The Student Room Group

Reputation of American management education in the UK?

While preparing my applications for Management I had a closer look at the educational and professional background of my prospective lecturers and professors. I ploughed through about 25 universities throughout the UK. It was astonishing to find out that almost no one has been to the US for education neither for a Bachelor nor a Master/PhD/MBA. I don´t understand it since the US is the mecca for management education. I don´t mean to offend somebody by this "result" and don´t want to judge education or management in the US at all. I would just like to know the reasons.
Original post by BERLO
While preparing my applications for Management I had a closer look at the educational and professional background of my prospective lecturers and professors. I ploughed through about 25 universities throughout the UK. It was astonishing to find out that almost no one has been to the US for education neither for a Bachelor nor a Master/PhD/MBA. I don´t understand it since the US is the mecca for management education. I don´t mean to offend somebody by this "result" and don´t want to judge education or management in the US at all. I would just like to know the reasons.

I imagine as they are the most capitalist (non-negatively) country in the World, I would think their Business Management degrees would be respected from US, perhaps if you explore the reasons through doing some reading possibly :smile:
Original post by BERLO

Has it not occurred to you that British lecturers are more likely to have been educated in the UK? American lecturers are also more likely to have been educated in the US.

And I strongly disagree that business education is necessarily better in the US than in the UK. Research is a different story as US business schools receive much more funding but in terms of education I doubt there's a difference.

EDIT: Why are you alluding the 'best education' to 'Mecca'? Doesn't really make much sense when Mecca is a city and the US is a country.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Garam Masala
Has it not occurred to you that British lecturers are more likely to have been educated in the UK? American lecturers are also more likely to have been educated in the US.

And I strongly disagree that business education is necessarily better in the US than in the UK. Research is a different story as US business schools receive much more funding but in terms of education I doubt there's a difference.

EDIT: Why are you alluding the 'best education' to 'Mecca'? Doesn't really make much sense when Mecca is a city and the US is a country.

Don´t get me wrong. I didn´t make any judgement.

I understand and share the preference for natives to a certain extent but knowledge and experience shouldn´t be ignored but always come first. Such as London is probably the place to be if you want to learn about finance it is the US for management.

I used Mecca as a metaphor. That´s why I wrote "mecca". Be it a town or a country. In this case it doesn´t matter as long as it´s a place.
Original post by BERLO
Don´t get me wrong. I didn´t make any judgement.

I understand and share the preference for natives to a certain extent but knowledge and experience shouldn´t be ignored but always come first. Such as London is probably the place to be if you want to learn about finance it is the US for management.

I used Mecca as a metaphor. That´s why I wrote "mecca". Be it a town or a country. In this case it doesn´t matter as long as it´s a place.

Management education isn't religious either. I still don't get the point of 'Mecca'.

You still haven't justified why management education is better in the US than in the UK either.
Management education isn't religious either. I still don't get the point of 'Mecca'.

:rolleyes: He used "Mecca" as a figure of speech. Like someone might say "England is the Mecca of Fish and Chips and warm pints" or "Harlem is the Mecca of Black America"

You still haven't justified why management education is better in the US than in the UK either.

BERLO never claimed this.
Original post by FinanceStudent28
:rolleyes: He used "Mecca" as a figure of speech. Like someone might say "England is the Mecca of Fish and Chips and warm pints" or "Harlem is the Mecca of Black America"

BERLO never claimed this.

But it doesn't work. Just as "England is the Mecca of Fish and Chips". That doesn't work either and it's entirely unheard of. Mecca has religious connotations and it is limited to only a number of islamic states. So it doesn't make sense, but of course his point was made. It just sounds naff. If one were to read that in a journal or hear someone use that in a speech, one would think he is a pretentious moron.

I don´t understand it since the US is the mecca for management education. I don´t mean to offend somebody by this "result" and don´t want to judge education or management in the US at all. I would just like to know the reasons.

Oh yes he did. It is rather blatantly implicated, doesn't take a genius to notice that.

EDIT: And the quote regarding finance in London is just as absurd. Just because it is one of the world's financial capitals, doesn't make it the best for financial education. London isn't even the biggest, ironically New York is.

Anyway I don't mean to be rude I just feel I should correct some heavily misinformed individuals.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I don't think your attitude helps you much. In your opinion they may be misinformed. To many others their point may be valid. Whether Mecca is a city, a country of a chain of bingo halls is hardly the point.

As to education of the academics: you will have to look at the motivations for seeking overseas education if originally from Europe. There are many reasons why the academics may have a European education: I suspect most of it is to do with cultural closeness or interest in the variety of European business. Why don't you get in touch and ask them ?

If you _really_ want a US perspective on business (with the lack of diversity that may imply) then why not go there and study or apply to one of the US colleges that have a presence in Europe ?

TBD

Anyway I don't mean to be rude I just feel I should correct some heavily misinformed individuals.
Original post by TBD
I don't think your attitude helps you much. In your opinion they may be misinformed. To many others their point may be valid. Whether Mecca is a city, a country of a chain of bingo halls is hardly the point.

As to education of the academics: you will have to look at the motivations for seeking overseas education if originally from Europe. There are many reasons why the academics may have a European education: I suspect most of it is to do with cultural closeness or interest in the variety of European business. Why don't you get in touch and ask them ?

If you _really_ want a US perspective on business (with the lack of diversity that may imply) then why not go there and study or apply to one of the US colleges that have a presence in Europe ?

TBD

Even if it is an opinion (and frankly, 95% of stuff on this forum is technically opinionated anyway) it needs to be justified for it to be credible. I just don't want viewers taking the OP's post word for word when there is no backing. Simple as that. The Mecca allusion itself wasn't 'to the point'. So I felt obligated to discuss it as well.
Reply 9

As FinanceStudent28 quoted it´s a figure of speech.
Just have a look at the following book titles/articles which contain this word, it isn´t meant religiously: "Honolulu shopping mecca gears up for more expansions"; "Alaska: a mecca or myth for business women"; "Hollywood: Mecca of the Movies"; "Northwest Arkansas: Mecca of Technology?". I won´t argue with you, if you´re interested check it yourself.

I don´t admit I´m misinformed but I´m aware of the subjectivity of my perspective. It´s probably what you meant. It´s fine with me that it is New York in your eyes. However, I´ve no intention to study finance. Why should we discuss it then? I used London simply as an example to clarify my meaning of mecca in this case.

Whether you prefer the education in the US or UK is your choice. I didn´t make any statement about it. Just keep in mind that almost all management gurus are in the US.
Reply 10
Original post by TBD

TBD

I would go to the US but in my situation the UK is the better choice.
Reply 11
I am glad we have you as the guardian of the Truth. Especially where the best nation of fish and chips and associated Bingo Halls are concerned.:rolleyes:

If you are going to contest the "95%" of opinionated content then you had better get busy.

TBD

Even if it is an opinion (and frankly, 95% of stuff on this forum is technically opinionated anyway) it needs to be justified for it to be credible. I just don't want viewers taking the OP's post word for word when there is no backing. Simple as that. The Mecca allusion itself wasn't 'to the point'. So I felt obligated to discuss it as well.
That doesn't work either and it's entirely unheard of.

If you haven't heard that phrase used before it may make one think that you may be a moron or may have learned English as a second language. And it works great.

So it doesn't make sense, but of course his point was made.

So it did make sense. Enough sense for you to understand his point.

Yes you are obviously smarter than people the people at the Wall Street Journal, numerous other publications around the world, and the dictionary. :rolleyes:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704700204575643331349254958.html

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mecca
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mecca?s=t
Reply 13
Original post by BERLO

At UCL a quite significant number of faculty got postgrad or undergrad degrees in the US

EDIT: And the quote regarding finance in London is just as absurd. Just because it is one of the world's financial capitals, doesn't make it the best for financial education. London isn't even the biggest, ironically New York is.

Inform yourself. That is wrong.
Reply 14
At UCL a quite significant number of faculty got postgrad or undergrad degrees in the US

UCL wasn´t among my choices. Can´t remember why, probably because they have no business school.
Reply 15
[QUOTE="BERLO;36771675"]
Original post by KLL

UCL wasn´t among my choices. Can´t remember why, probably because they have no business school.

unless you want to do an MBA that is irrelevant.
Reply 16
Why are you alluding the 'best education' to 'Mecca'? Doesn't really make much sense when Mecca is a city and the US is a country.

Are you retarded? "Mecca" is a very common metaphor for a central place. You're either trying to make some stupid politically correct statement or you're a butt-hurt Muslim, either way shut the **** up.
Reply 17
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mecca

mec·ca (mk)
n.
a. A place that is regarded as the center of an activity or interest.
b. A goal to which adherents of a religious faith or practice fervently aspire.
2. A place visited by many people: a mecca for tourists.
Reply 18
Original post by Einheri
Are you retarded? "Mecca" is a very common metaphor for a central place. You're either trying to make some stupid politically correct statement or you're a butt-hurt Muslim, either way shut the **** up.

My, my- you have a nasty attitude :colonhash:
Original post by Einheri

So true, what a complete retard. Wish him luck getting any decent job with that sort of understanding of western language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending