The Student Room Group

OCR B F335 - Chemistry by Design - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Can someone explain how to work out the ratio of salt/acid in a solution?
or give an example of a question and show working.
Reply 101
What is the difference between dissociation and ionising. The revision guide says "a strong acid ionises fully", and the book also says "weak acids dont ionise fully", but later states " only small amounts of the acid dissociate?
Reply 102
Original post by matt1107
What is the difference between dissociation and ionising. The revision guide says "a strong acid ionises fully", and the book also says "weak acids dont ionise fully", but later states " only small amounts of the acid dissociate?

They're the same thing. You can talk about an acid losing its H+ ions in terms of ionisation or dissociation.
how do you decide which bit is the phramacophore of a structure?...so confused
Original post by master_blaster66
how do you decide which bit is the phramacophore of a structure?...so confused

Well, they show you two molecules usually, and you look at a structure which they both have, then you circle that structure because it's same in both. It's usually the pharmacophore, this produces the activity/biological response in the body
Original post by Bi0logical
Well, they show you two molecules usually, and you look at a structure which they both have, then you circle that structure because it's same in both. It's usually the pharmacophore, this produces the activity/biological response in the body

would the same count for chromophore too?
Reply 106
I'm being lazy but, would help if anyone had a list of all the reactions + conditions we had to learn?

Cheers!
Original post by hash007
I'm being lazy but, would help if anyone had a list of all the reactions + conditions we had to learn?

Cheers!

lol theres tooo many to list down..theyre all on the revision guide and on the text book
Original post by master_blaster66
would the same count for chromophore too?

They wont ask like that about the chromophore.

But probably say what makes azo dyes colored? A: Chromophore

IF they ask us to circle a chromophore, its just the delocalised system, so just circle both benzene rings and N=N bond. Electrons in the delocalised system need less energy to become excited than those with covalent bonds, this energy is available when molecule absorbs visible light.
Can someone explain how to work out the ratio of salt/acid in a solution?
or give an example of a question and show working.

you need to use the equilibrium constant equation.. so if you rearrange it, then you get the ratio as Ka/H = A-/ HA (which is the ratio)
so basically you divide Ka(which is given) by H ... the number you get is the ratio and just correspond it to 1 to make the ratio.
Reply 110
Can anyone quickly explain atomic emission/absorbtion spectrum. It's synoptic and has popped up in a few past papers and I can't remember a thing :redface:
Original post by sunshinesmile10
you need to use the equilibrium constant equation.. so if you rearrange it, then you get the ratio as Ka/H = A-/ HA (which is the ratio)
so basically you divide Ka(which is given) by H ... the number you get is the ratio and just correspond it to 1 to make the ratio.

So is that always the technique when asked about ratio of acid/salt?
I'm probably going to get all the calculations wrong in this paper :frown:
So is that always the technique when asked about ratio of acid/salt?
I'm probably going to get all the calculations wrong in this paper :frown:

just to clarify.. this is the ratio of salt (A-) over acid (HA) not acid over salt. But this is the one they usually ask...
In terms of calculations, dont stress out. Do lots of paper questions and make sure you UNDERSTAND whats happening rather then just learning it up. I know its easy to say and all but knowing salters they love to throw a little curveball
.....think how good you'll feel when you can say goodbye to chemical ideas :P :P
2 questions - firstly does anyone have a past paper for jan 2010
also, how do we balance the equations using electrons... is there notes anywhere, i cant find them.. thanks
Reply 114
Suggest an equation for the reaction of sulfur tetrafluoride with oxygen to form sulfur
hexafluoride.

Ans: SF4 + 02 ---> SF6 + S02

How the hell do you know S02 is produced when it doesn't say it in the Q!

This is F335, Jun 2011 q.
Reply 115
what does S298 / J K–1 mol–1 mean?
Reply 116
hello,

has anyone got a different link for Jan 2012 paper? As the 'mediafire.com' one, isn't loading well at all!

Original post by -James-
what does S298 / J K–1 mol–1 mean?

I think that's entropy, a bit more context will be needed for further explanation
Are all the grade boundaries low for this exam? The couple I have seen have been about 83 for an A. Is this common?
Original post by 4 Mathlete the win
Are all the grade boundaries low for this exam? The couple I have seen have been about 83 for an A. Is this common?

yep its common, the lowest ive seen is 80 and the highest is 85 i think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending