Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else get fined for the dumbest things?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c471)
    Well I once nearly got a ticket as I didnt realise the carpark was pay & display (it was next to sainsburys, and the meter was round a corner so I didnt really clock it). Came back to find a warden ticketing me.
    I politely explained that I hadnt realised, but knew I was in the wrong. He said if i bought a ticket for the time i had spent, he wouldnt ticket me. I thanked him, turned to go buy one, and he told me not to bother because I actually acted decently about it.

Maybe if you treat them like real people and dont lord over them with your superiority complex, they would be more inclined to show a bit of mercy. Whatever my job, i wouldnt be inclined to do any favours at a guy having a go at me.

Rules are rules though. You wouldnt kick off that the police arrested you because you only stole a little bit.
    Thing is about a traffic warden is they're never there to talk to they issue the ticket then **** off and you never speak to them, I never said I kicked off at one I'm not daft. Given the chance I'd calmly explain a situation, if they're unreasonable I'll kick off.
    I would kick off if the police arrested me for some outrageous crime yeah, ticketing a guys car for being 2 minutes late is the equivalent of arresting them for speaking slightly too loud in a public place.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got a parking ticket for parking for 10 minutes on the road outside my own house because I was unloading my housemates stuff from the car and there isn't room on the drive to open the boot, even when I appealed they forced me to pay. Grr.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaross)
    2 minutes? It's hardly the end of the ****ing world is it.

Traffic wardens are just *****, they have quotas they have to fill so they look for reasons to ticket people and catch people out (like hidden signage). Nothing wrong with enforcing a reasonable set of rules but if you're a nazi about it I have the right to hate you, and traffic wardens are a bunch of bastards who need to go out and get a real job instead of trying to rip off motorists.

Why on earth should I have to pay to park in a public street in the first damn place I don't know, as if I don't pay enough tax. Funny how road tax and council tax are supposed to look after these pothole filled stretches of ****e they call roads but we're not even allowed to park on them any more.
    Road tax doesn't exist, Vehicle Emission Duty exists to offset the **** your car gives off - not to give you nice roads.

Council tax, if you ever paid it, pays for the fire service, the police, and then partly towards council costs. Now, in regards to potholes, I wonder how many you actually reported? Won't get fixed unless you report them you know?

Thing is about a traffic warden is they're never there to talk to they issue the ticket then **** off and you never speak to them, I never said I kicked off at one I'm not daft. Given the chance I'd calmly explain a situation, if they're unreasonable I'll kick off.
    I would kick off if the police arrested me for some outrageous crime yeah, ticketing a guys car for being 2 minutes late is the equivalent of arresting them for speaking slightly too loud in a public place.
    Yes, the Gods forbid you swearing and shouting at people, and the police arresting you for making a scene. You either break rules, or you don't. You being two minutes late, is equiv to my example.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deutsch_Beth)
    I got a parking ticket for parking for 10 minutes on the road outside my own house because I was unloading my housemates stuff from the car and there isn't room on the drive to open the boot, even when I appealed they forced me to pay. Grr.
    Didn't you go all the way to the independent adjudicators? I have before over unfair parking tickets and won. If you were loading, then the parking ticket was unfair, however I grant on this you need to push it to get them to listen to you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most parking tickets can either be ignored (from private firms) or appealed and won (council issued).

And even if you lose the appeal, you won't be any worse off.

(Original post by rmhumphries)
    Didn't you go all the way to the independent adjudicators? I have before over unfair parking tickets and won. If you were loading, then the parking ticket was unfair, however I grant on this you need to push it to get them to listen to you.
    Depends if they were loading in a no loading/stopping/red route area
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    For all the time I've been driving I've never once got a ticket other than once on a speed camera,

The other times I got a ticket, believe it or not it was while on a bicycle.

The first time, I met a mate of mine who was just riding along and he was going into a Boots, we talked for a bit and he told me to watch over his bike while he ran in to get some stuff. I told him sure, I sat on the bike and held onto one of the railings.... the cops said I was riding a bike. I told them I was sitting on a bike and holding onto a railing because I was tired of standing. ****ing bitch issued a ticket on the spot for riding a bicycle on pavement.

2nd time, was turning left at an intersection, there was 1 old geezer who was taking his sweet time to cross.. it was a 2 lanes each way, he was half a lane away I got off the bike, pushed it across, got on and rode on..got pulled over by a patrol car for not yielding to pedestrians.

3rd time, it was a buses only lane... I rode anti-direction on it... short cut to a Starbucks which was the 2nd shop, except the cops were standing outside the Starbucks. Whoops..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Paid for a parking ticket, left the car for 50mins, came back to find a £55fine because I was apparently one car length out of permission. Fair enough, stupid mistake, didn't realise it was residents only.

Today £65 fine from TFL because I entered/stopped in a box junction in the morning, during intense traffic.

FFS like I'm not already being sucked dry by petrol/insurance/maintenance. /Rant

Anyone else understand my pain?
    If the parking ticket was from a private company there is almost no possible way they could have actually got the money from you - no cases get to court they rely on people paying because they think they have to. If it was a council ticket then you have to pay.

The other is just your fault, you have no complaint really.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I got fined for taking a piss in a dune area in the middle of the night, because that's where policemen hide in the Netherlands.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know guys who've got clamped for ridiculous reasons, being 2 minutes late on a parking ticket. Being about an inch to far forward in a space.
    Having their permit slightly obscured from view.
    One of them the sign was completely hidden by overgrown ivy!

Traffic wardens just look for reasons to ticket people, they're all ****ers. Do away with the lot of them and all this permit ****e, theres no free parking around here so you struggle to find places for visitors.
    Doubtless they have targets to meet, they're not actually ****ers, they're just being coerced into evil.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Paid for a parking ticket, left the car for 50mins, came back to find a £55fine because I was apparently one car length out of permission. Fair enough, stupid mistake, didn't realise it was residents only.

Today £65 fine from TFL because I entered/stopped in a box junction in the morning, during intense traffic.

FFS like I'm not already being sucked dry by petrol/insurance/maintenance. /Rant

You need to wake up a bit and pay attention to detail.

I'm glad that you were fined.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In Paris, got fined (~70 euros) for passing a red light in an empty street ... with a bicycle!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never gotten a fine, I know parking wardens/ parking attendants are absolute bastards with sad depressing lives who take pleasure in issuing tickets to people who do real jobs.

I also know how a box junction works.
    I read somewhere that a whistleblower told the papers that the Wardens have to give out at least 10 (or 11 I think) tickets a day, unsurprisingly he lost his job, but only last week he got a £20000 pay out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I got fined for setting my parking disc wrong, even though I hadn't exceeded the amount of time I could park for. I arrived at 2pm and was allowed to park until 4pm but set my disc at 12, got back at 3pm and found a ticket. Grrr.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I must say, i do sympathise with the parking ticket stuff, but the yellow box? it really is one of those things that irritates me, everyone drives into the yellow box, oblivious to the world, then realises they cant get out and blocks everyone.....REALLY gets to me lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    if you stopped in a box junction, then its your fault really.
    they are big and yellow, and you (should) know not to enter a box junction unless you can exit it, otherwise you can block other traffic
    People blocking any junction are bad drivers. Even less of an excuse when there is a giant painted yellow box.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:

Take the bus or the tube maybe?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lmao.

Started a new job just before christmas, when it was snowing quite frequently/heavily. Turns out the car park is small, so most drivers just parked out on the road opposite the building. (It's down a dead end road of an industrial type estate).

So anyway, after wading my way through the snow in my battered 1998 Corsa, I parked up in front of what I presumed was one of the other staff members car. I get out, and go to start my first day of work, only to return to my car at lunch and see a fat yellow parking ticket on my windscreen.

It turns out, that I was parked on double yellow's, though I had no vision of this due to the 5 inches of snow.

*******s.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebotobes)
    Lmao.

Started a new job just before christmas, when it was snowing quite frequently/heavily. Turns out the car park is small, so most drivers just parked out on the road opposite the building. (It's down a dead end road of an industrial type estate).

So anyway, after wading my way through the snow in my battered 1998 Corsa, I parked up in front of what I presumed was one of the other staff members car. I get out, and go to start my first day of work, only to return to my car at lunch and see a fat yellow parking ticket on my windscreen.

It turns out, that I was parked on double yellow's, though I had no vision of this due to the 5 inches of snow.

*******s.
    That would be reasonable grounds for an appeal.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    That would be reasonable grounds for an appeal.
    My dad said that, he also said I'd probably have needed to have taken some form of evidence to form my case. But I hadn't, so I didn't bother.

You only pay half if you pay for it in the first 14 days though, so it only cost me £35 instead of £70, but still ridiculous none the less.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icfan)
    In Paris, got fined (~70 euros) for passing a red light in an empty street ... with a bicycle!
    Good!

it's not even as if you have to pay fuel duty, insurance or vehicle (aka road) tax !

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 14, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.