The Student Room Group

Quirk of the Student Finance

Anyone applying with OU credits should be aware that the student finance england system cannot cope. When you register your previous study, even if self funded it will state your are not eligable for tuition fee loans.

I spoke to student finance who concluded they needed to send me forms so I could submit my application that way. They also confirmed that if you have not completed your OU degree (or any other self funded degree program) and you have never had a student loan, then you are eligable for the tuition loan, its just that the on-line system cannot cope with this particular circumstance.

Also, although this does not impact us, please be aware that you are not entitled to student finance if you already have a degree, even if this was self funded, say with the OU.
Reply 1
Original post by evening sunrise
Anyone applying with OU credits should be aware that the student finance england system cannot cope. When you register your previous study, even if self funded it will state your are not eligable for tuition fee loans.

I spoke to student finance who concluded they needed to send me forms so I could submit my application that way. They also confirmed that if you have not completed your OU degree (or any other self funded degree program) and you have never had a student loan, then you are eligable for the tuition loan, its just that the on-line system cannot cope with this particular circumstance.

Also, although this does not impact us, please be aware that you are not entitled to student finance if you already have a degree, even if this was self funded, say with the OU.

It is a well known fact that SF count previous study, and not previous financing. And an ELQ is an ELQ, regardless how that was funded. And it's also not a surprise at all that the SF online system cannot handle any application that's out of the ordinary - their system is a complete shambles lol
Original post by Shani
It is a well known fact that SF count previous study, and not previous financing. And an ELQ is an ELQ, regardless how that was funded. And it's also not a surprise at all that the SF online system cannot handle any application that's out of the ordinary - their system is a complete shambles lol

I think the self funded aspect, rather than government funded prior to fees being introduced, has not necessarily permiated to everwhere to should have based upon various posts I have read since January.
Reply 3
Original post by evening sunrise
I think the self funded aspect, rather than government funded prior to fees being introduced, has not necessarily permiated to everwhere to should have based upon various posts I have read since January.

Perhaps after a day at work my brain is a little slow right now... but could you please re-phrase that, as I haven't the foggiest what you just said :tongue:
Original post by Shani
Perhaps after a day at work my brain is a little slow right now... but could you please re-phrase that, as I haven't the foggiest what you just said :tongue:

Do not worry about it.

The thread is targeted at those folks applying with OU credits and points out the restriction on previous study, which is not as well understood as some think.
Reply 5
It's fine - it's not a degree so don't count it. Sorted this out on the phone when I first applied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending