Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

French Licence Plates and UK?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Today my father took delivery of my scooter which has been registered within 'France métropolitaine' and thus has French licence plates and insurance and I wish to use it in the UK during term time however I am aware that if I go up to six months it needs to be registered and I was wondering how long do I need to keep it out of the country as it approaches the six month mark to prevent the need for registration within the UK?

Is it as simple as taking it to France for 2-4 weeks (depending on semester break length) or is a longer gap needed?

Thank you
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ask the DVLA. I doubt they would notice anyhow tbh.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can use it for 6 months in a 12 month period. I would imagine the 12 month period starts on the first day you bring the scooter over here, so if you use it for 6 months, you need to return it for another 6 months before you can use it again without registering. If you are stopped by the police, you may need to show when you first brought it here, and so on to prove you haven't had it here for more than 6 months.

(Original post by gbduo)
    Ask the DVLA. I doubt they would notice anyhow tbh.
    With the amount of ANPR cameras and the likes around these days, I imagine they could find out fairly easily.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    You can use it for 6 months in a 12 month period.
    Damn I suppose I could do it as I don't really want to use it during the winter as it will be quite cold

Cheers guys
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used my favorit car April to September.
    You won't want to be out on a bike much beyond september anyway.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 17, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.