The Student Room Group

I eat constantly, but cannot put on weight..

Okay can people PLEASE not post just to say something like 'you're lucky, just accept it!' because this actually really bothers me. I do NOT feel lucky yet any time I try to ask about this that is the classic response.

I have serious trouble maintaining my weight. I am just over 5'7" and my weight tends to fluctuate between about 8.8st and 9.7st, with the average being around 9.5st. However in order to maintain this weight I have to eat a LOT. If I eat what would be considered normal by many people I lose weight. If I eat my 'reccommended' calories I lose weight.

Just for an example today I ate...
-7 weetabix, a yoghurt and half a honeydew melon for breakfast
-2 cheese & onion sandwiches, an apple and a yoghurt for lunch
-A bean burger, a cheese and quorn fillet, noodles, salad, sweetcorn, peas and green beans for dinner.
-Snacks throughout the day include, 2 packets of monster munch, a twix, a crunchie, 3 bananas, a piece of carrot cake
-Drinks include about a pint of milk, 500ml of grapefruit juice, and maybe 5-6 glasses of water.

I think this is quite a lot of food by most standards (i eat rather large portions) I don't even want to try and guess how many calories that is... Yet I just do not out on weight at all and if I eat less than this, I drop weight really fast.

I'm really worried that when I start uni this will become a major problem as I will not be able to afford this much food. I am scared I will get malnourished or underweight or something.

I just don't understand how it is physically possible to need so much food simply to maintain my current weight. I fear I have something actually wrong with me like my body isn't processing food properly.. because surely no metabolism can be THAT fast?

Scroll to see replies

You could have thyroid problems or a very high metabolism which is causing you to lose weight. Go to the doctor about it they might be able to help.
Reply 2
mate are you a vegeterian?
Reply 3
This happened to a guy I know. Turned out he had worms. See a doctor.
Wow. Just, wow.
Firstly, I do have to say that you are lucky but in a bittersweet way. It's like a cursed dream or an amazing nightmare!
Secondly, I admit I don't know much about gaining weight (because I'm so obsessed with the opposite! lol) but I know that you can slow your metabolism down by eating ****ty food that lack nutrition (i.e. refined carbs, sugars, bad fats etc.). I know, bad advice, but it's there if you want it.
And lastly, if you haven't already then you should really get checked out. It might not have anything to do with your metabolism but rather something a lot more serious like worms
Original post by BabyGirl92
You could have thyroid problems or a very high metabolism which is causing you to lose weight. Go to the doctor about it they might be able to help.

This

Original post by mia )

But not this. Being vegetarian does not make you lose weight. It's also possible to go a day without eating meat even if you are a meat-eater.
Reply 6
Original post by Jenii

Here at TSR, we're like House, but better.

That being said, this is possible, as pork contains wee worm larvae.
Reply 7
Original post by mia )

I actually am, yes.. do you think this could be the issue? :s-smilie:

Original post by Jenii

o_O Um ewwww. I DO foster cats/kittens for the RSPCA, often they have been strays.. do you think I may have caught worms from one? Are worms transmittable from cat to human?
Reply 8
Original post by fabbykadabra

o_O Um ewwww. I DO foster cats/kittens for the RSPCA, often they have been strays.. do you think I may have caught worms from one? Are worms transmittable from cat to human?

You may as well de-worm yourself anyway, I'm pretty sure you can buy treatments over the counter at pharmacists
Reply 9
Original post by SparksInTheSky

But not this. Being vegetarian does not make you lose weight. It's also possible to go a day without eating meat even if you are a meat-eater.

i never said it did...i just wanted to know :confused:

i doubt it...but if your really worried just go to your GP or something and get it checked out :smile:
Reply 10
I think I will go to the GP now.. mostly because I am paranoid about having worms LOL.
Reply 11

I don't know that much about worms- the person I know thinks he got it from eating a sausage that wasnt properly cooked. It's unlikely you have worms though, i was just pointing out it was possible. You probably just have a fast metabolism.
-A bean burger, a cheese and quorn fillet, noodles, salad, sweetcorn, peas and green beans for dinner.
-Snacks throughout the day include, 2 packets of monster munch, a twix, a crunchie, 3 bananas, a piece of carrot cake
-Drinks include about a pint of milk, 500ml of grapefruit juice, and maybe 5-6 glasses of water.

That's not a lot of food. Much of it is vegetables and fruit which don't have much calorific value. The foods that you listed there that do have a high calorific value are mostly fatty foods and junk and with a high metabolism it's no surprise you're not gaining weight.

Start a weightlifting routine and change your diet. You're not a freak of nature, you're just doing the wrong things and putting the wrong fuel into your body.

Whole grains, meat, fish, beans, eggs, so on so forth, are what you need to be eating more of, combined with heavy weightlifting 3 times a week.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Wilfred Little
That's not a lot of food. Much of it is vegetables and fruit which don't have much calorific value. The foods that you listed there that do have a high calorific value are mostly fatty foods and with a high metabolism it's no surprise you're not gaining weight.

Start a weightlifting routine and change your diet. You're not a freak of nature, you're just doing the wrong things and putting the wrong fuel into your body.

Whole grains, meat, fish, beans, eggs, so on so forth, are what you need to be eating more of, combined with heavy weightlifting 3 times a week.

I never thought of it this way. Although I don't eat meat or fish I try to have a balanced diet as much as possible, but I guess that I do like fruit/veg and this doesn't have many calories... I do eat a LOT of beans and carbs though.
I will try doing weightlifting (though I'm pathetically weak), but.. surely this will just burn more fat..?
It is entirely possible to have a metabolism that is just that bit faster than most people's (I just have a really strange one where my weight stays static, almost no matter what). Being a vegetarian has naff all effect on your weight - I've met morbidly obese vegans & veggies, know some who constantly struggle with their weight, some who are entirely normal, and others who are a bit on the thin side. And the same goes for meat eaters.

However, as it's bothering you, it's probably best to see your GP.

With regards to your cats, most intestinal worms will pretty much live in any mammal that they get into, and that includes you. What's the hygiene like with them? It sounds like they might not all be entirely litter tray trained / sometimes get up onto kitchen work surfaces? Given that they are from unknown sources, I guess it is a possibility....
Okay can people PLEASE not post just to say something like 'you're lucky, just accept it!' because this actually really bothers me. I do NOT feel lucky yet any time I try to ask about this that is the classic response.

I have serious trouble maintaining my weight. I am just over 5'7" and my weight tends to fluctuate between about 8.8st and 9.7st, with the average being around 9.5st. However in order to maintain this weight I have to eat a LOT. If I eat what would be considered normal by many people I lose weight. If I eat my 'reccommended' calories I lose weight.

I think this is quite a lot of food by most standards (i eat rather large portions) I don't even want to try and guess how many calories that is... Yet I just do not out on weight at all and if I eat less than this, I drop weight really fast.

I'm really worried that when I start uni this will become a major problem as I will not be able to afford this much food. I am scared I will get malnourished or underweight or something.

I just don't understand how it is physically possible to need so much food simply to maintain my current weight. I fear I have something actually wrong with me like my body isn't processing food properly.. because surely no metabolism can be THAT fast?

How do you know if you eat your recommended calories if you've never worked it out? There's no point worrying about worms if turns out you really only consume 1500 calories a day. You can't just go by portion size. You'd be suprised by the amont of people who under-estimate their calorie consumption.
Also, the amount of exercise you do is obviously a factor.
I never thought of it this way. Although I don't eat meat or fish I try to have a balanced diet as much as possible, but I guess that I do like fruit/veg and this doesn't have many calories... I do eat a LOT of beans and carbs though.
I will try doing weightlifting (though I'm pathetically weak), but.. surely this will just burn more fat..?

Believe me it's not fat that you want to gain.

You're talking to a 22 year old man who at 16 weighed about 7 stone and was more than likely skinnier than you are now.

I could eat junk food like a horse and not get any bigger, it was only when I started to eat 5 or 6 quality meals a day, combined with lifting weights that I started to get bigger (was 10 stone-ish a year later, some fat gain and some noob gains but remember I was underweight before). Now I'm quite big, so I know how you feel but it's easy to grow when you know what you're doing. I gained fat at first and didn't care but eventually I wanted a more ripped look, you will too so just cut out the fat gain because in the long run you'll regret it.

Weightlifting will also increase your appetite, it's not too hard to gain a noticeable amount of muscle when you have never lifted weights before as you'll get noob gains. Stick to complex carbs too like brown rice, rice cakes, wholemeal pasta etc. Simple carbs are no good for you.
Reply 17
I have the same problem, except im 6'1 and weigh 8st 12.!!
Reply 18
Original post by Origami Bullets
It is entirely possible to have a metabolism that is just that bit faster than most people's (I just have a really strange one where my weight stays static, almost no matter what). Being a vegetarian has naff all effect on your weight - I've met morbidly obese vegans & veggies, know some who constantly struggle with their weight, some who are entirely normal, and others who are a bit on the thin side. And the same goes for meat eaters.

However, as it's bothering you, it's probably best to see your GP.

With regards to your cats, most intestinal worms will pretty much live in any mammal that they get into, and that includes you. What's the hygiene like with them? It sounds like they might not all be entirely litter tray trained / sometimes get up onto kitchen work surfaces? Given that they are from unknown sources, I guess it is a possibility....

I think I will go. Even if it is just metabolism maybe my GP can suggest the best way to get around it.
Generally hygiene is good - we don't let them in the kitchen and I make sure to wash my hands after handling them because I have cats of my own and am paranoid about spreading any diseases between them. However I am not arrogant enough to say that I may not have slipped up at some point and forgotten. I guess I will go to my GP and mention this too and if they think it's a possibility I imagine they'll know what to do about it.

Thanks for all your help, everyone! :smile:

To be honest with you, if you want to gain weight you should eat more. What you eat is not a lot at all, well compared to me it is not and I am around 6 feet tall and I weigh 11 stones so my BMI comes to 20.9 which is Normal weight. And according to your average weight your BMI is 20.8 which is Normal weight. And trust me you do not need to get worried about food when you start uni. If you are starting uni like me 2012 September for the first time, then you get maintenance grants which can cover for your food and stuff. I'm assuming you are going to leave home to study at uni. But I'm sure the uni would give out student discount vouchers and stuff, I know you get a student card but you can always buy cheap food from Tesco's and other supermarkets. I do not think you would be out of money. Depending on your household income, I think you can get quite a lot through grants. Make sure you apply for Student Finance when you apply to go to uni.

Btw: Have you applied for uni, I mean are you starting Sept 2012?

Quick Reply

Latest