The Student Room Group

Plans to cut freshers' week - what do you think?

So the guardina posted an article about how some Unis have planned to cut down freshers' week, or remove it altogether.

Here is the article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/mar/12/dont-shorten-freshers-week

The basic jist of the opinion from the writer is that it shouldn't be cut cuz it helps us* form friends, and that some alcohol isn't such a big deal if it helps us settle in.

What do you think?

*"us" being students

Scroll to see replies

I think it's a great idea because it's overhyped and pointless. We don't need one week dedicated to meeting new people because you still carry on meeting people after freshers week anyway. I'd get rid of it and give students an extra week to revise for the January exams :holmes:
Original post by A level Az
I think it's a great idea because it's overhyped and pointless. We don't need one week dedicated to meeting new people because you still carry on meeting people after freshers week anyway. I'd get rid of it and give students an extra week to revise for the January exams :holmes:

I bet you're the life and soul of the party
Reply 3
Having not been to university yet I can't really comment on whether five days is too much/too little in which to get to know people, but I do think that if it was shortened students would manage (after the initial strident objections).
I'd rather keep the vast amount of money that inevitably gets wasted by 99% of students during freshers week. Besides, if you stay in halls, you're bound to make friends anyway.
Students have always drunk excessively, and they always will. Cutting freshers week will not change that - although more does need to be done to prevent pressure on those who wish to abstain. I say let them have their freshers. After all, the student union doesn't hand you vodka - it's just a week with no lectures and a few events on. What students do with it is their choice.
Reply 6
Bunch of party poopers.
Reply 7
Original post by A level Az

Do you have a soul????
Reply 8
Working in conjunction with the student union to reduce the alcohol-focused activities during fresher is the answer, not cutting it or taking it away completely.
I'm not at university yet, but I'd be absolutely gutted if they got rid of Freshers' Week. I think University is a lot harder to get settled in to than school/college, so I think a week to get used to everything is pretty good. At most, you could cut down on some stuff, but I think it pretty much needs to be kept the same.
For my freshers week, what really made it for me were all the activities that didn't involve alcohol (so I went to different workshops for say drama socs) Most of my really good friends I didn't all make during freshers, but I think that it is important to get a lot of people started off for uni life :smile:
My freshers week was mostly just going out to town - I go to a city uni and there a number of unis here. I didn't go to any of the freshers events organised by uni, just club nights etc. Not that it would make a difference to me now, but had the uni cut their freshers week before my first year, it wouldn't have affected me at all.

I did go to another uni's freshers ball, mind...
Reply 12
Original post by DontWantYourBloodMoney
I'd rather keep the vast amount of money that inevitably gets wasted by 99% of students during freshers week. Besides, if you stay in halls, you're bound to make friends anyway.
Irrelevant, but is your DP the guy from Death Note? I've only seen the film.
Reply 13
Original post by thecookiemonster
I bet you're the life and soul of the party

he's an overlord, what do you think?
Reply 14
I wouldn't care either way.
Original post by Jackso
Irrelevant, but is your DP the guy from Death Note? I've only seen the film.

Yes, it's L :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by alexmagpie
Students have always drunk excessively, and they always will. Cutting freshers week will not change that - although more does need to be done to prevent pressure on those who wish to abstain. I say let them have their freshers. After all, the student union doesn't hand you vodka - it's just a week with no lectures and a few events on. What students do with it is their choice.

Agreed.
Next up, build the death star and kill James Bond.
Reply 18
If they cut freshers everyone will be too hungover to go to their intro lectures and missing them is a generally all round bad idea.
Quite a few uni's had a freshers fortnight, I really wished I had, its good to know your flat before the work kicks in.
Now I have had mine out of nothing other than jealousy of people who have theirs yet to come I think it should be removed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending