The Student Room Group

OCR B F335 - Chemistry by Design - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

anyone gonna attempt an unofficial markscheme?
Reply 1161
Original post by aim28
one?

SAME!:biggrin:
yay for failing! -_-
definately not got the grade i wanted, I didn't even finish the paper, i ran out of time! :frown:
bloody tw*ts.
Original post by sunshinesmile10
this was the massive molecule with three benzene rings... ring a bell? (pardon the pun :P :P)

Errrrm, what did the question actually ask you to do?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1164
Original post by Birterillo
Errrrm, what did the question actually ask you to do?

What reacted with benzene to give that funny molecule :smile:
Reply 1165
Need a see the paper!!!! Anyone?
Reply 1166
Need to see the paper!!!! Anyone?
Original post by InkyOne
What reacted with benzene to give that funny molecule :smile:

Really don't remember this. I checked through several times so don't see how I could have missed a question but I didnt think there were any on the benzene reactions apart from that friedel crafts question. So worried now. :/

Reply 1168
Really don't remember this. I checked through several times so don't see how I could have missed a question but I didnt think there were any on the benzene reactions apart from that friedel crafts question. So worried now. :/

It looked like this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=triphenylmethane+full+structural+formula&start=46&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1919&bih=993&tbm=isch&tbnid=R-508EugetgDZM:&imgrefurl=http://www.parishchemical.com/product_details.pl%3Fid%3D2107&docid=dCi2JiO3zqsuEM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www.parishchemical.com/structures/5527.gif&w=106&h=145&ei=ucLYT8yeOpOx8QPTg-yCAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=558&vpy=322&dur=2143&hovh=116&hovw=84&tx=84&ty=59&sig=109017478205839960395&page=2&tbnh=116&tbnw=84&ndsp=57&ved=1t:429,r:41,s:46,i:42

The question was along the lines of what reacted with benzene to make the above molecule.
but 90 degrees anticlockwise, i'm sure you didn't miss it, it wasn't one of those randomly placed questions, (this is com in from someone who missed the back page off her physics GCSE!) it was one with a dotted line and there were questions underneath, and it was friedel krafts alkylation :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
What did people put for the question about ionic solvents made up of large cations and anions why they have low melting points?
Original post by InkyOne
It looked like this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=triphenylmethane+full+structural+formula&start=46&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1919&bih=993&tbm=isch&tbnid=R-508EugetgDZM:&imgrefurl=http://www.parishchemical.com/product_details.pl%3Fid%3D2107&docid=dCi2JiO3zqsuEM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www.parishchemical.com/structures/5527.gif&w=106&h=145&ei=ucLYT8yeOpOx8QPTg-yCAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=558&vpy=322&dur=2143&hovh=116&hovw=84&tx=84&ty=59&sig=109017478205839960395&page=2&tbnh=116&tbnw=84&ndsp=57&ved=1t:429,r:41,s:46,i:42

The question was along the lines of what reacted with benzene to make the above molecule.
but 90 degrees anticlockwise, i'm sure you didn't miss it, it wasn't one of those randomly placed questions, (this is com in from someone who missed the back page off her physics GCSE!) it was one with a dotted line and there were questions underneath, and it was friedel krafts alkylation :smile:

I honestly still don't recognise it haha but my mate said that was the one they asked why it's coloured and benzene is colourless? Is that correct?

Reply 1171
I honestly still don't recognise it haha but my mate said that was the one they asked why it's coloured and benzene is colourless? Is that correct?

Yeah, that was the question below! :smile:
Reply 1172
Original post by Princess Kawaii
What did people put for the question about ionic solvents made up of large cations and anions why they have low melting points?

Lots of shielding due to the large number of electron shells decreased the strength of the electrostatic attractions between ions, so less energy is required to overcome the ionic bonds between ions.
Original post by InkyOne
Yeah, that was the question below! :smile:

Well I remember that one so I haven't missed like a whole double page or anything. Guess I'll never know if I did the question you were talking about but only sounds like a 1 marker is that right?

Reply 1174
Well I remember that one so I haven't missed like a whole double page or anything. Guess I'll never know if I did the question you were talking about but only sounds like a 1 marker is that right?

yeah, it wasn't significant! :smile:

Kinda glad everyone found it hard!
Reply 1176
Maleic_anhydride.png
this is maleic anhydride

argh i did it all correct but I left a -OH group on one of the carbons.
fred-mercury-queen-meme-so-close.png
Original post by aim28
I put -38, do you know what the right answer was??

I think its -38 and im pretty sure i got -38 and will have put that. Im going to have a look at the paper tomorrow after maths exam so ill soon know. I think ive just made lots of silly mistakes.
Original post by Alex J
Maleic_anhydride.png
this is maleic anhydride

argh i did it all correct but I left a -OH group on one of the carbons.
fred-mercury-queen-meme-so-close.png

This is what i put but i just drew it structurally. I dont think i got the ester one above it correct though. I did the ester above in linear form with 2 ester groups and an alkene group if i remember correctly but i dont know wether it was supposed to be a ring structure. Seems a bit harsh that they should put things like that in when we dont actually learn about them.
On the 1 mark question where we had to draw a curly arrow on, did the arrow go from the bond to the oxygen, or should we put it from the bond and stright down to the bond between the oxygen and carbon seen as though a c=o bond was formed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending