a decades time.

Yeah. Especially when like 12/13 year olds are smoking/drinking .. I'm not against underaged drinking because I do myself.. but it just looks so young and wrong :s-smilie:
Original post by internet tough guy
We're all getting a bit emotional looking back to when we were kids, but c'mon you've got to at least agree with OP in that our generation had the best children's shows of all time - well, certainly better than the thrash that the kids of today have. We had pokemon, spiderman, x-men animated series, digimon, power rangers, bernard's watch, goosebumps, are you afraid of the dark, ant n dec SMTV live, hey arnold, etc etc.........

I stopped reading after I posted. It just sounded like a bitter old rant, bloody hell. The OP sounds about 50.

There is no doubt in what's being said about the cartoons though. Aquila was the best.
And don't forget holiday channel 4 cartoons. Bill and Ted, Back to the Future, Sharky and George, Tintin, Pugwall. Come on!!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending